Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the past greats really that great!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hearnsfan86 View Post
    i'll admit ive never heard of george benton before. He looks eerily like mayweather!! good call!!
    Yep....that was a good call

Benton was also Pernell Wittaker's trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
      That's probably why you don't know how stuff is evolved. Learning has evolved.

How is it not obvious that learning how to do ANYTHING you want to do is 100x easier than it was 50 years ago? Knowledge is accumulated over time, not forgotten.

How did SRR learn back then? He was trained by trainers, he practiced and he went to fights and saw other people fight.

Now days you can watch tape of the best fighters, pick apart every nuance of their game, copy and combine with other greats. How is it not obvious that the training regime and diet between Floyd and SRR were vastly different? Now days we know the exact amount of calories you need to consume, the best vitamins to take - but you're thinking meat and vegetables huh?

You think that Floyd - going off his skill - obviously boxings biggest fan didn't grow up watching SRR, SRL tape and copying every move of theirs and adding it into his arsenal?
      You keep making some damn good points.

Today's fighters have video tape of their opponents they can watch in their pajamas...

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
        Not having a strength and conditioning coach would be the least of Pac's problems.

What modern boxing equipment....?????????????????????

Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey had....

Speed bags
        Heavy bags
        Double-end bags
        They hit the mitts
        They sparred
        They swam
        They chopped wood
        They swung sledge hammers
        Medicine balls
        free weights
        Jump rope
        weight machines and devices of every type and description..
        ect ect ect..

And they ate PURE food and CLEAN water free of lead...mercury..strontium 90..aluminum. ect ect....they didn't have radio-active isotopes embedded in their DNA.

ALL fighters from the past had a STRICT DIET and training regiment..

The only thing they didn't have is video tape,air-conditioned gyms...and PLENTY places to eat ALL THE TIME.

You muthafu.cka's have to stop repeating dumb shi.t your heard from some loser that doesn't have a clue..
        just like stillmans gym...where people gathered to watch training and smoked cigars and the old man would refuse to open windows. I guess it got fighters prepared for the smoke filled club venues they fought in.

Comment

WELL i mean they would have the same advantages that the fighters do now .

evolved training methods , nutritionist etc.....

But i think these guys would receive hell from current fighters .

Maybe vitali and lennox wouldve been too much for ali .

maybe hopkins would completely school hagler

Mayweather couldve beaten Leonard based on the assumption that FLOYDS DAD GAVE SUGAR RAY A GOOD A S S FIGHT BEFORE BEING KOED

AND FLOYD IS WAY BETTER THAN POPS .

Nobody knows all 1 can do is assume .

But yeah ive seen ignorant people that think of old school fighters as immortal gods that wouldnt lose to todays weak mortalSSSSSSSSSSSS LOL THATS HOW THEY THINK
          Last edited by FirePunch; 12-16-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
            just like stillmans gym...where people gathered to watch training and smoked cigars and the old man would refuse to open windows. I guess it got fighters prepared for the smoke filled club venues they fought in.

OK BUT DID THEY HAVE STRONG INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION OR WAS IT MOSTLY WESTERN HEMISPHERE FIGHTERS ?

I cant imagine any good sparring partners either . IS CRAZY HOW 1 TRICK PONIES LIKE JACK DEMPSEY OR JAKE LAMOTTA WERE ABLE TO DO SO GOOD .
            SORRY BROTHER BUT IN THIS DAY IN AGE YOUR EITHER THE TOTAL PACKAGE OR YOUR A S S IS GETTING WHOOPED .

NO MORE BAR BRAWLING TO THE TOP ...... i THINK the legends from the 70's on up WHO HAD ALREADY EVOLVED HEAVILY FROM PREVIOUS GENERATIONS WOULD DO JUST FINE .....

BUT ALL THAT 1960 AND BELOW CRAP IS LAUGHABLE . MAYBE JOE LOUIS , RAY ROBINSON AND WILLIE PEP ARE EXCEPTIONS THE REST BLOWWWWWW

PACMAN WOULD RICKY HATTON WILLIE PEP
            Last edited by FirePunch; 12-16-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

The updates in conditioning and nutrition mean that yesterday's greats would get dominated by the average fighters of today. The same is true of all sports.

You can only really judge a fighter against those of his own era.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
                I agree with you as well. Boxing and boxers themselves have evolved a great deal since those times. Take Joe Louis for example, he would get ****ing sparked by the likes of Tyson, Lennox Louis and The Klit brothers in my opinion.
                In a lot of ways, Louis was the start of the modern pugilist as we know it. I don't know if I've ever seen a more technically appealing fighter, to my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by FirePunch View Post
                  Mayweather couldve beaten Leonard based on the assumption that FLOYDS DAD GAVE SUGAR RAY A GOOD A S S FIGHT BEFORE BEING KOED

AND FLOYD IS WAY BETTER THAN POPS .
                  You ever watched it?

