Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mistake EVERYBODY Makes Against Mayweather.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think Ortiz's inside give and take can pay off if the chance is there. Doing exactly what he did with Berto, being very physical and forcing Floyd against the ropes or corners. Even with the shoulder roll action Ortiz can find success by just banging on him. Ortiz's mental game is the only issue im concerned with. He's a warrior but if too many rounds get away from him and he goes all heart and guts, he will fall apart. many believe that going all out is what might break Floyd down, but nothing in Mayweathers history has shown that to be a good gameplan to beat him. Ortis has to fight possessed, force himself in punching range and get off those two/ three punch combos while keeping his hands up. hard to do, but maybe doing some potshotting of his own, some solo shots to the body. just as long as he keeps his head in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
      I see Roberto and Pernell giving Floyd hell.

Those guys had good defense which can exploit Floyd's low output style. Oscar's defensive skills made Floyd's offense look less impressive than usual.

duran would and pernell could....

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
        if u want to fight floyd with defence, u should be faster than him in terms of handspeed and footspeed, because if not, his offense, lead rights, jab to the body, potshots, jumping left hook, would still be able to catch up to you.
        u should also be a patient as he is in countering him. Remember, mosley also tried backing off, and mayweather hits him at any angle he wants.
        the situation will be likely u wait for mayweather, u counter him suddenly, u miss, mayweather gets the successful counter. i just dont think defence would be floyds weakness.
        I agree with much of what you say, but Mosley is a particularly bad example to use. Mosley spent his career using his chin as his defense.

Comment

The young spaddy with the great headmovement and most importantly angles, a bit more speed but most importantly timing. I would imagine a young spadafora with a bit more speed and a cottosense of timing and you've got a floyd beater.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
            I have to admit, that fight threw me for a loop. A little bit.

I expected Floyd to box him. But I fully expected Floyd to try to turn Shane all night. I didn't anticipate that Floyd would box Shane from 18 inches away. Even after he got rocked.

That was good stuff.
            The only way I see anybody beating him is to knock him out. You're not going to outbox him. This guy can throw 20 punches to your 40 and still win the round. He's not going to over exert himself chasing you or swinging wildly. It would be hard to create distance against him also. He would come with a high guard and pick you apart. Best chance is to get him in a brawl and catch him like Mosley did but as we saw he has a good chin also. Jr. is close to being the perfect fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Clint650 View Post
              i think Ortiz's inside give and take can pay off if the chance is there. Doing exactly what he did with Berto, being very physical and forcing Floyd against the ropes or corners. Even with the shoulder roll action Ortiz can find success by just banging on him. Ortiz's mental game is the only issue im concerned with. He's a warrior but if too many rounds get away from him and he goes all heart and guts, he will fall apart. many believe that going all out is what might break Floyd down, but nothing in Mayweathers history has shown that to be a good gameplan to beat him. Ortis has to fight possessed, force himself in punching range and get off those two/ three punch combos while keeping his hands up. hard to do, but maybe doing some potshotting of his own, some solo shots to the body. just as long as he keeps his head in the fight.
              I think that is a bad idea.

1) Floyd is stronger than Berto (yes)
              2) Floyd is EXTREMELY clever and tricky inside
              3) Floyd is very comfortable in the corners and against the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint650 View Post
                I think Oscar had the right idea, but just couldn't put it all together they way he and Freddie had it all planned.

Comment

For discussion....thoughts?

That was a bit cheap but fair - defend yourself at all times etc. Mosley was chatting, wasn't paying attention, and got caught napping. It also shows a trait of Mosley's that I think has been a big weakness for him over the years - no head movement. He tends to be physically more gifted than his opponents and generally has gotten away with poor head movement over the years. Against a sharp fighter like Mayweather, as soon as the distance is right he'll ram his right hand in to that stationary head, as Shane found out rounds 3-12 of that fight.

This is beautiful and a combination of offense and defense that few in the history of boxing are capable of. It also won him a close fight, where his low output was almost beaten by the less accurate but higher volume fighter.

Zab was tired and Mayweather was taking him apart by this point. You can't stand at that distance without either moving or throwing shots, otherwise a fighter of Floyd's quality will just beat you up.

This goes back to the concentration I was talking about. As Mosley got tired and frustrated, look how an elite fighter becomes almost amateur - what the hell is his left hand doing after that jab? It's low, not even all the way back. He's just pawing it out because he's too apprehensive to throw it with conviction and too caught up in how he can land a clean shot. He's forgotten to do something absolutely basic - bring the hand back quickly and high. When frustrated and tired, as many Mayweather opponents become, things like this happen.

Concentration, concentration, for every second of every minute of every round. You can't throw lazy punches, he punishes them.
                  Last edited by charlieg; 08-20-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -PITO- View Post
                    The young spaddy with the great headmovement and most importantly angles, a bit more speed but most importantly timing. I would imagine a young spadafora with a bit more speed and a cottosense of timing and you've got a floyd beater.
                    But Spaddy isn't throwing anything that Floyd respects.

You see plenty of these feather-fisted guys who do well against B competition. But once they step up, they flounder. The opponent realizes "Oh, ****, I can't feel his punches".

See hatton-malignaggi.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                      That is why big guy with a good jab seems like a good proposition to beat Floyd, with a long good jab a fighter can control distance and if Mayweather can't get into range he can't be effective on offense.

Now just a jab probably doesn't get it done because Floyd can fight inside and knows about getting inside on a longer range fighter, but that is the place I would want to start from.

yeah........ I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X