Comments Thread For: Mayweather Jr. To Return on May 5, MGM Grand on Hold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Come∂ian View Post
    New Stuff from Ellerbe

“When the boss man decides to lace them up, it’s time to go,” Ellerbe said. “He doesn’t want to take any extended time off. Floyd Mayweather is fighting on May 5th at the MGM Grand and he is looking to fight in the biggest fight out there. It isn’t no rocket science [who that is]. He wants the biggest fight out there. We want to give the fans exactly what they want. If we came out and said some ****** s—, that he was going to fight Matthew Hatton or Paulie Malignaggi, no disrespect to those guys, but that’s dumb. It’s disrespectful to the public. That’s not what the fans want to see. If we can’t make [Pacquiao] happen, we’re going to find the biggest fight.”
    New stuff from The Senile One

“They are playing games,” Arum told SI.com after hearing that Mayweather will return to the ring in May and that the MGM Grand Garden Arena has been contacted. “You don’t negotiate this way. This is Floyd trying to move Manny out of the spotlight. This is no way to negotiate a fight. The MGM on May 5th? Who the hell is Floyd to say that? I know they are not serious. We put Floyd in a corner when we made it crystal clear that the issue of drug testing is over. So he comes out and makes this statement? Nobody even knows if he is going to be around in May.”

That last sentence, of course, was Arum’s not-so-subtle way of pointing out that Floyd’s legal problems could land him in prison on the date he is planning to fight. Cheap shots aside, it’s clear that Arum is determined not to let Mayweather dictate the terms of the fight everyone wants to see happen. According to Arum, Jerry Jones has a $30 million offer on the table to hold the fight at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

“What happens if the MGM is not putting up any guarantees?” Arum said. “They have a call in to reserve it. Big deal. Has anyone sat down and negotiated with them? What if Jerry or the Wynn are putting up $30 million? Wouldn’t you consider that? The negotiation on the site is a major element in any of these promotions. They know that. It’s why I believe this is not sincere. This is bull—-. If the fight was to happen Mayweather would want to maximize revenue. He wouldn’t tie himself to one place. He would see what other offers were out there. Even if he says I don’t want to fight in Texas, OK, there are offers.

“I’m not reaching out to anybody. They know my number. I want it done right. I want to maximize the revenue for everybody. And what is the magic of May 5? May 5th is Cinco de Mayo. What does that have to do with anything? It makes no sense.”

Comment

• I have a feeling it's gonna end up being Mayweather-Martinez.

Comment

New Stuff from Ellerbe

“When the boss man decides to lace them up, it’s time to go,” Ellerbe said. “He doesn’t want to take any extended time off. Floyd Mayweather is fighting on May 5th at the MGM Grand and he is looking to fight in the biggest fight out there. It isn’t no rocket science [who that is]. He wants the biggest fight out there. We want to give the fans exactly what they want. If we came out and said some ****** s—, that he was going to fight Matthew Hatton or Paulie Malignaggi, no disrespect to those guys, but that’s dumb. It’s disrespectful to the public. That’s not what the fans want to see. If we can’t make [Pacquiao] happen, we’re going to find the biggest fight.”
        i love ellerbe.

Comment

• Ellerbe also said that Floyd never used xylocaine on his hands!! Never believe a word this gayboy says!!

Comment

“They are playing games,” Arum told SI.com after hearing that Mayweather will return to the ring in May and that the MGM Grand Garden Arena has been contacted. “You don’t negotiate this way. This is Floyd trying to move Manny out of the spotlight. This is no way to negotiate a fight. The MGM on May 5th? Who the hell is Floyd to say that? I know they are not serious. We put Floyd in a corner when we made it crystal clear that the issue of drug testing is over. So he comes out and makes this statement? Nobody even knows if he is going to be around in May.”

That last sentence, of course, was Arum’s not-so-subtle way of pointing out that Floyd’s legal problems could land him in prison on the date he is planning to fight. Cheap shots aside, it’s clear that Arum is determined not to let Mayweather dictate the terms of the fight everyone wants to see happen. According to Arum, Jerry Jones has a $30 million offer on the table to hold the fight at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

“What happens if the MGM is not putting up any guarantees?” Arum said. “They have a call in to reserve it. Big deal. Has anyone sat down and negotiated with them? What if Jerry or the Wynn are putting up $30 million? Wouldn’t you consider that? The negotiation on the site is a major element in any of these promotions. They know that. It’s why I believe this is not sincere. This is bull—-. If the fight was to happen Mayweather would want to maximize revenue. He wouldn’t tie himself to one place. He would see what other offers were out there. Even if he says I don’t want to fight in Texas, OK, there are offers.

“I’m not reaching out to anybody. They know my number. I want it done right. I want to maximize the revenue for everybody. And what is the magic of May 5? May 5th is Cinco de Mayo. What does that have to do with anything? It makes no sense.”
            Arum is right, its about maximizing the revenue,

Comment

• new BREAKING NEWS!

Manny Pacquiao: I'm fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr in May 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
                First of all, Floyd isn't my idol. Second of all, I've never try to deny it that Floyd is a better all-around Boxer than Manny in the ring, but it doesn't mean that i don't acknowledged Manny as being the more greater accomplished Boxer between the two when comes to their legacy. I do think Manny and Sergio have the best chance to beat Floyd[especially Sergio].

However, i don't view the fight[Mayweather-Pacquiao]as 50/50 in the ring like most other posters viewed it as[Just my opinion], but it doesn't mean that i don't give Manny any chance because at the end of the day it only take one punch to change the whole outcome of a fight. I'm not ashamed of stating my opinion of how Floyd is on a different fighting skills level than Manny when it comes to their in-ring fighting abilities.

I love discussing Boxers in-ring fighting strategies. If that make me a fanboy; then I am damn proud to be a fanboy that only get attached to Boxers in-ring abilities rather than being attached to their personal lives.
                That's your opinion but years from now when their resumes are compared people will see that Manny Pacquiao legacy is not more intact than Floyd's. Right now all we can do on here is voice our opinions of who is the best and so forth but I think and feel Floyd Mayweather Jr is more accomplished than Manny Pacquiao especially after Pac's run at WW. Dude hasn't fought a top fight yet and on top of that. Pac has two catchweight title fights under his belt while all of Floyd's titles are not. Floyd fought more at 135 and 140 than Pac. I give Manny the props for being an exciting fighter but better legacy than Mayweather? Can't cosign that one but that's me. I actually think that Pac has no chance against Mayweather but always been adamant about Martinez having the tools. Floyd and Martinez are technically better fighters than Pacquiao. I know his fans don't want to hear but at 147, Manny has been matched up with the right fights to make him look more spectacular.

Comment

• Seriously hope this isnt bull****

Comment

I dont like the old man but dont tell me this doesnt make sense.

Its the biggest fight ever, why lock down to MGM?

Im sure there are countries out there or big time stadium owners that would pay to have the fight in their country or staidum to get the fight on?

If the UK said hey, we want the fight over here for $30 million, why would they not consider it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxn View Post
                      I dont like the old man but dont tell me this doesnt make sense.

Its the biggest fight ever, why lock down to MGM?

Im sure there are countries out there or big time stadium owners that would pay to have the fight in their country or staidum to get the fight on?

If the UK said hey, we want the fight over here for $30 million, why would they not consider it?
                      I do agree with him on this. Why not have a bidding war between the sites to get the most money possible........

Comment

Working...
                      X