Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Resume Sugar Ray Leonard or Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=The Noose;10077176]My break down of ur list. Just my opinion. (I voted Leonard)

Was once good, but not by the time Duran fought him. Was stopped in his previous fight.

Good win.

God win.

Duran beat him while he was on a terrible losing streak at the end of his career.

I disagree. He had 10 losses in 25 fights when Duran beat him. He had already been stopped 3 times.

Good win.

7 losses in 23 fights when Duran beat him. Had been stopped twice before.

5 losses in 21 fights. Was stopped 3 times previously.

Decent, but was never world champion.

No decent wins on his record, and had no punch. He was destroyed by Rosario.

8 losses and 5 draws with only 18 wins when Duran fought him. No.

Decent win for Duran, but Palomino was coming off a loss to Benitez.

ATG win.

Good win.

Was coming off a loss and a 2 year lay off.

12-0. lol

Good win. Maybe great win for a former LW.

Im a huge Duran fan, but i disagree. Leonard has great wins over ATG's that Duran simply doesnt.

Leonard beat Duran, Hearns, Benitez, Hagler, all when they were at or close to their best (Hagler was ring worn, but still consistantly victorious).

Hearns may have struggled with the weight, and Duran agreed to the rematch too soon, but i didnt see it effect their performance, plus they are ATG's.
    Leonard came off a 5 year lay off to beat Hagler. That in itself eclipses anything Duran did IMO.

Also, take into account their respective losses and Leonard trumps Duran.
    You bring up loses like they're important. Look at the wins the fighters have.

By the way, Leonards best "win" against Hagler. Hagler was over the hill.

Duran lost 2 fights when he was considered prime having fought the much better opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      and the general consensus is that Castro was robbed when Duran won, and that Duran was robbed when Castro won. thats why they had an immediate rematch in Panama after Castro got a freebie in Argentina.

Have you actually seen either fight? Duran didn't win more than three rounds in either fight.He put up a much better effort than most would have thought capable in the first fight,but in no way did he deserve the decision.

Vinny Pazienza clearly beat Duran the first time around,but that didn't stop them having an immediate rematch.

Comment

some posters here fall in the trap of comparing the 4kings in a round robin matchup and surely you'd have SRL over Duran. career wise, i'd give Duran the edge over Leonard.

Comment

ray has better names but duran has more fights

Comment

SRL has the better wins and resume.

Comment

Overall,Leonard is clearly the superior fighter of the two.If you want to watch boxing,you'll watch a Sugar Ray Leonard fight.If you want to watch an ugly grappling contest,you'll prefer Duran's style.

I don't get it myself,but some people appreciate that smothering,non-sustained attack that Duran used throughout much of his career.You've seen on Roberto Duran fight,you've seen them all.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                I can assure you that this has everything to do with the fact that you know absolutely nothing about the sport of boxing.A worthless newb that simply cannot add anything informative to a topic that he has absolutely no clue about.

Here's another ****** that seems content to pollute this topic.You will not find one credible source that has Duran balooning up to over 200 pounds in such a short space of time.It's impossible to gain that much weight in just two months.

So Leonard's win over Hagler is "controversial" and Duran's "win" over Iran Barkley isn't? Yeah,right.

And Duran lost clearly to Castro in both fights.He received a hometown gift in their rematch.

Just Duran saying so, and Leonard admitting he rushed the rematch because he knew Duran's weight ballooned up from drinking eating and partying.

Not to mention that Duran was so dehydrated from the prescription diuretics he was given to make weight he wanted to postpone the fight because he was so weak and hadn't trained properly.

You might not like the truth but thats the way it went down.

Duran expected Leonard to give him a rematch just like Duran gave him but Leonard knew Duran at 100% beats him.

Comment

prinzemanspopa

Maybe you can learn something.

Yeah no credible source

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                    prinzemanspopa

Maybe you can learn something.

Yeah no credible source

Leonard even admits he knew Duran would put on 40-50lbs.

Leonard mugged Duran in the rematch.

Duran at 100% beats Leonard every time, thats why Leonard never gave him a rematch till he was an old man.

Comment

prinzemanspopa

Where have you gone

Duran beat Leonard in the ring.

Leonard beat Duran outside the ring.

Where my apology?

Comment

Working...
                      X