No announcement yet.

who's greater joe calzaghe or winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    We didn't? Just remember that Shane's victory over Oscar at 154 was his first in 2-3yrs. He looked like crap for three rounds against Raul Marquez too.
    Completely understand that, but it was his first actual fight at '54 (unless you really do want throw Marquez in there). So Mosley's resume really isn't that great either, then?

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
      Who in the SMW division would have beaten Calzaghe during those 10 years? 10 years. That's a long time for a division to be totally dead. Almost to the point maybe it was just average-good, and he beat most of the best guys around it, inc those he was favoured to lose against.

Who other than prime Roy and Hopkins beats him?

Calzaghe beat Hopkins which is one thing Winky couldn't do.

Winky has 5 losses and a draw.

Calzaghe would not come away with the same through that resume, he'd lose a couple at most.

Calzaghe is favoured over Winky in a fight.

There's simply no basis for saying Winky is greater. This thread is an eye opener as to just how subjective people are, especially on boxing.
      I thought Winky beat Hopkins.

He definitely outlanded Hopkins as well.

Comment

And Iron, I'd take Brewer and Sheika (when Joe fought them) over McKart and Mullings easy. Ok not easy but you get the point
        That's because you're a fool...Chicken George..

Brewer had just got KTFO by Echols...Echols won the eliminator....Joe fought the LOSER...

The Sheika fight was stopped in one of Joe's MANY bogus stoppages...

All you have to do is watch it on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
          Terrible post. It's been said around this forum over and over; More important than whom is when.

Let's also remember... PWill holds a win over Lara, Funeka sported a draw despite putting a whooping on Guzman in their first fight..... Wright put a beating on Taylor with ease in what could be considered a hometown crowd, although officially, it was ruled a draw.

Calzaghe's resume has names on his resume. Wright's has names, but more importantly, substance.
          HA! Put a beating on Taylor with ease. That is ****ing hilarious, man. Seriously.

That is one of the most even fights you will ever seen.

Seen as people deride Taylor left right and centre around this forum, the fact that Wright couldn't lay down his law over the stylistically limited Taylor says a lot. Not to mention, Wright was not an underdog going into that fight.

IF Taylor had the mental fortitude to stick to his gameplan and hold the centre of the ring, the fight would not have been as close. But Taylor doesn't have that fortitude.

Calzaghe has Kessler and Hopkins. I'll take that any day over any of Wright's opposition.

And again I ask: P4P...who wins...Calzaghe or Wright?

Like I said, the Calzaghe analysis is hilarious.

Comment

like i said.....

joe only had the better promotion...........

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
              Completely understand that, but it was his first actual fight at '54 (unless you really do want throw Marquez in there). So Mosley's resume really isn't that great either, then?
              At 154? No it really isn't. At all. He beat Oscar controversially. That's it. And his resume at 147 hung in the balance until he beat Margarito because, prior to that, he had Collazo and Oscar. Further, his resume at 135 is no great shakes either. But collectively, his resume is solid.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
                Who in the SMW division would have beaten Calzaghe during those 10 years? 10 years. That's a long time for a division to be totally dead. Almost to the point maybe it was just average-good, and he beat most of the best guys around it, inc those he was favoured to lose against.

Who other than prime Roy and Hopkins beats him?

Calzaghe beat Hopkins which is one thing Winky couldn't do.

Winky has 5 losses and a draw.

Calzaghe would not come away with the same through that resume, he'd lose a couple at most.

Calzaghe is favoured over Winky in a fight.

There's simply no basis for saying Winky is greater. This thread is an eye opener as to just how subjective people are, especially on boxing.
                calzaghe didn't even fight his biggest rival during those ten years which was sven ottke. pretty easy to dominate only fighting unranked bums.

the winky-hopkins fight was closer than the hopkins-calzaghe fight if you understand boxing. landing clean punches while making your opponent miss is worth more than just throwing punches while getting hit and coming forward at least according to the rules but the judges ignored them so calzaghe won. congrats? keep pretending that was a legit win. if you were a williams fan you would be pretending that he beat lara. disgrace. calzaghe's resume is crap and it's not even legit. it's tarnished crap!

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
                  That's because you're a fool...Chicken George..

Brewer had just got KTFO by Echols...Echols won the eliminator....Joe fought the LOSER...

The Sheika fight was stopped in one of Joe's MANY bogus stoppages...

All you have to do is watch it on youtube.
                  I don't think you saw the Echols bout. It was pretty controversial. I suggest you watch again.

As for the Sheika bout being bogus...smh. You're a clown. I'm not Joe fan but he dominated Sheika from the opening bell.

Comment

Mosley being #1 speaks more to 154 than it does his position. He was never that good at 154 and you can't have it both ways - Winky deserved a decision over Vargas but Oscar not over Shane? Doesn't work.

Again, give me Kessler and Hops over Winky's whole resume.
                    He wasn't great at 154, no. It's still Shane Mosley, though. Beating him in his prime wasn't an easy thing. 154 or not.

It's obviously a good win for Wright. Underdog going into it, #1 at 154 and Top P4P fighter.

Doing that, is absolutely better than betaing Kessler IMO. And I ca't see how that's not at the very least argubale.

I didn't say Oscar didn't deserve the Decision over Mosley. I'm just talking about Wright's and Calzaghe's fights respectively. Vargas, a fight in which Wright should have won, would again be better than almost anything Calzaghe did in his career.

And even if you do consider Kessler and Hopkins to be better than Wright's whole resume. It doesn't really mean much.

Ruben Carter KO1 Emile Griffith is better than anything on anyones resume in the past 20 years possibly.

Oakland Billy Smith KO of Harold Johnson is better than anyones entire resume of the last decade.

Would you say those two are heads and sholders above Wright aswell?

It still doesn't change the fact that if you consider those wins both to be better than anything Winky Wright did, his resume is still not that far behind Calzaghe's.

Both of them fought around the same amount of Top ranked opposition. And both of them fought an atleast comparable amount of actual quality opposition.

Like I said, I don't think Winky is greater. But I can't see how it isn't close.

And also like I said, I'm not a fan of Winky. I'm not trying to big him up.

Quite the opposite, really.
                    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

ey its not joes fault that he was european

not joes fault that kessler was european

not his fault that kessler means nothin on his career but everyting on wards

Comment

Working...
                      X