No announcement yet.

who's greater joe calzaghe or winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Yeah, I don't think it's very close at all. And that's not giving Joe props because I'm not his biggest fan. But come on, Mosley at 154 (where he was never that good) and Trinidad who had fought once in like five years? This isn't up for debate. Give me Kessler and B-Hop over those two any day of the week and Sunday.
    In fairness, at the time, we didn't know Mosley was a lackluster fighter at '54. I can understand Kessler because at the time, that was a fight being talked about, but Hopkins, though, ehh.

Comment

Winky by far fought the better opposition. He schooled primer shane mosley then floyd did twice. He schooled legend tito trinidad. Fought to hell and back to a disputable decison with prime Vargas. Not to mention he fought to hell in back with Undisputed middleweight champ jermain taylor prime in an epic fight. He consistently fought and beat better fighters. Without old ass hopkins and shot ass roy jones he has no resume. It was seriouslly british bum of the month in calzaghes career. Filled with terrible stoppages and robberies. Winky was the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Come on, if you want to debate be serious. And LOL @ you calling Kessler a nobody while defending the epitome of a nobody. I'm more big on when over who so try a different argument.
        Who did Kessler beat before fighting Joke...I mean Joe...?????

Who is the epitome of a nobody fool as.s dude???

Comment

Originally posted by Full Clip View Post
          Winky by far fought the better opposition. He schooled primer shane mosley then floyd did twice. He schooled legend tito trinidad. Fought to hell and back to a disputable decison with prime Vargas. Not to mention he fought to hell in back with Undisputed middleweight champ jermain taylor prime in an epic fight. He consistently fought and beat better fighters. Without old ass hopkins and shot ass roy jones he has no resume. It was seriouslly british bum of the month in calzaghes career. Filled with terrible stoppages and robberies. Winky was the truth!
          Exactly.........

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Mosley wasn't too great at 154, but he was the #1 at the weight when he fought him. And a prime Mosley twice is certainly better than beating Kessler IMO. Which other than Hopkins is by far his best win.

Keith Mullings and Bronco Mckart are just as good as his win over Jeff Lacy IMO.

What's left? Washed up, not had a legit win at 168 in years ChrisEubank? Wright's win over Trinidad is atleast equal to that.

Ontop of that, he deserved the Decision over Vargas, when he was #1 at the weight.

I'm not saying Winky Wright is greater. I'm not even a fan of him. I've been very critical of him for a long time now.

But, I can't see how it's really a clear thing. Thier resume's are not that far apart.
            Mosley being #1 speaks more to 154 than it does his position. He was never that good at 154 and you can't have it both ways - Winky deserved a decision over Vargas but Oscar not over Shane? Doesn't work.

Again, give me Kessler and Hops over Winky's whole resume.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
              Joe fought in the WBO version of a DEAD division.

Just think how many fights he would have lost if he had balls to leave WBO land..

Winky won his first title at 22....what was Joe doing at that age???
              Who in the SMW division would have beaten Calzaghe during those 10 years? 10 years. That's a long time for a division to be totally dead. Almost to the point maybe it was just average-good, and he beat most of the best guys around it, inc those he was favoured to lose against.

Who other than prime Roy and Hopkins beats him?

Calzaghe beat Hopkins which is one thing Winky couldn't do.

Winky has 5 losses and a draw.

Calzaghe would not come away with the same through that resume, he'd lose a couple at most.

Calzaghe is favoured over Winky in a fight.

There's simply no basis for saying Winky is greater. This thread is an eye opener as to just how subjective people are, especially on boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                In fairness, at the time, we didn't know Mosley was a lackluster fighter at '54. I can understand Kessler because at the time, that was a fight being talked about, but Hopkins, though, ehh.
                We didn't? Just remember that Shane's victory over Oscar at 154 was his first in 2-3yrs. He looked like crap for three rounds against Raul Marquez too.

Comment

I'm going with Winky.

I think he had the better strength of schedule and the better wins.

Comment

And Iron, I'd take Brewer and Sheika (when Joe fought them) over McKart and Mullings easy. Ok not easy but you get the point

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
                      Who in the SMW division would have beaten Calzaghe during those 10 years? 10 years. That's a long time for a division to be totally dead. Almost to the point maybe it was just average-good, and he beat most of the best guys around it, inc those he was favoured to lose against.

Who other than prime Roy and Hopkins beats him?

Calzaghe beat Hopkins which is one thing Winky couldn't do.

Winky has 5 losses and a draw.

Calzaghe would not come away with the same through that resume, he'd lose a couple at most.

Calzaghe is favoured over Winky in a fight.

There's simply no basis for saying Winky is greater. This thread is an eye opener as to just how subjective people are, especially on boxing.
                      Joe didn't really beat Hopkins...hell he didn't even land anything and got dropped and hurt...

Joe wanted no parts of anybody when they were in their primes...he was too busy fighting the likes of Tokker Pudwell..

Joe actually fought the LOSER of an elimination bout...

Comment

Working...
                      X