Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can the RING possibly justify ranking Cotto as the #1 Junior-Middleweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    Why? Floyd was retired at the time, or just came back and fought Marquez. Mosley lost to Cotto then beat Margarito. So I believe Mosley & Cotto were the top two prior. I'm going off memory so I may be off.
    After Floyd retired the lineage went to Cotto.

Then to Margarito.

Then to Mosley.

Now currently back to Mayweather.

When the RING made Pacquiao #1 after beating Cotto, Mosley was still the lineal champ, regardless of the RING ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Player3 View Post
      The lineage doesn't just vanish and no longer exist when a guy moves up or vacates, it gets passed on to the next in line. And it's not about the lineage of one single alphabet title.

I'm following the lineage since Winky Wright, the last RING champion vacated.

When Winky moved to middleweight, the lineage goes to the next line which was Ouma.

Ouma got beat by Karmazin.

Karmazin got beat by Spinks.

Spinks got beat by Phillips.

Phillips got beat by Williams.

Williams moved to Middleweight and vacated

Phillips was next in line, but he retired.

Spinks was ranked just below Phillips which means lineage goes Spinks

Spinks gets beat by Bundrage.

Bundrage holds the lineage.

Clear enough now?
      About as clear as sewage water.

I agree that The Ring champions should be recognised as the only true champions in each division and I also agree that where the lineal line is broken, champions holding The Ring belt fill in the cracks as best as is possible despite the lineal line being broken. What on Earth did Kassim Ouma do though to gain lineal status? Being rated as the nearest contender is not enough to gain the lineal status or the Ring belt. The line is broken until someone wins The Ring belt.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
        About as clear as sewage water.

I agree that The Ring champions should be recognised as the only true champions in each division and I also agree that where the lineal line is broken, champions holding The Ring belt fill in the cracks as best as is possible despite the lineal line being broken. What on Earth did Kassim Ouma do though to gain lineal status? Being rated as the nearest contender is not enough to gain the lineal status or the Ring belt. The line is broken until someone wins The Ring belt.
        Boxing would be a whole lot better off if the RING title was the ONLY title, and 1 & 2 were MADE to fight or completely be dropped from the rankings.

Ouma was ranked #1 by the RING and held the IBF title when Winky moved up to Middleweight.
        Last edited by Deal With It; 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Boxing would be a whole lot better off if the RING title was the ONLY title, and 1 & 2 were MADE to fight or completely be dropped from the rankings.

Ouma was ranked #1 by the RING and was and held the IBF title when Winky moved up to Middleweight.
          Ouma is/was a good fighter, but he hadn't done enough to gain the status as the lineal champion simply by being the number one contender. Had Ouma then beaten the number two contender then he'd have taken the vacant Ring/Lineal belt. As far as I'm concerned and as far as The Ring is concerned, the line is broken and can only be re-made when the top two contenders fight.

Comment

The lineage doesn't just vanish and no longer exist when a guy moves up or vacates, it gets passed on to the next in line. And it's not about the lineage of one single alphabet title.

When Winky moved to middleweight, the lineage goes to the next line which was Ouma.

Clear enough now?
            That logic would make Vitali Klitschko the lineal champ at HW.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              That logic would make Vitali Klitschko the lineal champ at HW.
              He was in '04.

After he retired the lineage went to the #2 guy in the division who was Byrd.

Wlad beat Byrd, now Wlad owns the lineage.

Comment

because miguel angel cotto is a BEAST! as clegg said Cotto KO1 GOD. . . .

lol nah im not sure. . . he hasn't done that much at 154 yet, but he certainly has the skills to beat anyone at 154. Not saying he definitely would, but he could. . . who knows what they have in mind when they release the rankings.

Comment

Then to Margarito.

Then to Mosley.

When the RING made Pacquiao #1 after beating Cotto, Mosley was still the lineal champ, regardless of the RING ranking.
                  seems like you don't know what lineal means.

you are the lineal champion if:

1. you beat the lineal champion
                  2. there is no lineal champion in the division and whoever wins between the number 1 and number 2 guy

Comment

Clear enough now?

Then to Margarito.

Then to Mosley.

Man, your logic is all screwed up. The lineage doesn't just get automatically handed down to the next guy in line, that's not the way it works. I don't know where you got that from. If the person leaves the division or vacates, then it's broken, and the #1 and #2 need to fight and it starts over from there. That's why after Lennox Lewis retired there was no true lineal champion for some time (not until the #1 fought the #2).

And lol @ chris byrd becoming the lineal champion after Vitali retired.

Comment

Can we get some sources here?

I'm hearing a bunch of he said she said......

Comment

Working...
                      X