No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ismayl Sillakh – A Star Hopes to Be Born in 2012

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norton View Post
    LOL. Those who supports Sillakh "because he is black" need to relax a little. He's mother, who raised him, is white, he grew up in white culture, and his black father who left woman with three children is definetly not a hero to Ismail so STFU! I'm from Ukraine, and all boxing fans that I know supports and respect Sillakh, so if you don't know what you are saying just STFU again.
    Thank you Norton!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      By Thomas Gerbasi - Contrary to popular belief, fighters aren’t made in the ring or the gym. Instead, that die is cast way before the gloves are laced up and mouthpieces are in. In the case of light heavyweight up and comer Ismayl Sillakh, his path was set on the streets of Zaporozhye, the city in southeastern Ukraine where he was born to a Ukrainian mother and West African father.

Favoring his father, a Sierra Leone native, Sillakh’s skin tone didn’t match that of most of his peers in the former Soviet Union, and racial slurs soon became a daily occurrence. Making matters worse was that his father traveled to England and left the family, which included Sillakh’s older and younger brother, when the future contender was just five. Soon, every day turned into a fight.

“My mother stayed alone with us three boys, and it was tough,” Sillakh told BoxingScene. “We were always fighting in the streets because kids would be like ‘hey n****r,’ and we would fight every day. Maybe this is why I went to boxing because I was fighting every day and my mother needed to put my energy in another way.”

It was a decision no one, save his future opponents, regretted. In the gym by the age of seven, Sillakh evolved into a top flight amateur, reportedly winning over 300 bouts, as well as a Silver medal in the 2005 World Championships. It was a love affair that started when he was young, through the power of video and local competitions, and still continues to this day.

[Click Here To Read More]
      I know I need to be slapped for this but I haven't seen one single fight from this dude...but I've been hearing so many good things about him.....as soon as I get some time I'm gonna check out his scraps

Comment

I have high hopes for Sillakh and have been impressed with what I have seen so far, I want to see him step up his level of comp and see how his chin holds up to fighters with reputable power.

Comment

He "decided" his amateur career was over and to turn pro when he got busted for steroids and wouldn't have been able to compete at the 2008 Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
            He "decided" his amateur career was over and to turn pro when he got busted for steroids and wouldn't have been able to compete at the 2008 Olympics.
            What was he caught with?

Comment

I like Sillakh but I want to see if he's able to handle the best in the division. He hasn't really fought anyone.

Comment

Working...
              X