No announcement yet.

Face Off Cotto - Margarito - Opinions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
    In all seriousness though, listening to cotto talk about his family and how it's stupid to go the extra mile says all I need to know. He will probably take a knee again.
    Keep thinking that way go ahead and bet the house on Margarito. Those who undertstand what Cotto says knows that is not what he meant but believe what you want. Again Cotto has no quit in him he didn't quit vs Pacquiao and he did not quit vs Clottey.

Cotto will out box him and defeat Margarito easier than many think.

Comment

Margarito was stuttering too much when Cotto brought out the pic. He went all defensive and started talking about how the wraps were confiscated, etc, etc. He wasn't directly addressing Cotto's question and talking about the Mosley wraps. After not being able to answer Cotto's question for around a minute, he just blatantly ignored it and started questioning Cotto's will to fight, "What? Are you scared to fight now or what?"

And Cotto just came back with, "I ALREADY signed the fight, I'm going to fight. How do you explain the gauze breaking?"

Margarito didn't look normal. He seemed jumpy, anxious, and confused trying to get under Cotto's skin by throwing his arms up and going, "I'm gonna' beat you again..."

That was the best he could come up with to get the conversation away from the pic Cotto was showing him.

I admit that Cotto's supporters might've grimaced when he said that boxing is "just a job". But Cotto brought up a point that's very true. He let people know that it's not worth rolling the dice, metaphorically speaking, in a boxing fight and risking your health for the sake of fans' temporary adalation. It's not to say he doesn't have any heart, he showed that in past fights against Torres, Corley, and Clottey by choosing to continue the fight rather than say, "Stop the fight. The cut's too bad." He was visibly done in the Margarito fight and any objective fan would understand that. If he had decided to stay in the corner in the 11th round it would've been a repeat of the Pavlik/Taylor I ending.

We as fans compose part of his salary, but only a very, very small fraction of his fans (if any) will actually be there to support him if any health or financial issues emerge long after he's gone from boxing. Who would you rather be? Retired at 32/33 with plenty of money still somewhat relevant in the sport or damaged because you hurt your body by either staying too long (Ali, Holyfield, Jones,Jr.) or taking inordinate amounts of punishment in a particular fight or during your career (Meldrick Taylor, McClellan, Jose Luis Castillo)? I personally believe Cotto is bluffing and people are blowing it out of proportion thinking that Cotto will fold the minute things get tough. I don't think he would take this fight and thinking, "I might lose..." and end up submitting...again...in Madison Square Garden...and against Margarito (of all people). I don't care if he said about how it's "just a job". Losing to Margarito...by TKO...in Madison Square Garden...after all the animosity and accusations...will sting like hell. It's not like he'll be completely indifferent to the outcome. I'm sure this is personal at some level. If it weren't, Cotto wouldn't even be bringing up the wraps issue if he didn't harbor some resentment.

Cotto's playing it cool but any resentment he's cloaking will emerge come fight night. Rest assured, it will be entertaining while it lasts.

My 2 cents...and a little extra.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
        Margarito was stuttering too much when Cotto brought out the pic. He went all defensive and started talking about how the wraps were confiscated, etc, etc. He wasn't directly addressing Cotto's question and talking about the Mosley wraps. After not being able to answer Cotto's question for around a minute, he just blatantly ignored it and started questioning Cotto's will to fight, "What? Are you scared to fight now or what?"

And Cotto just came back with, "I ALREADY signed the fight, I'm going to fight. How do you explain the gauze breaking?"

Margarito didn't look normal. He seemed jumpy, anxious, and confused trying to get under Cotto's skin by throwing his arms up and going, "I'm gonna' beat you again..."

That was the best he could come up with to get the conversation away from the pic Cotto was showing him.

I admit that Cotto's supporters might've grimaced when he said that boxing is "just a job". But Cotto brought up a point that's very true. He let people know that it's not worth rolling the dice, metaphorically speaking, in a boxing fight and risking your health for the sake of fans' temporary adalation. It's not to say he doesn't have any heart, he showed that in past fights against Torres, Corley, and Clottey by choosing to continue the fight rather than say, "Stop the fight. The cut's too bad." He was visibly done in the Margarito fight and any objective fan would understand that. If he had decided to stay in the corner in the 11th round it would've been a repeat of the Pavlik/Taylor I ending.

