No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: DiBella: If Kirkland Wants Martinez, We'll Do it Any Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0ndsj0ns20 View Post
    I've got the exact opposite opinion. The last 2 fights that he has some relative trouble with (although greatly exaggerated) were guys who laid back and tried to make him come forward and counter him. Kirkland is going to come in much the same way that PW did, and he's got a big problem doing that, he doesn't have as good a chin as PW does. Kirkland gets blacked out by Martinez.
    Kirkland has a damn good jab, can cut off the ring and can throw some leather. Kirkland isn't Darren Barker and Macklin.

I agree he runs the chance of getting KO'd because of his style, like anyone else who fights Martinez.

But Kirkland has the x-factor. Do you know what the x-factor is? Anne Wolfe.

Anne Wolfe will beat/prepare Kirkland 10x worse than anything Martinez could ever do. Kirkland might be walking down the street and Anne Wolfe will hop out a bush and clock him with a straight right, just to make sure he can take punches he can't see coming.

The question is, what will Martinez do when he's getting tagged by bombs, while his opponent is taking his best shots?

Comment

Why does Kirkland have to go up yet Martinez says he's willing to fight at 154 for Pacman or Mayweather? :P

Kirkland beats Martinez anyway, i'm sure of it. Martinez has such piss poor balance Kirkland would be getting flash knockdowns all night long.

Comment

I was just thinking about this fight if Kirkland beats Molina he should go up to MW and challenge Martinez Kirkland all out pressure style will present some problems for Martinez

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          Kirkland has a damn good jab, can cut off the ring and can throw some leather. Kirkland isn't Darren Barker and Macklin.

I agree he runs the chance of getting KO'd because of his style, like anyone else who fights Martinez.

Anne Wolfe will beat/prepare Kirkland 10x worse than anything Martinez could ever do. Kirkland might be walking down the street and Anne Wolfe will hop out a bush and clock him with a straight right, just to make sure he can take punches he can't see coming.

The question is, what will Martinez do when he's getting tagged by bombs, while his opponent is taking his best shots?
          I don't think you can train a chin :P. If you can't take a shot to the face you just can't take it and best thing you can do is try to avoid them. For example, Amir Khan has no chin but his style is more suitable to try and avoid those big shots but not Kirkland's. Also, I think that first fight vs Williams Martinez showed us he can take some pretty good shots.

And all that stuff you pointed out might be exactly why Kirkland's body might not last too long in this sport especially if he starts getting KO'ed or being in wars like that one round with Angulo.

Comment

You're overrating Anne Wolfe almost as much as you're overrating Kirkland

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
              I was just thinking about this fight if Kirkland beats Molina he should go up to MW and challenge Martinez Kirkland all out pressure style will present some problems for Martinez
              Erm I think its been pointed out that Martinez problems are guys with tight D who don't pressure. Something like Rigo's problem. One way we can prove this is, look at the way Macklin came out. That's not his usual style but they changed it up and Martinez was having problems and had to adjust.
              Last edited by .:: JSFD26 ::.; 03-20-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I think Sergio knocks Kirkland out and I'm a huge Kirkland fan. It would be a great match up, and we'd see what Sergio can do while being pressured like never before, by a guy who can punch like no one else around that weight.

I'd rather see Kirkland-Alvarez though and Martinez-Lara. More interesting fights to me.

And we know Sergio-Kirkland isn't happening anytime soon. Kirkland is set with Molina and will probably have to fight Vanes as well, and Sergio seems set with Andy Lee most likely.

While I think Kirkland could easily go to 160 and fight, why should he have to??? According to Lou, "the guy eats Steak and mashed f**king potatos all week and still only weighed 157, he weighed 154 a couple days ago". And Sergio has said on numerous occasions that he is really a 154 lb guy and he could easily fight there.
                Last edited by 4Corners; 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Mismatch easy win

Kirkland is no match for martinez none. Kirkland gets Ko'd easy. Not in Martinez's league.

Comment

The Kirkland Molina fight won't even be close. Kirk will annihilate Molina. If Molina had more punching power, I might reconsider. I know Ishida doesn't have punching power either; I understand that.

Anyway, that said, after seeing Martinez's last few fights, I'm not convinced he's comfortable with fighters that apply pressure.

Kirkland would apply great pressure and land huge shots on Martinez. I actually have Kirk winning the fight.
                    I have 50M that says Molina takes care of Kirkland and nulls the conversation of Sergio vs Kirkland.
                    Martinez will eat up Kirklands pressure and smoke him so easily i would be shocked if it went past round 5.

Fancy that Molina vs Kirkland bet? You could double your points if you are right

Comment

but yea , Martinez sparks him out worse than Ishida
                      Last edited by LeG00N; 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X