Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Mayweather/Ortiz enhance or take away from Mayweather's Legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, sucka punching an opponent enhances a fighter legacy?

sucka punch = cleaning up the sport of boxing

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
      Pretty simple per the title. Do you think the result of Mayweather/Ortiz enhances, takes away from or does not affect Mayweather's legacy? Had the fight ended non controversially, this would even be a question. But since the result has caused so much debate, poll to follow. Please discuss!
      At the end of the day, its a win, a KO, and a WBC belt. It will enhance his legacy but is nothing great. Even if he destroyed him in the most greatest KO ever, it would still be a win, a KO and a WBC belt. This is how it will appear years down the road when he is inducted into the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        Polls on NSB do not determine a fighters legacy.
        Exactly per what you quoted, I said "for the most part legacy is decided by fan and people's perception of a fighters career." While yes a poll on NSB can be somewhat of an indicator of public perception. At NO TIME did I say legacy is determined by an NSB poll.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
          At the end of the day, its a win, a KO, and a WBC belt. It will enhance his legacy but is nothing great. Even if he destroyed him in the most greatest KO ever, it would still be a win, a KO and a WBC belt. This is how it will appear years down the road when he is inducted into the HOF.
          No it wont, it will be a question mark. Lets both hope he doesnt retire leaving a bigger one.

Comment

Originally posted by RajahBell View Post
            Best ever!! You could tell from his face that he put his whole body into the knockout. Career defining.
            This guy is more than just a stellar ball player!

Comment

He was a heavy favorite to beat Ortiz, so really how much credit do you give someone for doing something they are suppose to do.

Solid win to throw on his pile of solid wins that get dissed for one reason or another~

Even if Floyd won a different way I don't see how he should get a bunch of credit though~ because really how does Ortiz stack up to the greats (he doesn't).

There are only two ways Floyd can really get higher, continue on and really add to his longevity beating good fighters no matter how (which this is included in) or beat an actual great fighter.

Beating 1 good solid fighter really does little for him at this point no matter how~

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                He was a heavy favorite to beat Ortiz, so really how much credit do you give someone for doing something they are suppose to do.

Solid win to throw on his pile of solid wins that get dissed for one reason or another~

Even if Floyd won a different way I don't see how he should get a bunch of credit though~ because really how does Ortiz stack up to the greats (he doesn't).

There are only two ways Floyd can really get higher, continue on and really add to his longevity beating good fighters no matter how (which this is included in) or beat an actual great fighter.

Beating 1 good solid fighter really does little for him at this point no matter how~
                While I agree being a heavy heavy favorite limits the amount of credit you can take, I think the way a fight unfolds still would have affected how much mroe credit he could have gotten.

Floyd enters the ring as a heavy favorite over every opponent available to him. I don't agree he's incapable of getting any credit. I for one was thrilled to give him credit for an Ortiz victory. I'm a bit undecided on how to credit the fight as a result of how it played out.

Comment

While I agree being a heavy heavy favorite limits the amount of credit you can take, I think the way a fight unfolds still would have affected how much mroe credit he could have gotten.

Floyd enters the ring as a heavy favorite over every opponent available to him. I don't agree he's incapable of getting any credit. I for one was thrilled to give him credit for an Ortiz victory. I'm a bit undecided on how to credit the fight as a result of how it played out.
                  Just read the last paragraph of your post Gambler, I do agree beating another great fighter will give him another boost.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post

What really sucks about this one, is I don't think this win will work for Mayweather down the road very much. I have big doubts Ortiz is going to excel at the highest level against other elite opponents. If Ortiz were to get sparked in the middle rounds verse a Pacquiao or Cotto, it wouldn't make the win look much better imo.

Comment

Like I said beating one guy like Ortiz really means very little to him overall but if he beats 10 more that means a lot.

He should get credit for the win but to me he was going to have to do a lot to really go beyond that, he didn't do that other than to take advantage of a rookie mistake which in the heat of the moment a lot of fighters don't really do that.

A win is a win though and really Ortiz made the mistakes not Floyd how much do you fault a guy for taking advantage of another guys blunder, Do people short Jordan for pushing dude from the Jazz out of the way to hit the championship winning shot, Jordan took advantage of the guy being overly aggressive which allowed him to get that extra push.

Comment

Working...
                      X