Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Jones & Toney: Nostalgia is Getting Old

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Jones & Toney: Nostalgia is Getting Old

by David P. Greisman - James Toney has won a championship in one division, world titles in two others. Roy Jones Jr. held titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight.

They have nearly 130 wins between them. Both will be in the Hall of Fame five years after they retire — if they ever retire.

Both are 43. The greats are no longer. Their names are all they have left.

Even that doesn’t mean as much anymore.

Toney fought Saturday night in a bout seen only by those in an arena in Mississippi. There was no television broadcast. There was no independent pay-per-view. There was no online stream. There weren’t even any highlights available on the Internet more than 24 hours after Toney beat Bobby Gunn.

Jones, meanwhile, spent one evening last week in Moscow, walking to a boxing ring wearing a robe and gloves while one of his rap songs played. He wasn’t there to fight, however, but to lip synch along to what could charitably be called his greatest hits, a musical interlude before the main event.

The feature fight was headlined by Denis Lebedev, a cruiserweight who had knocked Jones out last May and who defeated Toney by decision in November.

It was too fitting that the first song Jones performed was “Y’all Must’ve Forgot.”

“And I won’t stop boxing ‘til I retire,” he says at one point. Then later: “Y’all must’ve forgot. This is what I do. We could go on and on.” [Click Here To Read More]

This is such a sad reality and result of bad financial money management. Do not be fooled. These men do not continue to fight for the love of the sport but because they have to. The only way they've ever learned to make a buck is with their fists and there is nothing for them when their fists don't command the big bucks they once did.

Comment

Just to echo what's already been said, these men aren't fighting for glory. They're fighting because a lifetime of poor financial decisions mean they have to.

There will be many more like them from today's fighters.

Comment

I don't have anything against far-past-prime fighters still getting in the ring. But, I think that "reasonable expectations" are usually in short supply when they are spoken of. It's unfortunate that they have to continue to fight. But, I know plenty of older guys that work hard, blue-collar jobs into their 60's. That's life.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Just to echo what's already been said, these men aren't fighting for glory. They're fighting because a lifetime of poor financial decisions mean they have to.

There will be many more like them from today's fighters.
          All the reports about Roy Jones' assets give his net worth at around $45 mill. He has repeatedly said he is well off, but continues fighting because he enjoys it and "that's what I do". Well, I believe him.

Comment

IT's getting ridiculous now with this pair, Jones in particular has nothing, nothing left to offer in a boxing ring, Toney is also a shell of his former self but he could probably still beat som ok fighters.

Comment

Camacho be watchin too much WWE.

Comment

Fighters of the old fought how many times? Why do we continue to judge them based on their career choices? That's like telling a prostitute to stop hooking because her box is tore up. Although I do agree their way past their primes and now in deep water as far as their health goes, but my point is how were old fighters able to fight so many times? I mean were most of them conflicted with any type of mental conditions because of the head trauma?

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Lesnar View Post
                  IT's getting ridiculous now with this pair, Jones in particular has nothing, nothing left to offer in a boxing ring, Toney is also a shell of his former self but he could probably still beat som ok fighters.
                  Well, at least Roy was competitive with Lebedev. Toney was NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Invincible View Post
                    Well, at least Roy was competitive with Lebedev. Toney was NOT.
                    What a badge of honour!!

He looked real competitive almost swallowing his tongue on the canvas!

Comment

Working...
                    X