Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Jr. Live Chat, Weigh-In Stream, PPV Info

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=LeadUppercut;11527743]It is an ethical issue.A similar thing happened to a guy in my country.QUOTE] Sad situation. I met Jones in my hometown when he was an amatuer, met him as a pro, defended him for 10 years on the AOL boxing board, he was my #1 favorite fighter of the past 20 years, Sugar Ray Leonard before that. A HUGE Jones fans even people who know him know about my support for him but I cannot support what he is doing to his health.

Comment

Nobody is questioning if he can beat Alexander, he probably can and will. Then again, that's what I thought about Danny Green. By the Lebedev fight I lost all hope on Jones and knew he was going to get brutally knocked out.

I use to think, well maybe if you can't hurt this past prime Jones, you can't beat him. And I thought, well, if he's going to continue boxing, just keep fighting light punching guys. Then came Joe Calzaghe, a light punching fighter, and Jones still lost. Okay, he stopped Sheika and Lacy, good, now he will retire with only 4 losses and goes out with a great performance over an okay boxer, who was once good just like Jones was once great, so it was even, they both were not the same fighters. People will remember him having a great performance in his debut, and a great performance in his last fight, everything a Roy Jones fan can ask for from Jones.

Nope..let me keep fighting...loses 3 in a row. Keeps tweeking and tweeking, looking for doctors to give him brain exercises or whatever, got back with his father?[am I wrong?], gets a defensive trainer, gets this, gets that, gets a baseball bat for his next fight, then a rifle, he just keeps getting all these new things that are just not cooperating with his body. He does not seem to understand that he's shot. He really believes after a win, no matter against who, that he's back to being the old Roy. I think he does believe that.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Nobody is questioning if he can beat Alexander, he probably can and will. Then again, that's what I thought about Danny Green. By the Lebedev fight I lost all hope on Jones and knew he was going to get brutally knocked out.

I use to think, well maybe if you can't hurt this past prime Jones, you can't beat him. And I thought, well, if he's going to continue boxing, just keep fighting light punching guys. Then came Joe Calzaghe, a light punching fighter, and Jones still lost. Okay, he stopped Sheika and Lacy, good, now he will retire with only 4 losses and goes out with a great performance over an okay boxer, who was once good just like Jones was once great, so it was even, they both were not the same fighters. People will remember him having a great performance in his debut, and a great performance in his last fight, everything a Roy Jones fan can ask for from Jones.

Nope..let me keep fighting...loses 3 in a row. Keeps tweeking and tweeking, looking for doctors to give him brain exercises or whatever, got back with his father?[am I wrong?], gets a defensive trainer, gets this, gets that, gets a baseball bat for his next fight, then a rifle, he just keeps getting all these new things that are just not cooperating with his body. He does not seem to understand that he's shot. He really believes after a win, no matter against who, that he's back to being the old Roy. I think he does believe that.
        Ill break it down like this from fellow fan to fan.

If you understand who he is, how he was raised, how he was bred, what he was put through... The way his mind was trained to fight, be the best, always be the best, always be competitive, always win.

Its truly all he knows.

Its so much easier for us to sit on the outside and see how it looks from where we sit, and lets be honest... It doesnt look good. But you gotta put y ourself in his shoes, feel h ow he feels, have the mindset that he has always had... All hes ever known was that he was untouchable since he was 13,14,15 years old... On top of all that, you can feel the love he has for the sport, the thrill of competing.

People talk about money problems... Hey maybe so, but you also cant deny a true love the guy has... Did you know he fought in an exhibition like a week ago? How much did he make from that? Nothing... He didnt need to do that, he wanted to do that.

You just gota understand the guy... And even if you disagree with him continuing to fight... Then thats absolutey fine, because Im right there with you.. i dont want him to continue anymore... But will he stop because I stopped supporting him? Nah... It doesnt make a difference... So in the end, its all you can do... Wish him a safe victory and retirement, and if he doesnt retire... Wish him another safe victory... Its all you can do.

I dont support him continuing to fight, but if he chooses too, I will hope he wins, because thats what he wants.

