Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Defense: Winky Wright or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
    How is not close??

Winky was barely hit clean. Pernell was barely hit clean. I think a alot of people are getting to caught up in the flash Sweet pea had. Winky was just as good defensively it wasnt the flashiest but it was a ****ing master lock.

Watch Winky vs. Vargas..with the sound off. My jaw dropped. Vargas landed maybe 2 punches a round...clean.
    It's not close because Winky Wright didn't fight anywhere near as capable fighters as Pernell Whitaker and got hit alot more than Pernell Whitaker.

Pernell Whitaker is arguablly the greatest defensive fighter of all time.

Winky Wright is probably not even in the Top 10.

It is not close.

Comment

pernelle an it aint even close........winky is trash.

Comment

A lot of underrating of Winky and overrating of Pernell.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          It's not close because Winky Wright didn't fight anywhere near as capable fighters as Pernell Whitaker and got hit alot more than Pernell Whitaker.

It is not close.
          What's up Iron, why aren't Mosley, Vargas, Tito, B-Hop & Taylor not capable?

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
            A lot of underrating of Winky and overrating of Pernell.
            Why is this statment being used so frequently recently? If someone doesn't agree with something that is frankly common sense is "underrating an overrating"

Pernell Whitaker is globally recognised as argubally THE greatest defensive fighter of all time, minimum Top 3. How is he being overrated in any way shape of form.

Winky Wright, on the other hand, is globally NOT included in the argument. Because, although a good fighter, is far from a Pernell Whitaker, including defensively.

Pernell Whitaker is clearly better defensively than Wright, mainly ue to the fact he gets hit alot less.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              What's up Iron, why aren't Mosley, Vargas, Tito, B-Hop & Taylor not capable?
              That's not what I said.

I said he fought less capable fighters and got hit more. Than Whitaker.

Compare those list of fighters to who Whitaker fought.

Comment

winky didn't get hit clean

whitaker didn't get hit at all

whitaker by a country mile

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                  Wright a little better because of his left jab.
                  Uh, Wright's a southpaw.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

It is not close.
                    I understand where your coming from, Dan. I wouldn't go as far as stating that Wright's defense probably isn't top 10, though.

Let's be honest, he's fought some good competition throughout his career and whatever opposition he didn't fight, well, they weren't exactly eager to get in the ring to do business since Wright's style wasn't the most fan-friendly. It's safe to say that his defensive style didn't attract those big fights.

Comment

IMO, it's Whitaker by a mile, a true master who got robbed !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X