Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather has never beaten an elite fighter in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at the time, castillo and corrales were both considered elite.

castillo especially. corrales was a little overrated

Comment

Wow ANOTHER Floyd thread that is the same topic as about 500 other Floyd threads.

You're better than this Tunney.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
        That works for all of those except for Casamayor. He was right there in weight when that was going on. I don't know all the details of that fight not coming together, but I am pretty sure it had to do with money (aka the death of the sport).

Other than that, Margarito, Cotto and Pacquiao are the three names that I can really point to and say, "man, he really should have fought them at that time", meaning Margarito before the Williams loss, Cotto before the Margarito loss and Pacquiao... well, now.

I used to think this Margarito $8 million offer and Floyd ducking him wasn't an actualy duck because he was making the same amount to fight for the lineal championship against Baldomir of the division (even if Tata isn't that good, it is hard to fault a guy for going after the guy who beat the lineal title, especially when that line of champions runs from Baldomir to Judah to Spinks to Mayorga to Forrest to Mosley after his win over P4P #1 Oscar De La Hoya which vaulted him to P4P #1 himself)... however, someone showed me an ESPN article from back then that showed that the $8 million offer was on the table before the Sharmba Mitchell fight. I have no problem with Mayweather taking the Mitchell fight as a tune-up, to test the waters of 147, get his body used to the weight, etc., but there really is no excuse to fight Zab Judah, coming off a loss for less money.

Call me crazy, but I think Mayweather would have had an easier time with Margarito than Judah... Margarito just doesn't have the speed to land a lot on Floyd, and Floyd's elusiveness and quickness would keep him from getting caught on the ropes, meaning that even if he loses a round here and there on the rare occasion that he does find himself pinned on the ropes and Margarito scores some points, I don't see it happening enough rounds to give Margarito the decision, and I don't see Floyd wearing down the way Cotto did.
        it was still on the table after, but it was the options that was the problem, floyd wanted 10 mil after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom! View Post
          Hmmmm....

So Floyd couldn't fight Mosley at 135 because he was fighting at 130?

So Floyd couldn't fight Tszyu at 140 because he was fighting at 135?

Then, why did Floyd get Hatton to move up to 147 when Ricky was fighting at 140?

Why did Floyd force the old featherweight Marquez to move up to 147 when he was fighting at 135?
          God are you really this stupid, or do just hate floyd that much? cuz its f**king ridiculous, one when floyd fought marquez at 147 why wouldnt he??? he was the bigger name in that fight and marquez called out floyd...duh, 2nd mayweather has been calling out mosley since 1999 http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/03/to...osley-scuffle/
          and for tszyu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEHF5HX6Jb0
          and for hatton, mayweather was already 147 for over two years by then
          please do some research before you just go out there and just blindly hate floyd, i dont like floyd myself, but you are making a fool out of yourself

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Johnson was considered an elite fighter.
            The way the commentators were talking, you'd think he wasn't suppose to struggle with Castillo the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom! View Post
              Hmmmm....

So Floyd couldn't fight Mosley at 135 because he was fighting at 130?

So Floyd couldn't fight Tszyu at 140 because he was fighting at 135?

Then, why did Floyd get Hatton to move up to 147 when Ricky was fighting at 140?

Why did Floyd force the old featherweight Marquez to move up to 147 when he was fighting at 135?
              Lol, I swear you get your rocks off to stirring up trouble and getting the fanboys of certain fighters to bite. I know you know the answer to these questions.

Floyd wanted Mosley at 135, but Mosley turned it down. Rightfully so too, he had bigger fish to fry, setting himself up for a mega money payday against Oscar (which worked out quite well as it turned out). Why risk working towards that against another young, dynamic fighter, who really doesn't bring a lot of money to the table in Mayweather? Mayweather turned the tables on him after Mosley's two wins over Vargas, when Mosley wanted him, but rescinded that do to a toothache (for the people questioning that excuse, imagine what it feels like the get your mouth pounded over and over when you have serious dental problems... yeah shutup) and then Floyd turned it down when Mosley was ready because he was very close to getting the De La Hoya fight secured.

In the case of Tszyu, Mayweather had just gotten to 135 and probably was in no hurry to move up another weight division after getting an unpleasant reality check against a big, very strong lightweight in Castillo... Tszyu was likely bigger and stronger (for some reason I can't picture those two side by side, so I don't know if Tszyu is taller than Castillo).

