Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain how Mayweather is past it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE REED View Post
    By the way slower doesnt mean slow.

If a car runs a 10 second 1/4 mile, and comes back the next week to run a 10.5.... Is that car slower?

Yes.

Is that car slow?

No.
    Exactly.

I'm not sure why people are perceiving 'passed his best' as 'shot'.

It's clear to see Mayweather is passed his best but he's obviously not shot.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I thought he looked great in all of those fights.

I think his peak was 06-07.

In 09-10 he was passed his peak but still close to prime.

I think after the 16th month lay off, he's clearly not the fighter he was in 2006. It's just obvious.

A fighter who's been a pro for 16 years and heading toward 36 just simply isn't going to be in his prime.
      Against mosley I thought his legs really did look shot, he was flat footed and slow to react.

I think the 16 month lay off probably did affect him physically, but with the recent activity I really do think he's improved since the Mayweather that fought Mosley he looked to have his legs back and was as quick as I've ever saw him, apart from the 135lbs division.

He's just turned 35 and he's always trained hard and kept himself in shape, I think he's defintely a better boxer than he was, he relies on his brain more than his natural athleticism more nowadays.

Comment

Hes not as quick as he was against Baldomir anymore, its just the way it is.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKoJ1iGtO4

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehMQiwxamJI

Then watch this

To me he looks aloooot better against cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyreww View Post
            Against mosley I thought his legs really did look shot, he was flat footed and slow to react.

I think the 16 month lay off probably did affect him physically, but with the recent activity I really do think he's improved since the Mayweather that fought Mosley he looked to have his legs back and was as quick as I've ever saw him, apart from the 135lbs division.

He's just turned 35 and he's always trained hard and kept himself in shape, I think he's defintely a better boxer than he was, he relies on his brain more than his natural athleticism more nowadays.
            Training from the age of 3-35 will take a toll on your body. Just because you don't take much punishment in your career doesn't mean you don't decline.

I'm sure Wilfred Benitez can attest to that.

He still has his skills, and is sharp mentally but physically it's obvious he's passed his best.

He's still fast, he's still got fast reflexes and good footwork and he's still the best fighter in the world.

But, it's obvious that he's not in his prime anymore.

Comment

Floyd is not past it.. Cotto just showed us how that the defense is not impenetrable as most of his fans think..

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Training from the age of 3-35 will take a toll on your body. Just because you don't take much punishment in your career doesn't mean you don't decline.

I'm sure Wilfred Benitez can attest to that.

He still has his skills, and is sharp mentally but physically it's obvious he's passed his best.

He's still fast, he's still got fast reflexes and good footwork and he's still the best fighter in the world.

But, it's obvious that he's not in his prime anymore.
                Maybe you are right..Physically slightly past it but for him to be called old I thought was a joke.. Roach said it and a few others have.

You think a 2006 Mayweather beats a 2012 one? Score cards? :P

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKoJ1iGtO4

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehMQiwxamJI

Then watch this

To me he looks aloooot better against cotto.
                  I think he looks much sharper against Shane.

Round 4 of the Shane fight is one of the best rounds of Mayweather's career IMO.

Comment

Maybe you are right..Physically slightly past it but for him to be called old I thought was a joke.. Roach said it and a few others have.

You think a 2006 Mayweather beats a 2012 one? Score cards? :P
                    He's not old, but he's declining.

In the face even, he looks older. Compare his argument with Brian Kenny in 2009 with his interview with him in 2011 about the Ortiz fight. You can see how much he's aged in the last 2-3 years.

I think 06 Mayweather beats 2012 Mayweather. But that would be a strange fight to watch.

Comment

if floyd is still in his prime, then kobe is still in his prime.

Comment

Working...
                      X