Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Don't Americans Stand Behind And Appreciate Floyd Mayweather Like They Should?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
    Americans dont appreciate wife beating thug acting fight ducking pu$$ies. Simple as that! Floyds a piece of human garbage. a worthless life species. Why go all patriotic over that scum fu(k!
    and how many wars is america in? and why?

Comment

I always wondered the same thing.

There is alot if Hate for Floyd, it's not like people just don't like him, alot of them hate him.

Fair enough he's hardly a gem outside the ring and has done some ****ed up ****,
      But I just don't understand how people can't appreciate his ability as a boxer.
      I could never get my head around how any fan of the sport dislikes him,
      He's one of the best ever and someone we should appreciate.

I don't always like how Flipinos act on here in relation to there fighters,
      But one thing I admire is there loyalty. No matter Manny does they stand by,
      Sure maybe sometimes they can be annoyingly biased, but they stand him either way.
      I work with Flipinos and they are the most loyal people I've ever met,
      They stick by each other like there is no tomorrow, gotta admire that.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
        I'm not stating that you should support him unconditionally, but you should at least appreciate him and be grateful for what he has done and continues to do for the sport of boxing and it's fans. The sport would be far less entertaining and interesting without him. A fact proven by the considerable drop off in interest in boxing during his layoffs. He doesn't have to fight anymore.

Floyd plays an annoying, flamboyant character in order to get people interested in him, whether they want to see him win or lose. It's smart business and I don't see why so many people take it seriously. You can tell that he's not serious with a lot of it and while he plays a false character, at least he's not being dishonest with it, it's not far from the real him. The only real differences are that his character is very outspoken, aggressive and flamboyant which generally isn't the case in reality. Yes he can be annoying and I don't enjoy some of the things that he does outside the ring, but at least he gives you honesty and entertainment. As apposed to Manny "Stipulation-Man" Pacquiao who is not only incredibly boring outside of the ring but who also has a completey fake and scripted image. The way that he is presented couldn't be further from the truth.
        Alright, that part right there is difficult for me to read without stepping back. The persona part, is unfortunately, good and bad. Floyd, and apparently many people along with him, embrace the good and wish to negate the bad. The persona is good because it's good business and brings in controversy and big numbers, which in turn brings in good money for Mayweather. However, although controversy will always bring in good numbers, the negative part of the controversy means that he will be put on blast for anything he does. The media will cling on to controversy more than anything else, you know this to be true. And the media will run with it and, for better or worse, cause influence over the general populous. Nobody who follows the craft of boxing would ever doubt that Floyd is good at his art. To do so is silly, and anybody who negates that is a fool. I like a good mix of boxing and knockout percentage, myself. I'm sure most would. The unfortunate thing is that Floyd tends to concentrate on boxing over knocking someone out. That hurts him, ironically.
        This is why Tyson was such a phenomenon, because he could be a total a$$hole outside of the ring, but being such fed into the anger and destruction that was evident inside the ring. It worked for him, even though it wasn't intentional.
        There are two facets to the Money persona. Being able to talk the talk and being able to walk the walk. Floyd does the talk real well...almost too well at times, because people tune in to watch the other guy whoop on him. Then it doesn't happen, and that's where (to the general public) he doesn't live up to the Money person in being able to walk the walk. If you talk trash you better whoop someone's a$$. What does this mean to the general public? You better viciously put someone to sleep or put the serious hurt on someone.
        I appreciate a good boxing match, and I appreciate that Floyd whoops people by lowering their output and capitalizing on this by out-punching them, but I also understand the backlash towards the lack of knockout "killer instinct" that one will attach to a jerky personal like "Money".

Personally, I think the Money personal is tired now. It serves no real purpose anymore. Floyd is highly recognized because of it, and if he tones that persona down there is nothing else to focus on but the natural fighting ability. I would like to see him tone it down on camera, to allow for his natural talent to shine and be the spotlight, instead of his clubbing, money throwing, arm-candy having self that he, almost desperately nowadays, portrays on camera.

Imagine this...what if he went back to being Pretty Boy. That's all it would take to shine a light on his god-given talent. Have him state that he wants to be judge on his performance, and nothing more...and don't show off on camera anymore, but show more fierce dedication to outperforming his foe. He does this, and you can bet the bank people will tune in to watch him win more so than to watch him lose.

Comment

So basically you wanna know why Yanks dont nuthug as hard as we Brits do?

Comment

When Floyd is in the UK he's swamped at gyms and training sessions, he's like a rock star. If he was British the media would have had a field day on him but i reckon he would still be a national treasure most of the country would back every time he fought. You guys on here would never hear the end of how good he was either lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
              I always wondered the same thing.

There is alot if Hate for Floyd, it's not like people just don't like him, alot of them hate him.

Fair enough he's hardly a gem outside the ring and has done some ****ed up ****,
              But I just don't understand how people can't appreciate his ability as a boxer.
              I could never get my head around how any fan of the sport dislikes him,
              He's one of the best ever and someone we should appreciate.

I don't always like how Flipinos act on here in relation to there fighters,
              But one thing I admire is there loyalty. No matter Manny does they stand by,
              Sure maybe sometimes they can be annoyingly biased, but they stand him either way.
              I work with Flipinos and they are the most loyal people I've ever met,
              They stick by each other like there is no tomorrow, gotta admire that.
              Here's the thing...most people pose as fans but are nothing more than fans of the persona and look of the fighter.

I always tuned in to watch De La Hoya fight, as a fan of the sport. But inevitabely, when I would go to watch PPV's at friends houses, there were always a group of girls present rooting for DLH...why? Were they fans of the sport and his ability? No...many times they only knew the opponent by the last name and nothing more. They were not fans of DLH's abilities, but fans of DLH, the pretty boy, groomed to look like a shining star. Yeesh, that sounded weird just reading it over...sad but true, though.