We as fans compose part of his salary, but only a very, very small fraction of his fans (if any) will actually be there to support him if any health or financial issues emerge long after he's gone from boxing. Who would you rather be? Retired at 32/33 with plenty of money still somewhat relevant in the sport or damaged because you hurt your body by either staying too long (Ali, Holyfield, Jones,Jr.) or taking inordinate amounts of punishment in a particular fight or during your career (Meldrick Taylor, McClellan, Jose Luis Castillo)? I personally believe Cotto is bluffing and people are blowing it out of proportion thinking that Cotto will fold the minute things get tough. I don't think he would take this fight and thinking, "I might lose..." and end up submitting...again...in Madison Square Garden...and against Margarito (of all people). I don't care if he said about how it's "just a job". Losing to Margarito...by TKO...in Madison Square Garden...after all the animosity and accusations...will sting like hell. It's not like he'll be completely indifferent to the outcome. I'm sure this is personal at some level. If it weren't, Cotto wouldn't even be bringing up the wraps issue if he didn't harbor some resentment.

Cotto's playing it cool but any resentment he's cloaking will emerge come fight night. Rest assured, it will be entertaining while it lasts.

My 2 cents...and a little extra.
        You also forgot to add that Margarito ignored a big question from Kellermen "You said to me in the past that you didn't feel anything different in the Mosley fight If that is true how would you know if you had ilegal wraps against Miguel?" Margarito freaked out didn't answer the question and started saying "where is it broken? I don't see anything" Cotto keep telling him were it was broken and he keep saying he didn't see anything broken.

BTW I catched Cotto smiling about 5-6 times during the whole video. He was just not smiling those smiles were calculated smiles like he knows something and that Margarito has no idea what he got himself in to.
        Last edited by AnimalisticMeth; 11-13-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

There's a difference between having the warrior spirit in a fight like Gatti-Ward where its a give and take fight where Marg's fight with Pac was hopeless he was getting pummelled and there was no way he was going to win. If you're getting beat to a pulp and you can't do nothing might as well quit, fights I don't want fighters to quit is the tough and grueling ones where both of fighters abilities are on par.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
            I agree with Diesel...Marg seemed a bit shook being confronted with that pic, and wouldn't even acknowledge the crack in the wrap. Cotto was calm and seemed totaly confident.
            Yes. Cotto's demeanor and expression seemed to be saying, 'Keep talking, chump. I know you cheated with me before, and now that you will be clean, I'm going to **** you up.'

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Ivey View Post
              There's a difference between having the warrior spirit in a fight like Gatti-Ward where its a give and take fight where Marg's fight with Pac was hopeless he was getting pummelled and there was no way he was going to win. If you're getting beat to a pulp and you can't do nothing might as well quit, fights I don't want fighters to quit is the tough and grueling ones where both of fighters abilities are on par.
              BINGO!

I was dopey on benedryl earlier when I tried to comment on this. You nailed it. That is precisely the feeling I have about it.

Comment

If you guys think Margarito was shook looking at a photo of his illegal wraps. Wait till you see the look on his face when Nassim Richardson checks his wraps pre fight. Thats if Cotto agrees to suggestions given to him by people in his camp !!!

Comment

Why does Kellerman talk like a ******? it bugs the beejayzus out of me. Why can't they get someone semi articulate, like Roy Jones or Lennox Lewis.

I know five your olds that can squeeze a sentence out quicker and without pausing between every word like it's some profound eureka moment every time he joins more than three words in succession.

Anyway, enjoyed the face off.

Comment

you're the only one who thinks that

kellerman did a great job

Comment

I don't know if it is the effect of the background music but when Cotto said that Marg was going to ''Feel it" his facial expression was that of a composed madman. I can't make it to NY to see the fight but I am not missing it for anything. Dec. 3 belongs to Cotto and Marg!!

Comment

Working...
                      X