In anither note... After he finally does retire... And a few years go by, and you talk about Roy Jones Jr. You arent talking about Danny Green or Denis who Lebedev... Just like when Holyfield retires... You arent going to talk about Ibragimov... You are going to talk about the beast of the man that was Prime Holyfield.

Comment

Guess we all have to just wait and see what happens on the 10th to see what career path RJJ will take.

Comment

Interview from Max

Max Alexander: "I’m Going To End Roy Jones’ Career"

December 6th, 2011

Darren Velasco

In a relatively historic moment, Roy Jones Jr.(54-8, 40 KOs) will return to the ring on December 10th in a cruiserweight title fight. Scheduled for the Atlanta Civic Center, the promotion for the night is "The Resurrection", which is referencing Jones' attempt at revitalizing his illustrious career.

Whether he is loved or despised, Jones Jr. carries a legendary name that sparks the interest of any casual or die-hard fan. Consequently, the promotions for the fight focus heavily on the former 12-time world champion. Although a respectable amount of buzz has surrounded the fight, a name that is not as familiar will be found opposite Jones Jr. on December 10th.

Max Alexander, the scheduled opponent, hopes to provide a major upset to publish the final page in Roy Jones Jr's prominent novel in boxing. The experienced cruiserweight Alexander began his career with a relentless 14-win undefeated streak before joining the reality show “The Contender”, where he lost twice. He acknowledges that it was not the correct decision for his career as he dropped to 14-5-2 soon after the reality show.

In a night that Jones promises to have "The Best Comeback In The History of Boxing", Alexander has plans for a reemergence of his own. 8CN’s Darren Velasco took the time to speak with Max Alexander about his upcoming fight with Roy Jones Jr.

The 30-year old fighter out of Camden, New Jersey wasted no time in expressing his distaste towards the pre-fight treatment he has received.

“I feel disrespected,” said Alexander regarding the fight promotions that only focused on Roy Jones Jr. “You can tell by all the posters and promotions that everyone thinks that it’s going to be Roy Jones’ night. They’re totally wrong. It’s going to be my night. Max Alexander’s night.”

In what he considers to be the biggest fight of his life, the naturally humble Alexander hopes to catapult into the elite rankings and gain recognition. The modest fighter, surprisingly, did not shy away from describing his game plan and intentions to 8CountNews.

“I’m going to try and break every bone in Roy Jones’ body,” Alexander declared. “I want to be the one to retire Roy Jones Jr.”

Alexander, who is in the best shape of his life, went even further into clarifying his strategy for Friday’s bout.

“I’ll knock him out before 6 rounds and I’ll be putting the pressure on the whole fight. He’s going to get gassed and I’ll be there to catch him when he tries to take chances,” explained Alexander.

While most of the spotlight is focused on Jones, the challenger Alexander is fully aware of all the doubt and skepticism. Even though there is minimal support in Alexander’s corner, he stays strong behind the possibility of victory.

“I love being an underdog. I’ve been the underdog my whole life,” Alexander passionately mentioned. “Everyone is going to be shocked on that night. At the end of the day, he’s going to be mad at his publicist, his trainer, and everyone around him for letting him sign this fight contract against me. I’m going to end Roy Jones’ career.”

Alexander, whose only motivation in boxing revolves around putting food on the table for his wife and two kids, believes it is an absolute no contest when it comes to measuring heart and inspiration going into Friday’s fight.

“I don’t think he’s motivated at all. He wasn’t motivated against Hopkins. He wasn’t motivated against Danny Green. So how could he be motivated to fight a guy with a record of 14-5? I haven’t fought in the US in over 3 years and I was getting last minute calls to go overseas where I would just get robbed. I had a family to support so of course I was taking these fights,” noted Alexander.

Before sharing the ring with the future hall of famer, Max Alexander ended with a message for Jones. “You had a great career and I respect you. I’ll always look up to you and it’s an honor to get in the ring with you but this is Max Alexander’s fight. This will be the biggest comeback for me, not Roy,” announced Alexander.

Comment

Working...
            X