That's what you have now...except on the opposite end of the spectrum. Oh, trust me, Floyd would love to be on the level of fan love as DLH was, but his current persona doesn't allow for it.

Personally, I think his Money character is old and boring by now, but my admiration for his skill in the squared circles has not faded one bit. He's a master at what he does and gets my kudos for it. But I know one thing...there aren't too many girls watching his fights because of him being attractive, but rather because he's a jerk. Big difference.

Do yourself a favor, though...don't confuse a true fan of boxing with the casual PPV viewer who will easily bandwagon to sound "in the know" at the time of the main event. Unfortunately, many folks who post here are just that at heart, even if they know a million and one boxing stats.

Comment

Americans don't really get behind a boxer, or athlete for that matter, because were such a diverse nation and we like to voice every opinion we have. We're also really into the whole shock culture and controversy is a big seller here; reason why you have talentless people like Kim Kardashian, Snookie, Octomom, The Situation, and a host of other schmucks getting all the headlines. This is also the country that will openly bash their president and protest for any little thing. Back to boxing, I think Floyd has tons of supporters here (with an equal amount of haters) reason he sells the most PPVs, it's just not a nationalistic thing like other countries. British fans loved Ricky Hatton because he was a British boxer, Filipinos love Paquiao because he's a Filipino boxer, Mexicans love Canelo because he's a Mexican fighter. Americans love (and hate) Floyd because he's a great boxer, and a controversial figure, see the difference? Lebron James would be loved in any country but look at all the "hate" he gets here, yet he's the top seller in basketball jerseys and the biggest name right now in the NBA. Hope I made any sense with my rambling.
                Last edited by _original_; 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                  This is just something that I don't understand. When you look at every other country it seems like they always stand behind their boxers and support them wholeheartedly, through victory and defeat, the good times and the bad times. However with Floyd, he gets treated very unfairly and doesn't receive .

cause he don't have respect for his elders , has no class, lies thru his teeth, and beats woman. what is there to like?

Comment

Originally posted by 1nonlymre View Post
                    Alright, that part right there is difficult for me to read without stepping back. The persona part, is unfortunately, good and bad. Floyd, and apparently many people along with him, embrace the good and wish to negate the bad. The persona is good because it's good business and brings in controversy and big numbers, which in turn brings in good money for Mayweather. However, although controversy will always bring in good numbers, the negative part of the controversy means that he will be put on blast for anything he does. The media will cling on to controversy more than anything else, you know this to be true. And the media will run with it and, for better or worse, cause influence over the general populous. Nobody who follows the craft of boxing would ever doubt that Floyd is good at his art. To do so is silly, and anybody who negates that is a fool. I like a good mix of boxing and knockout percentage, myself. I'm sure most would. The unfortunate thing is that Floyd tends to concentrate on boxing over knocking someone out. That hurts him, ironically.
                    This is why Tyson was such a phenomenon, because he could be a total a$$hole outside of the ring, but being such fed into the anger and destruction that was evident inside the ring. It worked for him, even though it wasn't intentional.
                    There are two facets to the Money persona. Being able to talk the talk and being able to walk the walk. Floyd does the talk real well...almost too well at times, because people tune in to watch the other guy whoop on him. Then it doesn't happen, and that's where (to the general public) he doesn't live up to the Money person in being able to walk the walk. If you talk trash you better whoop someone's a$$. What does this mean to the general public? You better viciously put someone to sleep or put the serious hurt on someone.
                    I appreciate a good boxing match, and I appreciate that Floyd whoops people by lowering their output and capitalizing on this by out-punching them, but I also understand the backlash towards the lack of knockout "killer instinct" that one will attach to a jerky personal like "Money".

Personally, I think the Money personal is tired now. It serves no real purpose anymore. Floyd is highly recognized because of it, and if he tones that persona down there is nothing else to focus on but the natural fighting ability. I would like to see him tone it down on camera, to allow for his natural talent to shine and be the spotlight, instead of his clubbing, money throwing, arm-candy having self that he, almost desperately nowadays, portrays on camera.

Imagine this...what if he went back to being Pretty Boy. That's all it would take to shine a light on his god-given talent. Have him state that he wants to be judge on his performance, and nothing more...and don't show off on camera anymore, but show more fierce dedication to outperforming his foe. He does this, and you can bet the bank people will tune in to watch him win more so than to watch him lose.

Good points. I have noticed that he isn't talking as much "trash" as he used to be and is now using a far more aggressive and fan friendly style in the ring. So I think he is going to be more appreciated as long as this continues. Which I think it will. I'm not annoyed that people pay to see him lose, because like you pointed out, that comes with the territory when you have a persona like that. I don't think he really cares about that, but whats really annoying is the lack of recognition and respect he gets despite dominating the game for almost 15 years. I think Bob Arum has had a major impact on that. Alot of gullible boxing fans buy into what he says, and the fact that a lot of the US Media is in his pocket means that unfortunately, that is going to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
                      When Floyd is in the UK he's swamped at gyms and training sessions, he's like a rock star. If he was British the media would have had a field day on him but i reckon he would still be a national treasure most of the country would back every time he fought. You guys on here would never hear the end of how good he was either lol
                      Exactly. If he was from the UK, he would be a national icon and hero. I think it's because in the UK boxing fans appreciate the technical aspect of boxing more so than Americans. Americans tend to base their opinions mainly on his charachter and what he says, and less on what he does inside the ring. Which I think is wrong. I wish they could just see through that and appreciate him for what he is, which is the best boxer of this era by far and a true ATG. His persona is so obviously fake, people are stupid to buy into it, when you watch him in a interview he comes across totally different than how people like to portray him.

Comment

Working...
                      X