No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto Secures His Most Satisfying Career Victory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    by David P. Greisman - NEW YORK CITY — For three-and-a-half years, Miguel Cotto sought revenge — for the first loss he had ever taken, for the brutal beating he had received at the hands of Antonio Margarito, for the belief that Margarito’s hands had been tampered with, amplifying the extent of that beating.

For nine rounds, Cotto exacted that revenge, working to guard the weaknesses that had Margarito had taken advantage of in 2008 — and taking advantage of Margarito’s own weakness, one that dated back to a year ago and had been a topic of both conversation and concern in the weeks leading up this rematch.

Margarito’s right eye — where an orbital bone had been broken by Manny Pacquiao in November 2010, where vision had been blurred, a cataract removed, a lens replaced — swelled up due to the targeted punching of Cotto. Though expert physicians had ruled that Margarito’s surgically repaired eye left him fit to step in the ring, the ringside physicians have a stricter criteria when it comes to being fit to stay in the ring.

His eye was shut, the doctors saw. His vision was impaired, the doctors ruled. The fight was over, the doctors decided.

Cotto had his revenge, and an announced 21,239 in attendance — nearly all of Puerto Rican heritage, but some with Mexican blood — were there to see it.

Cotto had come out boxing in their first fight, only to be broken down under Margarito’s pressure. Margarito had dug hard uppercuts down into Cotto’s body and brought them up into Cotto’s face. Bloodied, his face misshapen, Cotto eventually wilted after 11 rounds, taking a knee and taking the loss. [Click Here To Read More]
    Congratulations to miguel well done on getting revenge , even if i did bet on marg oh well

Comment

It was a much needed win for Cotto. It's a shame that the fight had to happen three and a half years since their first fight, but at least the win can give Cotto some closure. As for whether or not Margarito's hands were wrapped for their first fight, we'll simply never know. Everyone can speculate about it, but due to the fact that Margarito was never caught like he was before the Mosley fight, it unfortunately can't go down as fact.

I did notice something though in this fight which made a difference: Cotto tying up!! It's what Emmanuel Steward kept saying throughout the first fight that Cotto should do, but instead he allowed Margarito to pressure and pressure and constantly build momentum. Every time that Margarito got in on Cotto this time, he was immediately stifled and frustrated by the newly employed gameplan of Cotto. Added to that the beatings he took to both Mosley and Pacquiao, and we probably have seen the last of Margarito. I know some people mention a match with Canelo or someone of that caliber, but the man doesn't need to fight anymore. He simply doesn't have it.

Comment

i already said cheato will not win a fight without plaster in his hands...

that would be cheato's last...

Comment

Great win for Cotto, stayed up til 5am watching it and was well worth it, Cotto looked very good as a counter puncher, maybe should have used that type of strategy against Pac...

Comment

Great night for Cotto and boxing in general.

Comment

Originally posted by maxnxt View Post
              It was a much needed win for Cotto. It's a shame that the fight had to happen three and a half years since their first fight, but at least the win can give Cotto some closure. As for whether or not Margarito's hands were wrapped for their first fight, we'll simply never know. Everyone can speculate about it, but due to the fact that Margarito was never caught like he was before the Mosley fight, it unfortunately can't go down as fact.
              I attest it to, say, catching your woman cheating on you. If you catch her right in the act, chances are that it wasn't the first time it happened. It isn't until you've become comfortable doing it that you start to slip up. IMO, you could probably trace it back many fights

Comment

I like Cotto and was glad to see him get some revenge, but talk of him beating Mayweather is ridiculous! Stop having Pac's and Mayweather's sloppy seconds fighting one another and give us "the Fight" - Mayweather vs. Pac Man

Comment

now i want to see Margacheato vs Mayorga

Comment

Originally posted by lluisone View Post
                    now i want to see Margacheato vs Mayorga
                    I thought the same thing last night. Besides a Sergio Martinez rematch, which would be Margarito's death, the only interesting fight I can see for Margarito is against Mayorga.

Comment

Had a letter completed right after the fight, pressed send, and it disappeared. Then google stopped working. So am a bit late with my 2.10 cents.

Cotto fought a very good fight, and deserved the win. It looks as if, although Margarito's eye is perfectly OK it's going to have a tendency to swell up from now on, when hit. Unless it settles down. I thought he could still see a little, and it didn't look as bad as in his Pacquiao fight. However a good stoppage, and he was still eager to fight on.

All that being said, Margarito has lost a couple of steps, he is much slower, both in punching and moving, so, less effective. He wasn't able to get in as close to Cotto as he wanted to, which was a handicap. Also the few butts he got didn''t help. He got a particlularly bad one on the already swollen eye in the 7th or 8th, which brought notice from the commentators. If he'd been allowed to continue he might somceivably have got to Cotto, but I think Cotto was boxing too well.

Wasn't a good fight really except for the meaning and atmosphere around it. The best part of it was Cotto's movement and boxing skill we rarely have seen from him. Margarito had had only 3 fights in the 3 1/2 years between the Cotto fights, including 2 bad beatings, as well as 2 very long layoffs, 16 and 13 month ones. Which could be reasons for his poorer allround peformance.

I think these have to be taken into consideration, but, as it looks now, Margarito is well on the downside, and must be close to retiring. Although he may go on like KId Azteca did, because that's his job.

I have not changed my opinion, however, which is that he had nothing to do with the illeglal pads found in his wrappings and that mystery will never be solved until or unless the trainer Capetillo, discloses his reasons, which, considering how harmless that strip of slightly stiffened gauze really was, are impossible to speculate on.

Comment

Working...
                      X