Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the past greats really that great!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
    Please tell me who im repeating
    Skip that part of my post and respond to the other part...

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      I don't know about diet, but do you know anything about if Robinson drank alcohol or smoked anything? Because Floyd supposedly does not drink or smoke, and is always caught with a bottle of water at clubs. I am on the old school fighters side here, if you wanna call it that way, I am actually just on the side that styles make fights, and a new school fighter has as much of a chance at beating an old school fighter and vice versa, it all depends on style. But people who smoke cigarette or drink are not going to look 100% against a health freak like Floyd. It's like a guy who regularly smokes weed and tries to play basketball, he'll be huffing and puffing in no time.
      I absolutely agree with that.

As for Robinson, I think Ray Robinson would probably drink a little, not excessively. I'm not too sure in all honesty. I imagine it could be quite possible late in his career as opposed to early.

Not sure about smoking, possibly a cigar or two. Again, I'm not entirely sure of how much he were to smoke or drink, if at all.

I'm quite sure he didn't smoke like a Monzon or drink like a Liston.

But, it's not like an abundence of fighters drank and smoked. Most athletes, old school or new school didn't really do either.

Of course, some did.

Comment

Athletes have evolved. In some Olympic events records times from the 40s would be laughble for today's Olympic events
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
          You don't even know what you're talking about.

I am from a boxing family..

Training and diet have REGRESSED not advanced..

Boxing isn't like football or basketball...these guys today are GOING BACKWARDS..

My Grandad and the guys before him have forgotten more about boxing...training...and diet..than fighters today could ever learn.

You are only repeating what some Skip Bayless or Micheal Wilbon type pulled out of his as.s

Today's fighters don't even have the stanima to employ the gruelling 'bob n' weave' style..

hmmm

WHERE ARE THE BOB AND WEAVERS...?????

Defense is the hardest thing to learn about boxing..it takes a level of commitment and HEART most fighters today lack...

Today

Defense is all but a lost art.
          Ok....it makes the op's question that much more relevant then. Sure training and diet have regressed. Some of the past greats didnt exactly take advantage of all the superior training and wisdom of their age either though.

Joe louis for example I wouldnt doubt if he had the cardio to fight 30rds if he had to but all the extra cardio didnt give him superior movement. He'd be considered a plodder today. He didnt exactly have superior handspeed. And he had a big gaping hole in his defense that allowed him to be knocked out by shmelling. A big gapin hole thats considered a basic fundamental of defense today. Just keep your damn hands up.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
            Ok....it makes the op's question that much more relevant then. Sure training and diet have regressed. Some of the past greats didnt exactly take advantage of all the superior training and wisdom of their age either though.

Joe louis for example I wouldnt doubt if he had the cardio to fight 30rds if he had to but all the extra cardio didnt give him superior movement. He'd be considered a plodder today. He didnt exactly have superior handspeed. And he had a big gaping hole in his defense that allowed him to be knocked out by shmelling. A big gapin hole thats considered a basic fundamental of defense today. Just keep your damn hands up.
            Schmeling could punch pretty good.

And when Joe Louis was in shape the fight went a tad differently.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              What technology are you talking about though?

It sounds like fighters arms are being surgically removed with steel arms that can punch through walls or something. Man you guys are making these new fighters sound like they're part of some science fiction movie. Styles make fights, you put a guy like Margarito in with a Sugar Ray Robinson, all the science in the world won't help Margarito win that fight.
              Cardio Machines? More advance boxing equipment?

Just naming a few...

Ohh and that's a horrible comparison BTW.

Comment

everyone is getting off topic. The thread has nothing to do with diet, nutrition, who couls go for longer.

Its simply about boxing technique. I completly agree with the people on this board that are saying olden day fighters were much more conditioned than todays fighters. But were they better boxers?? thats the question.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post

There's not a Heavy today that moves as well as Joe Louis...not even close..

Believe me...

He would not be considered a plodder..especially with lumbering slow-motion robots like the Klits around to make him look even better.

Go look at some of Joe's fights on youtube...

IT'S LIKE WATCHING A CAT...!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
                    There's not a Heavy today that moves as well as Joe Louis...not even close..

Believe me...

He would not be considered a plodder..especially with lumbering slow-motion robots like the Klits around to make him look even better.

Go look at some of Joe's fights on youtube...

IT'S LIKE WATCHING A CAT...!!

Is Wladimir a plodder!? he certainly wasnt against haye. If you watch the fight with haye that jab was blindingly fast. and i knoww haye was overmatched, but it doesnt change the fact that klitchko is alot faster and accurate than alot of people give him credit for. A heavyweight truly underappreciated in our time because of the state of heavyweight boxing. Klitchko would have held his own agasint any heavyweight of any era in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by hearnsfan86 View Post
                      everyone is getting off topic. The thread has nothing to do with diet, nutrition, who couls go for longer.

Its simply about boxing technique. I completly agree with the people on this board that are saying olden day fighters were much more conditioned than todays fighters. But were they better boxers?? thats the question.
                      Yes they were better..

Today's fighters can't even fight on the inside..!!!

Look at.....Pacman...Berto...Canelo...Khan...They can't fight on the inside worth a shi.t...........LOL..........

Fighters don't BOB N WEAVE anymore..

That is a lost art......GONE....!

One of the most effective styles(especially at heavyweight)......VANISHED........!

Fighters from the past had to deal with an array of styles..it's not like that anymore..

Comment

Working...
                      X