Collapse
No announcement yet.

who's greater Bernard Hopkins or Roy Jones jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toss up. They are forever tied to eachother and will end up close to eachother on most lists. Kinda like Tito/Oscar, Leonard/Duran, and when it's all said and done, Mayweather/Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
      If you want to take Roys amateur career into the equation when talking about the advantage for Roy in experience, fine.

But don't neglect mentioning Roy having over 130 amateur fights before turning pro, when comparing longevity between the two.

Although professionally, Bernard has had more success as he got older vs Roy... The overall wear and tear on both fighters is comparable if not more less forgiving for Roy.

Roys body had been through much more wear and tear then Bernard when both were 35, respectively.
      Just mentioned this. Roy had a very long and successful amateur career, while Hopkins was playing don't drop the soap up in concrete heaven. lol But really, their longevity is around the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        I'll take hopkins longevity and I like his resume slightly better although you can make a case for either.

Jones in his prime was damn near unbeatable though.
        Jones in his prime was ABSOLUTELY unbeatable, not "damned near" although I understand what you mean. And his prime lasted at least 3 times as long as the primes of all other fighters. How long was he on top of the lb4lb list, 8-10 years.....Jones was a once in a lifetime talent, and to compare him with a grunting, grappling, butting, gouging,fouling, faking trickster like Hopkins is an insult to every person on this site with real boxing knowledge. I admit it wouldn't be many, but I include myself in thsi small group.

Although, when Hopkins was much younger, he was more like a good fighter, in fact he WAS a good fighter, although still dirty, but not really any better than hundreds of others, past and present.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
          Calzaghe def. Jones UD 12
          Calzaghe def Hopkins SD 12

whos calzaghe?

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
            That he beat Two ATG's, I have no problem with. That he beat two ATG's, in their prime, I do. How is it that when Roy losses, the explanations are usually accepted (I.E. he lost too much muscle coming down in weight, Vs Glen he was just way past it), but when it happens to others, it's overlooked.

Didn't James Toney (to his fault) struggle to make 168 badly? It was absolutely his fault, but how can one be in awe of Roy toying with him and say that it was a win over a Prime Toney?

Bernard Hopkins had a little to no Amateur experience, nothing like Roy Jones. Hopkins coming into the fights Vs Roy Jones (A Silver, really Gold Medalist) is the equivalent to a 20-0, Olympic Gold Medalist Andre ward facing a 21-1 guy, who is basically learning on the job. Or Gamboa (another Gold Medalist), facing some 23-0 guy who has no credible Amateur pedigree to speak of. On paper, they look even, experience wise. But one guy has over 100 amateur bouts, and the other maybe 20.

Hopkins was still learning his craft after prison. It's something to consider for those who always point out that Roy was old when this guy beat him, and when that guy beat him.
            http://www.*************.com/biofiles/bernard-hopkins/

as a b-hop fan you should know more than this, national champ at 9, roy had his first amatuer bout at about 13 or somethin
            hopkins had also had 99 amatuer fights and reportedly
            lit up the amateur boxing circuit, trying to resist the temptations of the street
            http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=4036&more=1

Determined to not let this setback define him, Hopkins boxed while in prison, hoping to get his chance to turn his life around. That chance came in 1988, when Hopkins, 23, was released after 56 months.
            http://www.hbo.com/boxing/people/ber...d-hopkins.html

not to mention prison made hopkins, no prison no "smart" hopkins
            "When I'm in the ring, I'm the 'hood. I'm. the penitentiary," said Hopkins to the publication.
            http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Benz/DHBenz0330f09.htm

Comment

y'all already know

Comment

Roy and it aint even close. Hopkins longevity doesn't trump how great Roy was back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post

y'all already know
                  I see that video...and raise you this:

Comment

Roy Jones is MUCH greater.

Hopkins wouldn't have accomplished much without the shady home referees who permitted him to foul.

Comment

so i guess being caught using a banned substance doesn't hurt roy jones legacy?

Comment

Working...
                      X