Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the past greats really that great!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxer.exposed View Post
    Great boxer of the fast were overrated in some degree. Every living things evolved for the best of their species then you add today's better training techniques, recorded videos to analyze, study the fights and better nutrition. Boxers of this era really has a change to beat those boxers.
    were discussing technique here though mate, not nutrition or whether an olden day fighter was better conditioned than todays fighters. we have already concluded that the old fighters were better conditioned and could fight longer

Comment

It's always debatable whether past legends were better or worse than current ones.

One thing I can say for sure, is that boxing as a sport was much greater in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by hearnsfan86 View Post
        Name me one olden day fighter ( from before the 50s ) that fights like floyd with the philly shell defense, the shoulder rolling, the pot shotting.
        George Benton.

Comment

Originally posted by hearnsfan86 View Post
          The klitchkos you are referring to are the old klitchkos, ya have to admit they are alot better now. as for holding his hand low, its obviously a technique taught by manny steward, one that he passed onto tommy hearns with great effect.
          They aren't better than shi.t now...

Stop trippin'..

The division is just weaker now than it was even a few years ago.

The guy fought scared against Haye....imagine how terrified he'd be with Jack Demspey in his chest...??

Say what you want..

The Klits are not very DURABLE and have questionable stanima...defense....and heart..

I just can't see Ross Purrity making George Foreman quit..

I just can't see Chris Byrd making Larry Holmes quit on his stool.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            George Benton.
            Randy Turpin

Comment

Can someone explain and breakdown the drastic differences in diet and training regimes between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Sugar Ray Robinson.

What does Mayweather, possibly the most gifted fighter of the last few decades, do differently that makes him so much more modern and evolved than Robinson?

Chin ups? Jump rope? Heavybag? Pads?

What about diet? What's in Mayweather's diet that makes him so much more evolved than Robinson?

Meat? Vegetables?
              What do you think has made every sport ( hell, every SKILL in life) except for boxing evolve over the last 50 years?
              Last edited by Konstantin; 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
                What do you think has made every sport except for boxing evolve over the last 50 years?
                I have no idea.

I dont and have never followed any other sport other than Boxing.

Comment

George Benton.
                  i'll admit ive never heard of george benton before. He looks eerily like mayweather!! good call!!

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
                    What do you think has made every sport except for boxing evolve over the last 50 years?
                    Excellent question..

Now we can move this discussion foreward...

I think a lack of training/trainers has a to do with it...

Lack of access to boxing...many gyms have closed....many have opened,run by people that don't know shi.t from shoe polish....

Lack of Boxing scolarships...they used to be commom...now they are gone...

Lack of boxing sponsorship....in the past,even mom and pop stores sponsored boxers..

Lack of boxing clubs...boxing used to be so common in America even woman had boxing clubs......CHURCHES had boxing clubs....

Comment

I have no idea.

I dont and have never followed any other sport other than Boxing.
                      That's probably why you don't know how stuff is evolved. Learning has evolved.

How is it not obvious that learning how to do ANYTHING you want to do is 100x easier than it was 50 years ago? Knowledge is accumulated over time, not forgotten.

How did SRR learn back then? He was trained by trainers, he practiced and he went to fights and saw other people fight.

Now days you can watch tape of the best fighters, pick apart every nuance of their game, copy and combine with other greats. How is it not obvious that the training regime and diet between Floyd and SRR were vastly different? Now days we know the exact amount of calories you need to consume, the best vitamins to take - but you're thinking meat and vegetables huh?

You think that Floyd - going off his skill - obviously boxings biggest fan didn't grow up watching SRR, SRL tape and copying every move of theirs and adding it into his arsenal?

Comment

Working...
                      X