No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Amir Khan Talks Peterson, Facing The Berto-Ortiz Winner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
    Berto's footwork can be pretty sloppy, something that gets him trouble a lot. His defense is very open as well, which is mainly due to him trying to engage his opponent all the time in a slugfest.

Ortiz has the tools to be great, I just think he lacks "IT". Whatever it is, Ortiz has yet to show it.

If Berto's stamina slows in the middle rounds again, Ortiz will probably win again. However, if Berto doesn't attempt to engage Ortiz at every second, like he did last time when he punched himself out, he can box his way to decision against Ortiz.
    It is possible but from every fight I have seen of Berto, particularly one of his worse in Collazo, which I like to use as an example of a boxer (Their worse fight) I can see Berto still shows those flaws.

He has a better chance to not engage, but Ortiz has pretty fast hands and can win a wude UD himself. Berto is fast and if he can keep a distance, which I don't think he can do, he could win.

Ortiz to me is simply not a fighter. I saw a video post Berto with him and some friends at a restaurant. They were all goofy hippy types. Show me your friends and I will show you yourself is what I say to that. He mre or elss admired Floyd, and said sorry 3 times. He is not a born fighter to me in terms of the ring. Athletically he is pretty good, but fighters and athletes are and never have been the same thing. Getting hit hurts!

I would give Ortiz the win once again though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianBale View Post
      It is possible but from every fight I have seen of Berto, particularly one of his worse in Collazo, which I like to use as an example of a boxer (Their worse fight) I can see Berto still shows those flaws.

He has a better chance to not engage, but Ortiz has pretty fast hands and can win a wude UD himself. Berto is fast and if he can keep a distance, which I don't think he can do, he could win.

Ortiz to me is simply not a fighter. I saw a video post Berto with him and some friends at a restaurant. They were all goofy hippy types. Show me your friends and I will show you yourself is what I say to that. He mre or elss admired Floyd, and said sorry 3 times. He is not a born fighter to me in terms of the ring. Athletically he is pretty good, but fighters and athletes are and never have been the same thing. Getting hit hurts!

I would give Ortiz the win once again though.
      Agree. Ortiz has quicker hands than people give him credit for. The way Floyd haters were talking about Ortiz, you would have though he was a mummy or some s**t.

Ortiz is definitely not like the Chicanos that I grew up with to say the least. He's not like most Chicanos in my region, or the Chicano's in CA or TX. He does seem like a goofy hippy/skateboarder/surfer type of guy to me. All that aside, I just think he lacks the big moment gene that most of the top fighters have.

Ortiz is a difficult guy to figure out at times though. We saw him crumble in his first big moment against Maidana in 09', only to shine in his next big moment against Berto last April. Than, his other big momenet against Mayweather, he crumbled again. Hopefully Ortiz comes back as strong as he did after the Maidana fight this time around. If he comes back and beats Berto again, he definitely deserves a shot against Khan this summer at 147. With that said, if Berto comes back and beats Ortiz, he deserves a shot against Khan this summer, for a shot against Mayweather.

If Ortiz can cut the distance and put Berto back on those ropes like he did in their first fight, he has a good shot at beating Berto again. Also, if Berto gasses out again in the middle rounds, I'll guarantee an Ortiz win, either by late TKO or UD again.

If Berto can keep his distance, clinch at the right times, and only trade shots every now and then, I will guarantee a Berto win by UD. However, if he can't keep the distance, he better be able to maintain his stamina, or else he's going down.

Comment

Agree. Ortiz has quicker hands than people give him credit for. The way Floyd haters were talking about Ortiz, you would have though he was a mummy or some s**t.

Ortiz is definitely not like the Chicanos that I grew up with to say the least. He's not like most Chicanos in my region, or the Chicano's in CA or TX. He does seem like a goofy hippy/skateboarder/surfer type of guy to me. All that aside, I just think he lacks the big moment gene that most of the top fighters have.

Ortiz is a difficult guy to figure out at times though. We saw him crumble in his first big moment against Maidana in 09', only to shine in his next big moment against Berto last April. Than, his other big momenet against Mayweather, he crumbled again. Hopefully Ortiz comes back as strong as he did after the Maidana fight this time around. If he comes back and beats Berto again, he definitely deserves a shot against Khan this summer at 147. With that said, if Berto comes back and beats Ortiz, he deserves a shot against Khan this summer, for a shot against Mayweather.

If Ortiz can cut the distance and put Berto back on those ropes like he did in their first fight, he has a good shot at beating Berto again. Also, if Berto gasses out again in the middle rounds, I'll guarantee an Ortiz win, either by late TKO or UD again.

