Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes: “The Klitschko brothers aren’t carrying the sport."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If black american boxers ruled the lower weights for years and years like the HW division, they would be considered weak right now as well. I'm talking 105-122.

Notice how the media isn't paying much attention to upper weight classes not dominated by an American?

Some media and fans just like to downgrade it if their guys aren't dominating. Klits have that curse.

Comment

Originally posted by Superflo777 View Post
      Nice to hear power was only secondary for Tyson when it was actually his primary key to success from 1990 on, and especially post-prison, when he was only relying on KO power instead of movement or speed. The claim "only contenders in the 70's and 80's had some boxing skills" is also a big generalization and you should know it.

And heavyweights of today only part time fighters? This more fits into the 50's, 60's and 70's when Marciano and Ali reigned and policemen and part-time fighters like Wepner were considered worthy contenders. Many contenders of today like Solis actually had extensive amateur background and boxed from a young age on, unlike you claimed.

- post jail it was primary. I'm clearly talking pre-jail.

- Many, not all. The skills on display are plain to see. There's a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
        They held their titles for as long as Valuev held his yet they didn't fight him to unify. Haye takes hit title and they're quick to fight him. Read between the lines.

No? Why are you so compelled to respond to Klitlicking claims then??

Anyone who claims the Klitschkos ducked Valuev is not to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirao View Post
          Of course you are, you saying the Klitschkos ducked Valuev (lol) has exposed you as such. It would be better if you just admitted it instead of trying to appear unbiased while posting BS.
          Exactly -- good post.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
            - post jail it was primary. I'm clearly talking pre-jail.

- Many, not all. The skills on display are plain to see. There's a big difference.
            Cabbies, bartenders, bouncers: these were far more prevalent in the supposed "good old days" of the heavyweight division than they are now. The K-Bros aren't fighting part-time fighters....

Comment

The good old days are the good old days because the fights were entertaining. However there is a big difference between sports and entertainment. Sports do not have to be entertaining in order to be sports. Entertainment does not equal superior athleticism or skill, it may, but it does not have to. Be it football or boxing, a superior team or fighter might appear methodical and boring, because they do not take risks, they execute their program to the t, and save the flash eliminating the risk of a **** up. They do not get hit, they do not let in goals, they simply win because if their discipline and skill.

Sorry fellas, but the good old days was mostly ****ty athletes lacing it up, getting in the ring and slugging it out. Hence the entertainment. They were not particularly good, this is simply fact, just because guys got hit and hit back for 15 rounds does not mean that these guys where better.

The elite fighters have always been elite, regardless of era, this is with any sport. But the general bunch in any weight division is better today. There is simply a lot more competition.

You simply have to ask yourself, why do you watch sports? I watch the NBA because I like the show, I cant be bothered watching any other ball league because to me its boring, I play basketball my own damn self, my appreciation of the sport is very different.

Boxing is a whole different story, I'll watch a boring methodical Klitschko fight because I see boxing as a combat competition where one has to defeat the other, I watch it to learn, not to be entertained. Often you come across a blockbuster fight which is great, but that is not my primary drive for boxing.

And sorry guys back in the day wouldn't hold down anything.

Today we have fighters from all over the world, where back in the day it was 80% American, or bordering America.

Many fighters today have Olympic background, meaning they were schooled in boxing since they were kids.

Training methods today are light years ahead of the old times. Athletes are bigger, stronger, faster. They take months to train for a single fight.

Good old days???Common, I respect any man that put on gloves but GENERALLY speaking those old timers wouldn't do **** today.

The sport has evolved, it is more about boxing than it has ever been. Before you had to be a tough bastard that could hit, not much else.

Good old days..............yea right.

Comment

Not a knock on the Klitschkos, but they really aren't carrying the sport. Holmes wasn't the most popular champion, but I do feel he is greatly underrated and superior to either of the Klitschko brothers.

Comment

The Klitschkos are carrying the HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION, not the sport. The ones who are carrying the sport are Pacquiao and Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    If black american boxers ruled the lower weights for years and years like the HW division, they would be considered weak right now as well. I'm talking 105-122.

Notice how the media isn't paying much attention to upper weight classes not dominated by an American?

Some media and fans just like to downgrade it if their guys aren't dominating. Klits have that curse.
                    All fighters get bashed by somebody. The American media did the same to Lennox Lewis so your racial reference doesn't hold up. American media is going to cover their fighters more and there is nothing wrong with that. You think the Russian media going is going to favor African American fighters over the Klitschko's?

I get tired of people whining over any criticism the Klitschko's get as if they are above it. They are not "cursed."

Greater fighters than either brother have received unfavorable media
                    coverage and that includes Holmes.
                    Last edited by joseph5620; 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                      All fighters get bashed by somebody. The American media did the same to Lennox Lewis so your racial reference doesn't hold up. American media is going to cover their fighters more and there is nothing wrong with that. You think the Russian media going is going to favor African American fighters over the Klitschko's?

I get tired of people whining over any criticism the Klitschko's get as if they are above it.
                      Greater fighters than either brother has received unfavorable media coverage and t
                      that includes Holmes.
                      But yet Lewis is considered one of the top best since the Ali era.

Of course people get bashed but the Klits have gotten it worse than any other HW in history it seems.

Comment

Working...
                      X