Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Teddy Atlas overrated as an "expert" on boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *Boss* View Post
    Teddy Atlas knows more about boxing than anyone on this forum.

/Thread.
    100% agreed

Comment

Originally posted by *Boss* View Post
      Teddy Atlas knows more about boxing than anyone on this forum.

/Thread.
      I agree with that, but I think he chooses to play the part of the contrarian for purely egotistical reasons.

In the prediction world there are people who like to go against the grain hoping for that one time where the stars align and one of their kooky picks makes them look like a genius so they can be the one to say "I told you so."

Comment

People just hate on Teddy Atlast because he might not think "someone's" favorite fighter is impressive, or the best thing since sliced bread.
        All opinions aside he's not overated, he had potentially one of the greatest heavyweights that was on his way to re-writting boxing history, Mike Tyson(he also did very well with briggs, offensive machines). Tyson was a "GUARANTEED MEAL TICKET" for Teddy Atlast. But Atlast is old school, he took respect over money and glory. Tyson assaulted one of Atlast's family members when she was at the gym. So Teddy threatened him with a gun, saying that if he ever saw him again, for what Tyson did, he would blow his head off. Teddy Atlast is as real as they come, protects his family at all cost, and gives back to the community like his father did.
        Where were these kinds of threads 8 years ago? No where! because the actual boxing fans already know.
        Last edited by ElMeroChingon; 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

as a commentator yes as long as hes not making his top 10 ATGs

Comment

I take it this thread is nothing to do with Atlas not liking the Klitschko's?

Comment

Teddy Atlas doesn't know the difference between a Gorilla and an Ape just like he doesn't know the difference between "real experts" and arm-chair experts like he is?!

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
                Why does the opinion of Teddy Atlas get so much media attention?

After all, he was a failure as a trainer. He was fired by Cus D'Amato after being his assistant, because he lost his cool and held a gun to age 15 Mike Tyson's head.

Atlas angrily left Shannon Briggs after Shannon was KOed, same with Michael Grant and several others. He was the trainer in Michael Moorer's corner when George Foreman KOed him to become the oldest HW champion ever.

Since hooking up with Atlas, Alexander Povetkin has gone from a world HW title contender to fighting clubfighters to becoming inactive.

Teddy was even going to shoot and kill Donny LaLonde after that boxer fired him as trainer.

Atlas has only ONE win as a trainer in a world title fight. Trainers such as Richardson, Roach, Wegner and Steward have MANY such wins.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Atlas
                Atlas is underrated, a great boxing mind, developed as a mastermind under the great cus dmato, I love his commentary and wish he did major fights with both shobox/time and HBO.

Comment

He has a tendency to be over dramatic and loves to hear himself talk, but he knows what he is talking about. I think he is a good commentator.

Comment

Teddy has been around a long time and seen a lot in the sport. He can compare fighters from different generations. Remember this is the guy who discovered Tyson, not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreamer View Post
                      I agree with that, but I think he chooses to play the part of the contrarian for purely egotistical reasons.

In the prediction world there are people who like to go against the grain hoping for that one time where the stars align and one of their kooky picks makes them look like a genius so they can be the one to say "I told you so."
                      I do this often and it works, I predicted the 9ers 2011 season and I never get tired of rubbing it in. I am right more often than I am wrong, but I love taking the unpopular stance with confidence because when it pays off, and it does, its very satisfying to know you were mentally stronger than those who were scared to go out on a limb. I never make a completely baseless prediction, those are the most rewarding.

If you really know what you are talking about, it's not a kooky pick at all.

This backfired on me with Pac/Bradley II, but I reaped rewards and respect from getting Broner/Maidana right.

Comment

Working...
                      X