If Berto can keep his distance, clinch at the right times, and only trade shots every now and then, I will guarantee a Berto win by UD. However, if he can't keep the distance, he better be able to maintain his stamina, or else he's going down.
        Nice post there. I agree on that.

Al though even though I am a Khan fan, I would say Khan deserves a shot at them more than they him. He has yet to fight at 147 and they, or the winner will have a belt I believe.

Comment

Nice post there. I agree on that.

Al though even though I am a Khan fan, I would say Khan deserves a shot at them more than they him. He has yet to fight at 147 and they, or the winner will have a belt I believe.
          The Berto-Ortiz 2 winner won't have a belt I think. Berto just vacated his IBF belt because HBO wasn't going to let him fight Bailey on their network, and Bailay was the IBF mandatory. In my opinion, the IBF should have just let Berto defend his title against Ortiz. I mean, I know Bailey is the mandatory and has been for some time....but, is he really better than Ortiz, Alexander, Malignaggi, or Brook???? No. The IBF should have just let Berto keep his title and defend it against Ortiz. It just makes more sense.

That's why I would like to see Khan fight the Jones-Lujan winner for the vacant IBF title or Kell Brook for the vacant title in March/April. That way Khan could bring a title into a fight against Ortiz or Berto. However, Brook is more likely to fight Senchenko for the WBA title, and there have been rumors of Khan fighting Matthew Hatton for his first fight at 147, which sucks.

Being a Khan fan, how do you think he will fair against Floyd??? I really think that as long as he carries the weight fine, and he looks like a natural Welterweight, he has a pretty good shot at beating Floyd. Khan has speed, power, and can come from angles, which may trouble Floyd. If the this version of Khan was fighting the 2006-2007 version of Floyd, I'd give Khan little chance. Or if the this version of Khan was fighting the 2005 version of Floyd at 140, I'd give him no chance. However, Floyd has slown down a bit since his latter prime (2005-2007), which works to Khan's advantage. Don't get me wrong, if Khan beats Floyd, he gets HUGE CREDIT, and it would probably elevate him to #1 P4P in the world (sorry Manny). Floyd may be past his prime (2001-2007), but he is still really good. Kinda like how Ali was in 72'-73' or how Leonard was in 87'88'. Floyd still has a couple years left of really good fighting, and Khan gets massive credit if he beats him.

Comment

The Berto-Ortiz 2 winner won't have a belt I think. Berto just vacated his IBF belt because HBO wasn't going to let him fight Bailey on their network, and Bailay was the IBF mandatory. In my opinion, the IBF should have just let Berto defend his title against Ortiz. I mean, I know Bailey is the mandatory and has been for some time....but, is he really better than Ortiz, Alexander, Malignaggi, or Brook???? No. The IBF should have just let Berto keep his title and defend it against Ortiz. It just makes more sense.

That's why I would like to see Khan fight the Jones-Lujan winner for the vacant IBF title or Kell Brook for the vacant title in March/April. That way Khan could bring a title into a fight against Ortiz or Berto. However, Brook is more likely to fight Senchenko for the WBA title, and there have been rumors of Khan fighting Matthew Hatton for his first fight at 147, which sucks.

Being a Khan fan, how do you think he will fair against Floyd??? I really think that as long as he carries the weight fine, and he looks like a natural Welterweight, he has a pretty good shot at beating Floyd. Khan has speed, power, and can come from angles, which may trouble Floyd. If the this version of Khan was fighting the 2006-2007 version of Floyd, I'd give Khan little chance. Or if the this version of Khan was fighting the 2005 version of Floyd at 140, I'd give him no chance. However, Floyd has slown down a bit since his latter prime (2005-2007), which works to Khan's advantage. Don't get me wrong, if Khan beats Floyd, he gets HUGE CREDIT, and it would probably elevate him to #1 P4P in the world (sorry Manny). Floyd may be past his prime (2001-2007), but he is still really good. Kinda like how Ali was in 72'-73' or how Leonard was in 87'88'. Floyd still has a couple years left of really good fighting, and Khan gets massive credit if he beats him.
            Ah I see, so Berto vacates to have the rematch or more money. I guess the fight is big enough due to the first that a belt and fees for it aren;t that beneficial. As for mandatories, yes it would make sense but I believe they can get sued possibly. I recall reading that the WBC is paying soem guy roughly 500k a year because they side tracked him illegally. I forgot the name now.

