No announcement yet.

who's greater Bernard Hopkins or Roy Jones jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I'd lean on the fact that Roy Jones beat two ATG's in their prime.
    That he beat Two ATG's, I have no problem with. That he beat two ATG's, in their prime, I do. How is it that when Roy losses, the explanations are usually accepted (I.E. he lost too much muscle coming down in weight, Vs Glen he was just way past it), but when it happens to others, it's overlooked.

Didn't James Toney (to his fault) struggle to make 168 badly? It was absolutely his fault, but how can one be in awe of Roy toying with him and say that it was a win over a Prime Toney?

Bernard Hopkins had a little to no Amateur experience, nothing like Roy Jones. Hopkins coming into the fights Vs Roy Jones (A Silver, really Gold Medalist) is the equivalent to a 20-0, Olympic Gold Medalist Andre ward facing a 21-1 guy, who is basically learning on the job. Or Gamboa (another Gold Medalist), facing some 23-0 guy who has no credible Amateur pedigree to speak of. On paper, they look even, experience wise. But one guy has over 100 amateur bouts, and the other maybe 20.

Hopkins was still learning his craft after prison. It's something to consider for those who always point out that Roy was old when this guy beat him, and when that guy beat him.
    Last edited by cupocity303; 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Roy is a pretty comfortable step ahead of any current active fighter ATGness wise.

Greater resume.

Greater career acheivements.

Won the H2H matchup when they were at about the same point of career relevancy.

B-hop's work over the past 3-4 years has been rapidly closing the gap though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
        That he beat Two ATG's, I have no problem with. That he beat two ATG's, in their prime, I do. How is it that when Roy losses, the explanations are usually accepted (I.E. he lost too much muscle coming down in weight, Vs Glen he was just way past it), but when it happens to others, it's overlooked.

Didn't James Toney (to his fault) struggle to make 168 badly? It was absolutely his fault, but how can one be in awe of Roy toying with him and say that it was a win over a Prime Toney?

Bernard Hopkins had a little to no Amateur experience, nothing like Roy Jones. Hopkins coming into the fights Vs Roy Jones (A Silver, really Gold Medalist) is the equivalent to a 20-0, Olympic Gold Medalist Andre ward facing a 21-1 guy, who is basically learning on the job. Or Gamboa (another Gold Medalist), facing some 23-0 guy who has no credible Amateur pedigree to speak of. On paper, they look even, experience wise. But one guy has over 100 amateur bouts, and the other maybe 20.

Hopkins was still learning his craft after prison. It's something to consider for those who always point out that Roy was old when this guy beat him, and when that guy beat him.
        If you want to take Roys amateur career into the equation when talking about the advantage for Roy in experience, fine.

But don't neglect mentioning Roy having over 130 amateur fights before turning pro, when comparing longevity between the two.

Although professionally, Bernard has had more success as he got older vs Roy... The overall wear and tear on both fighters is comparable if not more less forgiving for Roy.

Roys body had been through much more wear and tear then Bernard when both were 35, respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

What he said

Comment

Roy Jones was the man! Back when I was in school that is.

Comment

Roy Jones better fighter in his prime and better resume. A lot of people give it to Hopkins because of longevity when he faced such ****ty competition at middleweight. A lot of time wasted in that weak MW division ,aint no reason why he didnt move up and faced better fighters.

Comment

Guess who I voted for

Comment

I'm amost embarrassed to ask....but is this a serious question??

Comment

Calzaghe def. Jones UD 12
                    Calzaghe def Hopkins SD 12

Comment

What abour Roy's longevity. Guy had a great amateur career too. Realistically, they have the same longevity. Not Roy's fault Hops started late and Roy started fighting internationally when he was a kid.

Comment

Working...
                      X