Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz: who will you be rooting for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This fight isn't close to happening, its a rumor started by karl dargan. Hbo wants the fight though

Comment

Part of me wants Ortiz to win so future boxing stars are secured for a little while (the guy who beat Mayweather is bound to get casual fan's attention) but I still gotta go with Floyd.

Comment

Ortiz is an exciting fighter who will win new fans for the sport, while Mayweather is dull to watch and turns potential new fans away.
        Last edited by The Hammer; 06-13-2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Def rootin for Ortiz is this one.

Comment

I'm just slightly leaning towards rooting for Ortiz versus just wishing it's a good fight. This is the first fight since Floydr's return vs JMM that I could kinda care less who wins, before I've somewhat leaned towards Mayweather to win (and those chances weren't slim) just so we can get the megafight between May & Pac...but now, I'm not so sure that fight ever happens. I'm a realist though, Ortiz more or less, only has a punchers chance, but this is boxing and anything could happen. If Ortiz wins, good for him, we'll have a new name to cheer for - if Mayweather wins in a competitive bout, I'll be satisfied with that. Ultimately, I would just like for Victor to give it his ALL.

It's crazy thinking about it, I'm guilty of discounting this guy, but it wasn't too long ago, maybe a year or so (before the Peterson fight) I was on this website, trying to tell people that his fight with Maidana was a fluke. Talking about the 140 division, I kept insisting Ortiz, even with his loss, was still the most dangerous opponent beside Amir Khan. After that Peterson fight, I think we all stopped wondering and just didn't know what to think of the guy. I'm glad to see him rebound so well vs a solid opponent in Berto. I still don't think he's ready for Floyd, but it is the 2nd best fight to be made at welterweight, so lets get it on

Comment

I almost always root for the exciting fighter when their fighting a defensive fighter. I just have more love for that "I'm a beast" style.

Only reason not to root for vic will be because of the Pac v floyd fight down the road, but come fight night, once the beers start flowing, it's gonna be hard not to root for ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                It would be better for the sport of boxing if Ortiz wins

He is an exciting fighter who will win new fans for the sport, while Mayweather is dull to watch and turns potential new fans away.
                Right. Which is why so many people watch his fights.

Hate him or love him, people want to see him.

As long as there's even a small chance of a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight, casual fans will keep interest.

It's funny to hear you talk smack about "dull to watch" fighters. When your guy 1-2's his way to victory, stopping guys late, that he should be stopping in 2.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm View Post
                  It's funny to hear you talk smack about "dull to watch" fighters. When your guy 1-2's his way to victory, stopping guys late, that he should be stopping in 2.
                  While Floyd goes the distance with fighters? Floyd has only stopped ONE of his past SIX opponents.

Some of those guys were much smaller like JMM or faded like Mosley, Baldomir and Oscar, yet Floyd wasn't able to beat them inside the distance.

Those guys Wlad stops late, like Chambers, Thompson and Chagaev, had never been stopped or even down in a fight before they fought Wlad. Why should Wlad stop durable opponents like that in 2 rounds? But even if he did, you'd still hate him.

Wlad has 49 KOs. Haye will be #50, and since Haye is not as difficult to KO as Chambers, Thompson, and Chagaev, I guarantee it will happen in an earlier round.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm View Post
                    Right. Which is why so many people watch his fights.

Hate him or love him, people want to see him.

As long as there's even a small chance of a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight, casual fans will keep interest.

That's the thing. People can hate him, or love him.

But the fact is, when he fights it's an event that everyone wants to see and more or less everyone will watch.
                    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Floyd. I like Ortiz better, but Floyd's 0 is too precious at this point. Meanwhile Otiz's record already has 4 tick marks.

Also, if Floyd wins, than hopefully May/Pac next. But Ortiz wins, Pac/Ortiz just sounds awful, and May/Pac will have lost so much momentum

Comment

Working...
                      X