Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people act like calzaghe ducked prime hopkins and jones??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a fan of Hopkins, and having watched almost every fight with him, since he turned pro. Hopkins was a better fighter to me before 2001 (97-00), had much better stamina. When he dominanted and beat Glen Johnson, Hopkins fought at an incredible pace and wore down Johnson.

Sure some of his fights during 95-99, was not thrilling to say the least. But, Hopkins dominanted, and would and should have become a star back then. If he would have gotten a shot at stardom.

To me Hopkins stamina started to go down after the Joppy fight, and buy the time he fought Calzaghe it was to low, in order for Hopkins to dominante.
    In the earlie rounds Hopkins looked good and like a prime fighter. But, as the fight progresse, hopkins lack of the stamina he have showed when he was younger started to show.

When hopkins was in his prime, he was not as defensive, and fought not at as low pace as he do today. If you dont see that, then you are really blind.

Hopkins is not shot, not close. But he is not in his prime, past his best, but still very good.

A prime Hopkins would have been able to keep up with Joe in the later rounds, and Joes speed would not have trouble him as much as it did -08.

What Hopkins still at 46, do is simply put it beyond incredible. Still, i tought as most that Hopkins won his last fight, by a couple of points. But, his age has in my eys really started to affect him much more then most perhaps thinks.

Larry Holmes was a top contender, and still very dangerous when he was 41-44. And of course Foreman. But after 45, even those fighters, and any other for that matter starts to loss his skills, speed, stamina and even chin for that matter very fast.

I hope Hopkins doesnt hang around for much longer, losing to contenders and average fighter. That would survive 3-4 rounds, with a prime Hopkins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blah! View Post
      anywhere between 2003-2008 is a duck, when was it suppossed to happen?
      It was supposed to happen in 2003 before Johnson fought Roy. In fact, Calzaghe tried to reschedule the fight with Johnson but he chose to fight Jones instead which was understandable. The fight was scheduled to happen again but Johnson lost to Clinton Woods.

Comment

• Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
        when in reality that wasnt the case.........
        hard for Americans to accept.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calzaghe Loc View Post
          lol..at the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
            has anyone actually watched calzaghe fight "in his prime"? or is it just a talking point?
            prime calzaghe is the guy who had devastating power and knocked out everyone he faced. what a beast!

Comment

• Originally posted by Calzaghe Loc View Post
              ...even Ukrainians don't accept it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Why do people act like someone even knew who Calzaghe was back then? Reminds me of when Vivian Harris said everyone was ducking him.

This is it in a nutshell. All this time spent posting on this forum and people still don't understand the mechanics of when, how and why certain fights get made......

Comment

• Originally posted by British Pride View Post
                  Calzaghe was ducked by Hopkins and Roy rejected $5m to face him. Jermain Taylor was offered $4m and asked for $10m, Kelly Pavlik was twice offered fights. Whenever a fighter was offered a fight wih Calzaghe they started asking for ****** money or just rejected him. American fans hate Calzaghe, mostly African Americans. Joe broke there hearts so many times.

Just because an offer to fight is made and declined it doesn't mean a duck has occurred. Why don't ppl understand this?? If this was true every fighter who ever boxed ducked someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by QADASHBANYAH View Post
                    PROBABLY BECAUSE HE NEVER FOUGHT A PRIME HOPKINS OR A PRIME JONES???

IM PRETTY SURE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT THOUGH...???

Come on man, what in the hell do you think??

You think that was a prime JONES? OR A PRIME HOPKINS?

HE WAS A CHAMP, MOST PEOPLE KNOW THAT AS A EUROPEAN YOU AINT **** UNTIL YOU PROVE YOURSELF AGAINST THE BOYS OVER HERE. HE WAITED A DAY TOO LATE AND WAS A DOLLAR TOO SHORT.

Now I dont take anything from him (CALZAGHE) as he had talent, no doubt, but once again this topic is not about his talent but when he fought two fighters....

He (JOE CALZAGHE) fought jones in 2008.

