Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Jones & Toney: Nostalgia is Getting Old

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    What a badge of honour!!

He looked real competitive almost swallowing his tongue on the canvas!
    Ok, so Jones got knocked out with 5 seconds to go in the fight, but should Lebedev be proud of that? At least Roy won rounds. Jones of old would've toyed with that dude like he did Clinton Woods. Everyone knows this.

P.S. Why are you always trolling my posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Invincible View Post
      Ok, so Jones got knocked out with 5 seconds to go in the fight, but should Lebedev be proud of that? At least Roy won rounds. Jones of old would've toyed with that dude like he did Clinton Woods. Everyone knows this.

P.S. Why are you always trolling my posts?
      Jones was actually UP on one of the cards IN RUSSIA when he got KO'd.

Nothing wrong with these guys continuing to box, this is the vicious cycle of boxing and it has been going on since been going on. These are two of my favorites of all time, and I will continue to watch them if they fight on. I don't see James Toney showing up to your place of business and telling you to retire because you don't bag groceries as quick as you did, or you make some typo's now on your little memo's.

These guys are boxers, and they will box. I'm pretty confident Roy is going to start training people soon though, he has been promoting a few fight cards lately too all over the country.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
        Jones was actually UP on one of the cards IN RUSSIA when he got KO'd.

Nothing wrong with these guys continuing to box, this is the vicious cycle of boxing and it has been going on since been going on. These are two of my favorites of all time, and I will continue to watch them if they fight on. I don't see James Toney showing up to your place of business and telling you to retire because you don't bag groceries as quick as you did, or you make some typo's now on your little memo's.

These guys are boxers, and they will box. I'm pretty confident Roy is going to start training people soon though, he has been promoting a few fight cards lately too all over the country.
        Except fighting is not a right, but a privilege — they're allowed to do something they wouldn't be allowed to do legally on the street, and because of that there are rules and precautions put in place.

Antwun Echols shouldn't be fighting any more either, but he still is. He's one of those cases where you have to protect a guy from himself.

It's one thing for James Toney or Roy Jones to be facing the Bobby Gunns or Max Alexander of this world — just like it's one thing for Jermain Taylor to be facing a Jessie Nicklow rather than an Arthur Abraham.

It's okay for Evander Holyfield to be facing some of the guys he's facing rather than the heavyweight champions.

But everyone needs to be watched carefully, because when they start to struggle or take punishment against even some of these lesser guys, that's worrisome.

And when their speech becomes slurred — witness Tommy Hearns, for example — then that indicates we waited for too long.

-David
        Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/fightingwords2
        Or "Like" my boxing writing page on Facebook at facebook.com/fightingwordsboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
          Except fighting is not a right, but a privilege — they're allowed to do something they wouldn't be allowed to do legally on the street, and because of that there are rules and precautions put in place.

Antwun Echols shouldn't be fighting any more either, but he still is. He's one of those cases where you have to protect a guy from himself.

It's one thing for James Toney or Roy Jones to be facing the Bobby Gunns or Max Alexander of this world — just like it's one thing for Jermain Taylor to be facing a Jessie Nicklow rather than an Arthur Abraham.

It's okay for Evander Holyfield to be facing some of the guys he's facing rather than the heavyweight champions.

But everyone needs to be watched carefully, because when they start to struggle or take punishment against even some of these lesser guys, that's worrisome.

And when their speech becomes slurred — witness Tommy Hearns, for example — then that indicates we waited for too long.

-David
          Or "Like" my boxing writing page on Facebook at facebook.com/fightingwordsboxing
          The problem with trying to be noble and look out for someones best interest is this is boxing, it is a business not a sport. RJJ and James Toney have names, names fighters, promoters, and sanctioning bodies will no doubt continue to exploit for profit. Nobody cares in boxing because nobody has to.

These are men who have paid their dues, and I am in no position to tell James Toney, RJJ, or Evander Holyfield what to do with their lives. They have been around long enough to know the dangers of the sport, and they have no doubt witnessed many of their friends and colleagues fight on far past their best days for whatever reasons(money, glory, etc.).

While I agree with everything your saying in principle, it's just not realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
            The problem with trying to be noble and look out for someones best interest is this is boxing, it is a business not a sport. RJJ and James Toney have names, names fighters, promoters, and sanctioning bodies will no doubt continue to exploit for profit. Nobody cares in boxing because nobody has to.

These are men who have paid their dues, and I am in no position to tell James Toney, RJJ, or Evander Holyfield what to do with their lives. They have been around long enough to know the dangers of the sport, and they have no doubt witnessed many of their friends and colleagues fight on far past their best days for whatever reasons(money, glory, etc.).

While I agree with everything your saying in principle, it's just not realistic.
            I don't think anybody made money off Jones-Alexander, which drew next to nobody and was streamed online by next to nobody, nor off Toney-Gunn.

You're right, of course, in that their name value is still appealing to some. But there's a reason certain guys can now only fight in states with weak commissions.

And just because a football player with a concussion wants to get back on the field to help his team doesn't mean we should allow him to just because they know the dangers of the sport.

Mind you, for every Toney, Jones or Holyfield with a big name and our big worries, there are countless lesser fighters whom nobody pays attention to and are in just as much danger, if not worse.

But the sanctioning bodies are there to keep the fighters safe. And we are here to make sure that fighters don't allow themselves to take unnecessary punishment — otherwise referees need not ever stop a one-sided fight.

-David

Comment

Toney is, & always will b nothing but a Pillsbury Dough Boy A** Hole...

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                All the reports about Roy Jones' assets give his net worth at around $45 mill. He has repeatedly said he is well off, but continues fighting because he enjoys it and "that's what I do". Well, I believe him.
                Bull****.

The guy was contemplating retirement back in his prime because he had the money and much like Floyd Mayweather, he got tired of defending his invincibility (even though he wasn't undefeated like Floyd).

But once lost that, any talk of retirement was over.

Comment

all time greats.

Comment

isn't there medical commisions and doctors that examine these guys like Toney and Roy Jones?? sad these to inflated balloons get to keep fighting without any doctor saying they are unfit. hell they cannot even formulate a word or a coherent thought.

Comment

these nobody ass news article writers be feeling themselves.

BIG respect to two of the greatest in my lifetime

The people who have never stepped in the ring seem to talk the most ****.

Them an Pacquiao fans.

FOH!
                      Last edited by DoomCity202; 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X