I know Khan seeks titles, he loves them to a point he is fixated with them. But a win VS either would put him in the top 5 for sure at Welter.

Jones could give Khan a lot of trouble. He is inexperienced but very dangerous. It would be a good fight if GBP and TR work together for it.

I see you like Kell Brook, who I think has talent. He being south paw could give Khan issues, but I believe Khan just made a statement to leave the Hearns to Kell, and it could happen. Barry Hearn called Khan a fraud after Mccklowskey on TV. I guess Khan didn;t like it.

I think Matthew has no chance IMO. It won't happen to me. However Ricky Hatton has got GBP to give Matthew a shot at Canelo so who knows.

Khan spars at 149 or so and 147 would be perfect for him. He is pretty thin at 140 now. I believe he finds sparring at a natural weight better and can take more shots.

Khan made a point that you can beat Floyd at his own game which is box. Khan doesn't believe brawling will get you the win.

For me, that is an interesting point, because Floyd loves to counter and if you try to brawl, he uses his speed and athleticism to hit you,m and block with the shoulder roll or elbow/hug. He certainly counters you with snappy shot that you run into.

The question is, Khan is still not that accurate, and can get off balanced. His footwork to me is fast, but not fluid. His legs will not catch up to Floyd for me. He can certainly match the speed, if not more.

Floyd has shown some change in his style at Welter in the past 2 years. He is allowing people to get close up and more importantly pushing forward hard. Now if he does this, it would play into Khan hands who likes the centre of the ring.

Ortiz managed to hit Floyd fairly clean a few times, and Khan can, so who knows. I believe Khan poses a different threat, but he is not ready yet. He needs to face guys with a fast right hand lead, such as Bradley for me to fully judge.

Khan loses though. Khan does not have the stamina of Floyd, and he just isn't as accurate or defensive. Personally I think to beat Floyd you need to bully him. Boxing him maybe like JMM did is the worse thing. He sees shots too fast and will time you. He won't make Khan miss everything but will win most of the rounds regardless.

Comment

Ah I see, so Berto vacates to have the rematch or more money. I guess the fight is big enough due to the first that a belt and fees for it aren;t that beneficial. As for mandatories, yes it would make sense but I believe they can get sued possibly. I recall reading that the WBC is paying soem guy roughly 500k a year because they side tracked him illegally. I forgot the name now.

I know Khan seeks titles, he loves them to a point he is fixated with them. But a win VS either would put him in the top 5 for sure at Welter.

Jones could give Khan a lot of trouble. He is inexperienced but very dangerous. It would be a good fight if GBP and TR work together for it.

I see you like Kell Brook, who I think has talent. He being south paw could give Khan issues, but I believe Khan just made a statement to leave the Hearns to Kell, and it could happen. Barry Hearn called Khan a fraud after Mccklowskey on TV. I guess Khan didn;t like it.

I think Matthew has no chance IMO. It won't happen to me. However Ricky Hatton has got GBP to give Matthew a shot at Canelo so who knows.

Khan spars at 149 or so and 147 would be perfect for him. He is pretty thin at 140 now. I believe he finds sparring at a natural weight better and can take more shots.

Khan made a point that you can beat Floyd at his own game which is box. Khan doesn't believe brawling will get you the win.

For me, that is an interesting point, because Floyd loves to counter and if you try to brawl, he uses his speed and athleticism to hit you,m and block with the shoulder roll or elbow/hug. He certainly counters you with snappy shot that you run into.

The question is, Khan is still not that accurate, and can get off balanced. His footwork to me is fast, but not fluid. His legs will not catch up to Floyd for me. He can certainly match the speed, if not more.

Floyd has shown some change in his style at Welter in the past 2 years. He is allowing people to get close up and more importantly pushing forward hard. Now if he does this, it would play into Khan hands who likes the centre of the ring.

Ortiz managed to hit Floyd fairly clean a few times, and Khan can, so who knows. I believe Khan poses a different threat, but he is not ready yet. He needs to face guys with a fast right hand lead, such as Bradley for me to fully judge.

Khan loses though. Khan does not have the stamina of Floyd, and he just isn't as accurate or defensive. Personally I think to beat Floyd you need to bully him. Boxing him maybe like JMM did is the worse thing. He sees shots too fast and will time you. He won't make Khan miss everything but will win most of the rounds regardless.
              Agree. Jose Luis Castillo put the blueprint out there of how to beat Floyd, or at least make the fight really close. Floyd has seemed to have the most trouble with fighters who are bigger, can cut the ring, and keep him on the ropes. Castillo out weighed Floyd by more than 10 lbs in their first fight, cut the ring very successfully is rounds 6-12, and worked Floyd on the ropes for a significant portion of that fight. Even Oscar, who was much bigger than Floyd as well, had some success the first 4-5 rounds against Floyd by pressuring him to the ropes and physically bullying Floyd to them. Ortiz had some success in round 2 and the last minute of round 4 keeping Floyd on the ropes.