IN MAY 2004, JONES GOT HIS ASS WHOOPED BY TARVER,.
                    (UNABLE TO CONTINUE)

IN SEPTEMBER 2004, GLEN JOHNSON KNOCKED HIS ASS OUT, AND HE LAID UNCONSCIOUS FOR 3 DAMN MINUTES!!!

OCTOBER 2005 TARVER BEAT HIS ASS AGAIN. THIS WAS IN 2005 MIND YOU HE WAS DONE THEN. x3 BACK TO BACK LOSSES FOR SUPERMAN.

Jones took on Prince Badi Ajamu on July 29, 2006, and yes he won, but who in the hell is Prince Badi Ajamu??? LOL

HE BEAT ANTHONY HANSHAW LOL

Put it this way he (ANTHONY HANSHAW) got served by andre dirrell in a 5th round TKO... BASICALLY A BUM.

SO HE WON, BUT AGAIN TO BUMS, AND HE BEAT TITO WHO HAD BEEN RETIRED SINCE BASICALLY 2002, I MEAN TITO FOUGHT TWICE SINCE HIS 2002 RETIREMENT, AND THEN FOUGHT ROY IN 2008, BEFORE HE (ROY) FOUGHT JOE CALZAGHE.

LISTEN THERE WAS JUST A POST ON HERE ABOUT MANNY NOT BEING LIKE ROY JONES... EVERYONE KNOWS ROY WAS OVER THE HILL WHEN HE FOUGHT CALZAGHE.

ANYONE THAT DOESNT SEE THIS IS DELUSIONAL, HE WAS SLOWER, COULDNT EVEN CONNECT ON CALZAGHE, WHOM LITERALLY DANCED FOR ROY WHILE FIGHTING ROY LOL.

HE WAS OVER THE HILL.

I LIKED ROY, DAMN GOOD FIGHTER, BUT HE WAS OVER THE HILL WHEN HE LOSS TO TARVER X2 AND GLEN JOHNSON.

WHEN YOU ARE KNOCKED OUT AND STILL KNOCKED OUT WHEN THE DAMN NETWORK IS SIGNING OFF, YOU ARE DONE!

IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND MAKE YOUR STANCE.

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL ROY PRIOR TO RUIZ WOULDNT HAVE BEEN THE FAVORITE IN THE CALZAGHE FIGHT.

HELL CALZAGHE WAS THE FAVORITE!!! AGAINST ROY "SUPERMAN" JONES LOL!!!

BECAUSE THE BOOKIES KNOW BEST!! THEY DONT BET WITH MOTIONS, BUT WITH SOLID LOGIC.

I WON SOME GOOD MONEY OFF THAT FIGHT TOO AS I BET ON CALZAGHE!!! I WOULDNT HAVE DARED DONE THAT **** AGAINST ROY IN HIS PRIME.

Now BHOPS IS DONE NOW AS WELL, I LOVE BHOP, BUT HIS STYLE IS KEEPING HIM IN THE GAME LONGER....THATS IT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

YEAH HE BEAT A WASHED UP ROY, AND HIS RECENT FIGHT WITH PASCAL, SHOWS YOU THE SAD STATE OF BOXING WHEN A 40 PLUS YEAR OLD CAN WHOOP THE YOUNG BUCKS EASY...LOL

HELL AFTER THE ROY FIGHT EVEN SCHAFER WAS LIKE HE (BHOP) NEEDS TO RETIRE..LOL HIS BUSINESS PARTNER!!!

NOW I CAN DO THE SAME FOR BHOP, BUT ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS NOT TO DISCREDIT CALZAGHE, JUST TO STATE THE TRUTH.

THE OVER THE HILL BHOP KNOCKED CALZAGHE DOWN..LOL

NO WAY IN HELL BHOP THAT FOUGHT TITO WOULD HAVE LOST TO CALZAGHE, I MAKE MONEY BETTING SON. THIS IS WHAT I DO.

^^^

well put.

Comment

• Calzaghe's win over Bhop = good win and a relevant win.

Calzaghe's win over Jones means nothing!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X