Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Resume Sugar Ray Leonard or Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
    To me is Duran, dominated a division. Pretty much cleaned out and he outlasted the whole fab 4.

Even in the mid 90's he was beating good fighters.
    What you say is true, but he doesn't have the names Leonard has on his resume Benitez, Hearns, Duran, Hagler, Price, etc. Duran was still beating guys like Barkley even when he was past his prime. Duran was more consistent but Leonard beat the better fighters.

Comment

To me is Duran, dominated a division. Pretty much cleaned out and he outlasted the whole fab 4.

Even in the mid 90's he was beating good fighters.
      He was a clearly a fake lightweight

Comment

Originally posted by FootWork777 View Post
        What you say is true, but he doesn't have the names Leonard has on his resume Benitez, Hearns, Duran, Hagler, Price, etc. Duran was still beating guys like Barkley even when he was past his prime. Duran was more consistent but Leonard beat the better fighters.
        Answer my previous post on the previous page or GTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          He was a clearly a fake lightweight
          I haven't read the whole thread...However, by your response seems like somebody is questioning Duran as a LW? I'm kind of lost so let me go back and read to catch up.

And, Duran started near the bantamweight limit in his career. Dude wasn't a legit WW...I'm guessing somebody is trying to say he is right?

I go back and read.

Comment

Answer my previous post on the previous page or GTFO.
            Why are you getting all feminine on me? You think you can kick me out of my own thread LMAO! Diva much

Comment

Originally posted by Blah! View Post
              hate ray leonard.....dunno why......so im gonna pick duran

I can assure you that this has everything to do with the fact that you know absolutely nothing about the sport of boxing.A worthless newb that simply cannot add anything informative to a topic that he has absolutely no clue about.

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
              SRL only beat a 70% Duran in the rematch where Duran blew up to over 200lbs in those 6 months.

Here's another ****** that seems content to pollute this topic.You will not find one credible source that has Duran balooning up to over 200 pounds in such a short space of time.It's impossible to gain that much weight in just two months.

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
              Leonard notable wins:

Marvin Hagler(controversial MW champ)

Roberto Duran notable wins:

Iran Barkley(MW titlist)
              Jorge Fernando Castro

So Leonard's win over Hagler is "controversial" and Duran's "win" over Iran Barkley isn't? Yeah,right.

And Duran lost clearly to Castro in both fights.He received a hometown gift in their rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by FootWork777 View Post
                Why are you getting all feminine on me? You think you can kick me out of my own thread LMAO! Diva much

Comment

You went to Leuzinger? I went to Leuzinger...And, we around the same age. So we had to be there at the same time. What's your name? Do you know Dorrell Wright? He plays for the Warriors that was my homeboy too I was one year ahead of him. He went to Leuzinger as well.

I'm friends with Russell Westbrook and his family as well. We grew up together lived in the same apartment complex on Lemoli in Hawthorne. I just talk to his younger bro Raynard and his pops "big" Russ.

Really what is your name...I might know you.
                  My name is Azubike but I go by Mike, I graduated from Leuzinger in 2003, I had economics class with Dorrell in my senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by americanbot View Post
                    sugar lost to duran but it was more then close enough to warrant a rematch (thats why the rematch happened because the 1st fight was close) in the immediate rematch duran is outboxed frustrated & quits. thats the end of that.

also the move up from 135 is NOT impressive to me. nut huggers of duran put WAY too much into it without actually doing their research. the fact of the matter is duran fought about 7 times at welterweight before challenging sugar. he even fought at 150....duran was more of a 140 pounder then 135. he was draining himself to make 135....duran was never really this weight. if you are going by the duran @ 135 he wouldn't be a solid ATG ether. the opponents were no where near as good to warrant him a half way respected place in the ATG rankings. so duran being a natural 140 pounder would pretty much make him & sugar the SAME weight because sugar moved from 140 (and physically couldn't make 150 before he moved to 147) but duran could make 150 before he moved to 147 & EASILY did. thats because duran was never really a 135 fighter to begin with.

its just another ret@rded excuse.

i will be glad to light this entire thread up with truth.....

i didn't give duran 1 round against Benitez. over the course of 15 rounds he lost all of them (and i do NOT care who duran beat that ko'd benitez because triangle theories are for the ******. if he didn't beat benitez its useless) if you are ranking only durans 135 reign he wouldn't be a solid ATG at all. thats why you have to look at 147 150 because thats when he fought the MUCH MUCH better fighters.....the weight excuse is old tired & boring....he simply fought better fighters then what he had fought at 135....

to me this forum ALONE (not the rest of the world or other sites) over rate duran. but realty is realty.....
                    Again, name me another LW who has as good a win at welterweight as Duran's over prime Leonard. hell, its hard to name any win as good as that.
                    Duran was a natural lightweight. Back then they had same day weigh ins. If he really drained himself so much for the fight, his stamina would have been totally spent, and he wouldnt have been able to go the 12+ rounds that he did without slowing down.
                    Duran over the course of his lightweight(and before) reign beat a lot of quality fighters. Guts Ishimatsu and DeJesus would go on to take the lightweight championship after Duran had left. Saoul Mamby would go on to get robbed in about a year for the 140lb championship, and then would hold the belt over multiple defenses. Two of Duran's opponents, Ernesto Marcel and Vilomar Fernandez, would go on to beat Alexis Arguello, while Marcel held the featherweight crown and Fernandez would beat him at 135lbs. Ken Buchanan will likely get into the HOF. Kobayashi had previously been the superfeatherweight champ just three months prior to fighting Duran. Then throw in top fighters like Viruet and Lampkin and you have a damn good LW record, one of the best ever. youll be hard pressed to find many reigns that were as accomplished.

Add in the fact he beat a former lineal champ(very dominantly) and then beat arguably the 2nd best Welterweight of all time. that right there is enough to be one of the greatest ever.
                    I dont remember any more of the fab four beating top opponents at 46 years old.

and the wins over Barkley and Moore are very significant. although it does not magically make Duran have wins over Hearns and Benitez, it does say that Duran was able to beat fighters that those two greats could not. and thats saying something, considering how excellent Hearns and Benitez were and that Duran was the oldest and smallest of all of them.

also, not to be a jackass, but if youre going to highlight a world its probably best you learn how to spell it(reality)

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                      I can assure you that this has everything to do with the fact that you know absolutely nothing about the sport of boxing.A worthless newb that simply cannot add anything informative to a topic that he has absolutely no clue about.

Here's another ****** that seems content to pollute this topic.You will not find one credible source that has Duran balooning up to over 200 pounds in such a short space of time.It's impossible to gain that much weight in just two months.

So Leonard's win over Hagler is "controversial" and Duran's "win" over Iran Barkley isn't? Yeah,right.

And Duran lost clearly to Castro in both fights.He received a hometown gift in their rematch.
                      Its my own point of view. I had Duran winning the Barkley fight, and Hagler winning the Leonard fight. you can go ahead and call the Duran-Barkley fight controversial if you want, but I didnt think it was.

and the general consensus is that Castro was robbed when Duran won, and that Duran was robbed when Castro won. thats why they had an immediate rematch in Panama after Castro got a freebie in Argentina.

Comment

Working...
                      X