What makes Floyd so good is that he CAN fight off the ropes, and is able to dip punches and avoid being hit, even on the ropes. Even that last flurry of Ortiz, after the left hook that Victor landed on him, he only landed 2 more shots in that flurry. People always go nuts when an opponent has Floyd on the ropes and throw flurries, when they're actually only landing a few punches, and most are hitting his arms and shoulders (see Mayweather-De La Hoya).

I don't think Khan can out-box Floyd, but he can certainly box with Floyd at times I think. It's not really Khan's style to pressure and keep an opponent on the ropes for the majority of a fight and turn it into a brawl (which I think is the key to beat Floyd). So, it'll be interesting if the fight happens. It'd be really nice if they fought at Wembley, that would be epic, especially if Khan was coming off a huge win over Ortiz or Berto.

I was reading Dan Rafael's twitter, and it looks like the IBF is ruling that the Jones-Lujan winner will fight Bailey in early 2012 for the vacant title. Now that Khan won't be able to fight Jones for his first fight at 147, I think he should definitely pursure Kell Brook or Alexander if he beats Malignaggi.

Yeah, I am an Kell Brook fan. He's got skills, can be slick at times, and can bang at times as well. I would still favor Khan by UD if they ever fight though.

But, in regards to a Mayweather-Khan fight in late 2012....if Khan is coming off a big win over either Berto or Ortiz, I think Mayweather-Khan at Wembley would sell a s**t load of PPV's. I mean, if Mayweather-Ortiz sold 1.25 million PPV's, I honestly think that Mayweather-Khan could sell between 1.3-1.5 million at Wembley.

Comment

i really like peterson. can't overlook him. he'll give khan trouble. what do u think khan does if he loses. rematch or jump to welter?

Comment

Originally posted by bulldognyc View Post
                  i really like peterson. can't overlook him. he'll give khan trouble. what do u think khan does if he loses. rematch or jump to welter?
                  Though I think Khan will win the fight rather easily, it would be a disaster if he lost. He would lose any chance of fighting Mayweather, Bradley would undoubtably be looked at as a better fighter, and he would then have 2 losses to overcome. It would set Khan back at least 2 years.

Peterson is a good fighter. Technically sound, can slip punches, a decent defense, but not enough natural talent to beat Khan I think. I think Khan is going to win a wide UD, and I think he'll knock Peterson down once (117-110, 118-109, etc.). I just have that feeling, but he won't KO Peterson.

People do forget that Peterson fought a draw with Ortiz, who beat Berto and earned a shot at Mayweather (although I do think Ortiz deserved the decision over Peterson).

If Khan loses to Peterson, I think Khan-Bradley may happen, only if Pacquiao-Bradley doesn't. However, I am still a believer that Arum doesn't intend to make the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight and that he has lined Bradley up, much like he did with Margarito, Mosley, and Marquez. But, if Mayweather-Pacquiao does happen, and Khan were to be upset by Peterson, I would bank on Khan staying at 140 for another fight or two, and that Bradley would step up and fight Khan no doubt this time.

I think the only reason Bradley declined the Khan fight last summer was because he had communicated with Arum and Top Rank, and had been somewhat guaranteed a shot at Pacquiao in 2012 if he signs with Top Rank. Than, given the guarantee or offer to fight Pac in 2012, I don't think Bradley wanted to risk a loss to Khan, which would have prevented a Pacquiao fight most likely. However, if Bradley were to not fight Pac this spring, and if Khan were to be upset by Peterson, I don't think Bradley would fear losing a fight to Khan anymore. It's a lot of speculation, but speculation that has some evidence to support it no doubt. In my opinion, Bradley declined to fight Khan because he knew he'd get a shot at Pac this upcoming Spring, and he didn't want to risk a loss to Khan.
                  Last edited by 4Corners; 11-11-2011, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Khan v Berto or Ortiz would be a good pick-em fight. But if the Berto/Ortiz fight gets made and Berto wins in yet another exciting competitive match, then there will be a trilogy tiebreaker and khan definitely will not be fighting either of them next year.

Comment

if Kahn is taking Peterson lightly and looking past him, he will definitely LOSE this fight....

Comment

Working...
                      X