Honestly, Sr. got his ass kicked. It wasn't really all that competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by NAPO View Post
                    This is a topic in which there will not a specific point on who's right.

We are talking about Technology, 12 rounds, diets, ect.

Go back in time and tell me how this generation would do against the past one.

Or Bring the old school into this generation and tell me how would they do with so many different types of boxing instead of dealing with a fight foward mentality only.
                    That is so wrong it's not even funny. Today's fighters are much less versatile. That's the biggest difference. A guy like Benny Leonard, thought of as a purists dream, was a better inside fighter than all of the 'inside' fighters today.

Anyway, this has been done to death. People often miss the point of boxing. Unlike most other sports, modern training, science etc has very, very, very little impact on boxing apart from some of the cross training techniques, but again, someone like Pac is no better conditioned than someone like Duran who was able to go 15 rounds harder than anyone today.

The biggest thing about boxing is very simple so most modern training and science has very little impact. The training techniques of boxing are exactly the same, and as so many people are finding out, weight training (which is basically the only thing modern training has made a big impact with) is minimal. Boxing is about basic aerobic and anaerobic capacity. You do the same thing 50 to 100 years ago. Sprints and running. For boxing, the usual.

You aren't trying to beat a time in boxing. This is the part that nearly everyone misses. You are not racing against the clock and trying to beat someone a certain way, otherwise anyone that's faster would win and anyone with better technique would win. Not how boxing works.

We see it every single ****ing day and people still don't get it......Someone who wants it more, despite the better technique, faster hands, faster feet etc etc can win.

Pac is among the best athletes and has the most modern training available. An older, smaller, slower, less powerful fighter just beat him using basic boxing. In any other sport, Pac would have wiped the floor, but boxing isn't about times and just being a greater athlete and it never has been. Sometimes, someone comes along who has great talent in fighting and is a great athlete and it translates to success, but time and time and time again the greater athlete has been put out because boxing is not about being a better athlete. It's about fighting for ****s sake. Bigger, stronger, faster does not equal success. How many times do you need to see it happen before people realise that boxing is about boxing, fighting, taking a punch, giving one back.

The fighters from past era had more talent to fight against, more trainers, more contenders, more gyms....Boxing was just bigger and had much more depth across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      That is so wrong it's not even funny. Today's fighters are much less versatile. That's the biggest difference. A guy like Benny Leonard, thought of as a purists dream, was a better inside fighter than all of the 'inside' fighters today.

Anyway, this has been done to death. People often miss the point of boxing. Unlike most other sports, modern training, science etc has very, very, very little impact on boxing apart from some of the cross training techniques, but again, someone like Pac is no better conditioned than someone like Duran who was able to go 15 rounds harder than anyone today.

The biggest thing about boxing is very simple so most modern training and science has very little impact. The training techniques of boxing are exactly the same, and as so many people are finding out, weight training (which is basically the only thing modern training has made a big impact with) is minimal. Boxing is about basic aerobic and anaerobic capacity. You do the same thing 50 to 100 years ago. Sprints and running. For boxing, the usual.

You aren't trying to beat a time in boxing. This is the part that nearly everyone misses. You are not racing against the clock and trying to beat someone a certain way, otherwise anyone that's faster would win and anyone with better technique would win. Not how boxing works.

We see it every single ****ing day and people still don't get it......Someone who wants it more, despite the better technique, faster hands, faster feet etc etc can win.

Pac is among the best athletes and has the most modern training available. An older, smaller, slower, less powerful fighter just beat him using basic boxing. In any other sport, Pac would have wiped the floor, but boxing isn't about times and just being a greater athlete and it never has been. Sometimes, someone comes along who has great talent in fighting and is a great athlete and it translates to success, but time and time and time again the greater athlete has been put out because boxing is not about being a better athlete. It's about fighting for ****s sake. Bigger, stronger, faster does not equal success. How many times do you need to see it happen before people realise that boxing is about boxing, fighting, taking a punch, giving one back.

The fighters from past era had more talent to fight against, more trainers, more contenders, more gyms....Boxing was just bigger and had much more depth across the board.
                      I meant no disrespect for the old school fighters in ANY way. But in most films that I have witness MOST of them have a more offensive mindset, which is very admiral because we are talking about 15 round fights...Giving a plus on how they would do today.

But I'll guess we'll agree to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                      X