No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Cotto: Weight Was Breaking Point in Pacquiao Talks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josenoway View Post
    So when it was Floyd, the opponent was the right size, but the MGM was too small.

But when it was Cotto, the opponent was too big, but the MGM was the right size.

Post of the year! Green K

Comment

The rematch is a joke and 148 is an even bigger joke.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        It sure doesn't sound as if Cotto had to sign a multiple-fight deal with GBP in order to get this fight. Would like to hear an answer to that question.
        Cotto said that he wants to leave his options open. He dont want to be in the same mess, even when it is better with GBP. So for him to fight under their promotional banner and not signing a contract, he is not getting a guaranteed purse. The terms of this fight is non guarantee purse and a split of all earnings. Not 50/50, obviously. I believe is more like 70/30.

Comment

That's fine. Pac doesn't want to leave welterweight, Cotto doesn't want to go down. Can't blame either.

Comment

Originally posted by TonkaJones View Post
            I agree I love Pac but he fought Margarito at 150lb & fought at WW but wanted Cotto at 145lb in the 1st fight. I could understand if he had never fought at that weight but he's giving the impression that its ok to fight Margarito at that weight but with Cotto he feels like he needs to take a little weight off him. I love Pac & Floyd im a huge fan of both but I hate catchweights to suit fighters & Floyd is doing the right thing fighting Cotto at his weight. In my opinion the sactioning bodies shouldn't be sanctioning world title fights at catch weights
            Sorry to respond to you only because others wrote simular things. But, Pacquiao said BEFORE and AFTER the Margarito fight that he wasn't fighting above 147 again... Two factors you guys are missing Manny is a 140 pounder at best... Second you shouldn't be suprised if a guy has a fight at 150 and weighs inn at 144.5 against a guy that is taller (5 inches) longer reach (6 inches) and weight 17 pounds on fight night... Manny wasn't even 149 on fight night... To ask Manny to move up to 154 12 pounds above his walk around weight is kind of crazy. He is 5'6.5" and a 143 pounds and anything above 147 is too much... Floyd on the other hand walks around at 150 which anything above the 147 limit is JrMW. Which made the Mayweather vs. Marquez fight (catchweight) insane to me and especial when Floyd came in 2 pounds over. In boxing anything between 148 and 154 is a Jr MW because the WW limit is 147... Manny who has never weighed inn at 147 since moving to WW is clearly not a JrMW... Cotto says he is not a WW so I don't see a problem with Cotto asking hey even thought you said before and after the Margarito fight you will never fight above 147 again because you weighed inn at 144.5 for a 150 pound fight and was outweighed 17 pounds in the ring, knowing all that have you changed you mind? And likewise Manny asking Cotto hey you tried to get Margarito to go down to 151 before accepting 153to defend your own 154 pound belt, so are you comfortable at 154 can you still make WW? There is nothing wrong with both guys saying no... Anybody who thinks Manny should fight at 154 or 150 again for that matter is insane. He hasn't even weighed in at 147 for a WW fight yet and has never weighed in above 150 on fight night... Where Floyd and Cotto always weigh over 150 on fight night since both guys moved to WW... Easy to understand when you use reason. Manny is just to small for 150 or 154... Just like his classic counterparts that made him famous are... Nobody expects Barrera, Marquez, are Morales to fight at 150 or 154 so why Manny??? Because he tried 150 once and came in at 144.5... He's just to small to fight above WW, hell he is even small for a WW, PERIOD
            Last edited by Stl_Buay; 02-03-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

If Floyd Boxes with Cotto it will be a nice chess match where cotto gets picked apart, if Floyd pressures him like he did Mosley, Cotto dies in the ring, it's that simple..lol...And I like Cotto but we have to be realistic here. It's just sad though because I would rather see another fighter take the beating not my boy Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by jtcs1981 View Post
                Cotto said that he wants to leave his options open. He dont want to be in the same mess, even when it is better with GBP. So for him to fight under their promotional banner and not signing a contract, he is not getting a guaranteed purse. The terms of this fight is non guarantee purse and a split of all earnings. Not 50/50, obviously. I believe is more like 70/30.
                Good for Miguel and way to get the ball rolling for his own promotional banner. I saw a lot of people saying that he would have to sign with GBP in order to get this fight and I didn't see the logic in that, or the leverage that could be used to twist his arm.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  That's fine. Pac doesn't want to leave welterweight, Cotto doesn't want to go down. Can't blame either.
                  but but but..... we need to blame somebody

Comment

Originally posted by leonthegee View Post
                    148 is hilarious. They probably would of forced Cotto to put up his title too.
                    regardless...cotto got beat convincingly the first time....

Comment

Team Pacquiao have a Tin Ear. People hate catchweights.

Comment

Working...
                      X