To be completely honest, I think almost all of the names that Mayweather called in his early fights were a bunch of talk and that is all... but I do believe he wanted three of them: Hamed, who was a huge payday and a smaller man who could be easily exploited and exposed by such a skillful blend of technical offensive capabilities and masterful defensive elusiveness, Tszyu, who he started talking about at 130, even though overcoming the stupid HBO/Showtime exclusivity nonsense would be a challenge... I just do believe him merely because of the amount of times he said he wanted that fight at some point; it just doesn't make sense to call a 140 pound fighter out at 130 if you actually don't want any part of him, and De La Hoya, which is the fight that he got. The guy would make him more money than he could spend (just kidding, enjoy your ongoing legal issues with the IRS you ignorant, irresponsible moron), and Floyd has never been bashful that money is his top priority in the sport.

In regards to making Hatton and Marquez move up, after Mayweather beat De La Hoya, he became the big attraction (and who can blame the public after the PURE excitement that every second of Mayweather-De La Hoya brought us), and could kind of pick his opponent, because it was the biggest payday that his opponent could get. He was able to get Hatton to move up, and Marquez called him out, although that means absolutely nothing, because, just as Hatton called Mayweather out to "get him out of retirement", I'm sure Team Mayweather already had a deal done or very close to done with the Marquez people, just like they did with the advisers of Ricky Hatton.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                In their first encounter I thought Castillo won clearly, Johnston even admitted to fighting Castillo's fight. The rematch, I saw on YT in bad quality, so I'm gonna have to rewatch that, already got the file too. Johnston was a good fighter though, strong little guy, never allowed Castillo to push him around. It's weird how Castillo bullied just about everyone, except the much smaller Johnston.
                Was Johnston not a slick-ish fighter? I thought he was pretty technical and had decent defense... like Kevin Kelley at worst.

Maybe it's just racist lil' ol' me thinking that all AAs are slick. Who knows... I've been known to fall into that trap before.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                  it was still on the table after, but it was the options that was the problem, floyd wanted 10 mil after that.
                  God, egotistical promoters and fighters arguing really is the biggest collection of ****headery that can be found on the planet.

Good stuff Arum and Floyd... it really would have sucked had that fight happened.

The way the commentators were talking, you'd think he wasn't suppose to struggle with Castillo the first fight.
                  Castillo had four losses coming in to eh competition. He couldn't stop his eyes from gushing blood and losing on TKOs due to cuts. One of the fighters he lost to, Julio Alvarez got blown away by Stevie Johnston in two rounds. Jauregui had beaten him twice without any other significant wins, five losses coming in, and a follow up act of losing to a green Jesus Chavez. And Cesar Soto who took a unanimous decision loss RIGHT DOWN THE PIPE to Duke McKenzie two weight divisions down in a bantamweight title fight needed less than two years to get a fight with Castillo, and take his face... off in two rounds.

Obviously you can't ever count anyone out due to their previous fights, but... all of that probably seemed quite foreboding for his chances, especially considering his only big(ish) wins coming into the Johnston fight were an ancient Jorge Paez and Steve Quinonez, who I think I may have heard referred to as a prospect... like once.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
                    Was Johnston not a slick-ish fighter? I thought he was pretty technical and had decent defense... like Kevin Kelley at worst.

Maybe it's just racist lil' ol' me thinking that all AAs are slick. Who knows... I've been known to fall into that trap before.
                    His defense was pretty good when he got on the defensive, he wasn't hard to hit though. Manfredy touched him up too, didn't think that was as one sided as Lederman made it out to be either, scored that 7 rounds to 5 Johnston. He fought very smart against Castillo, Johnston like Casamayor was able to tie Castillo's left arm EASILY, both were very successful in doing that.

This is why personally, I would have given Spadafora a very good chance in beating Castillo.
                    Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 04-07-2011, 07:22 AM.

Comment

His defense was pretty good when he got on the defensive, he wasn't hard to hit though. Manfredy touched him up too, didn't think that was as one sided as Lederman made it out to be either, scored that 7 rounds to 5 Johnston. He fought very smart against Castillo, Johnston like Casamayor was able to tie Castillo's left arm EASILY, both were very successful in doing that.

This is why personally, I would have given Spadafora a very good chance in beating Castillo
                      Ok, now I'm going to have to go home and watch both of those again tonite.
                      You keep preaching this, so I want to see where you're coming from.

On a side note, Spaddy or Casa would have been excellent fights for Floyd back then. He would have probably Gatti'd Frietas, too, but you never know.

Comment

Working...
                      X