Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Cotto Post-Fight Interview

I just saw this today. Not sure if it's been posted already:

Floyd Mayweather - Miguel Cotto Post-Fight... by JFKConspiracy
    Last edited by Fistic; 05-13-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Guess all the fast food and inactivity caught up wit Mayweather.
      He looked slower and was more inacurate than ever.
      Miguel was cutting off the ring w/ease.

The replay looked more like a draw or Cotto win by a round.
      Initially I didnt give him any early rounds but he won round 1 and 2.
      Also rd 9 and 11 -

Comment

• Originally posted by ProTrainer View Post
        Guess all the fast food and inactivity caught up wit Mayweather.

Also rd 9 and 11 -
        I would love to see your rationale for saying that Cotto won round 1. The man didnt do anything of note in that round whatsoever. I'm really trying to understand where you people are coming from.

Comment

• Here is a translation I did of Marquez analyzing the fights between Cotto/Mayweather and Canelo/Mosly.

If you want to follow along, the video can be found here:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/vide...522197&cc=3888

Enjoy.

--------

Announcer Dude: Here we are in the Golpe A Golpe Ring, ready to demonstrate what we saw happen last Saturday with Juan Manuel Marquez. Well Juan, it’s very difficult to bring what Mayweather does into practice, since it’s a very complicated style, but what did Cotto attempt to do to damage Floyd?

JMM: What Cotto attempted to do was get inside the guard of Floyd Mayweather. When he was able to do it (crouches)s, he’d throw 1,2,3,4,5,6, even 7 (throws inside combination), where the last two would land on Mayweather; very good combinations starting downstairs and ending up top, throwing a right hook (to the body), a left hook (to the body), a right hand (up top), a left hook, and an uppercut, being able to land the last two punches. What was important was his throwing of consecutive combinations. Mayweather’s a fighter whose not used to have his opponents throwing combinations of 3, 4 shots, and what Cotto did here was throw up to 7, where the last two would land very well.

Announcer Dude: Why did Miguel Cotto have more success with his offensive than what Juan Manuel Marquez had with his offensive?

JMM: What Cotto did on the offensive was jab well. He kept the jab on Mayweather (jabs and corners announcer dude onto the ropes), and also landed it well, he made him bleed. He jabbed at distance and with speed, and one even snapped Mayweather’s head back, turning his head to say hi to the crowd. And several times he connected the jab, and I think that was very important-

Announcer Dude: Yours couldn’t get there.

JMM: I couldn’t get there, because of the distance. If he stretches his hand out here (jabs with announcer dude, whose reach is superior), what I wanted to do was move (mimics bending waist to get inside), and he’d move back and take my punching angle away. I think that was a very important point. And another is that Floyd Mayweather risked more than what we thought. He risked more than when he fought with me.

Announcer Dude: (inaudible question)

JMM: He wanted to knock me out. He says he tried to knock me out in the sixth or seventh round, but there were times he’d try, and I’d counterpunch him and connect my shots on him. Not with the same potency, because the difference in weight was extreme.

Announcer Dude: Right. Now, Floyd Mayweather’s offense, how did he do damage to Cotto?

JMM: He did a lot of damage to Cotto. Well, Cotto was already in his guard, in short (shells up in crouch against announcer dude); it’s harder to get there in the first place. But once he was there, he stood right in front of Mayweather, and ate all of the right uppercuts Mayweather threw, and didn’t move his waist. That was the very big mistake Miguel Cotto committed. What they always tell you in the gym is to bend your waist and always be moving (moves side to side).

Announcer Dude: He was too open as a target.

JMM: Exactly, to avoid receiving the uppercuts. There was also a round where he threw 6 straight times, the same jab, and right hand. He threw that same combination some 6, 7 times.

Announcer Dude: Even though he had his guard up, it would land (mimics high guard).

JMM: Yes, he’d throw it through the side of the guard. Because Cotto had his hands up like this (raises hands); he’d cover up and from there couldn’t see the right hook. It would come through from behind (throws overhand right through guard). He couldn’t even try to do this (blocks left hand side of face with forearm), because he could change it to a right uppercut. There are a lot of risks there.

Announcer Dude: The length of the arms, the potency, the speed, how difficult Mayweather is.

JMM: Yes, yes.

Announcer Dude: Now, let’s go over the fight of Saul Canelo Alvarez. El Canelo, we said, offered interested things. His combinations were good, Juan; 1-2-uppercut, or sometimes he’d change it to finish downstairs (throws combination); and from nowhere, the left hook would surface (throws left hook).

JMM: Yes, that hook that he has down well. He’ll throw the jab, throw the jab, and suddenly change it to a hook (throws combination), with that feint he throws really well.

Announcer Dude: And if you open yourself up too much, it comes down the middle.

JMM: Exactly, an open target like Mosley was. He’d come in like this (hands wide apart), and what would come out well from Canelo was the 1-2-uppercut, and he’d always connect them. And another thing he did, as we’ve been noticing very repetitive combinations, was the jab, right uppercut, and left to the liver. That, that he does very well, but he repeats it too much. He needs to make a change…

Announcer Dude: They start to learn it…

JMM: They start to learn it. When they know the right uppercut and left hook (downstairs) is coming, they’re going to cover up, and then throw the counter afterwards (announcer dude throws left hook after JMM finishes). He needs to go forming different combinations.

Announce Dude: What can come out after that left hook to the body, what would you recommend Canelo throw?

JMM: That combination can be: (right) uppercut, hook to the liver, and come up with an uppercut with that same hand, or also, right uppercut, left to the body, and a right hand from there. Or it can also be, right uppercut, left to the body, right hand, left hook, and close with a right. They’re very good combinations that can do damage to any fighter.

Announcer Dude: With the potency Canelo has, landing one of those…!

JMM: He can also throw a combination that goes better with a feint. Right uppercut, crouch down like you’re going to throw downstairs, and come up with a right…I mean a left hook, sorry (throws combination.)

Announcer Dude: That’s alright Juan, you tried (laughs).

JMM: Thanks, I appreciate it.

Announcer Dude: The Golpe A Golpe Ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogotazo View Post
            Here is a translation I did of Marquez analyzing the fights between Cotto/Mayweather and Canelo/Mosly.

If you want to follow along, the video can be found here:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/vide...522197&cc=3888

Enjoy.

--------

Announcer Dude: Here we are in the Golpe A Golpe Ring, ready to demonstrate what we saw happen last Saturday with Juan Manuel Marquez. Well Juan, it’s very difficult to bring what Mayweather does into practice, since it’s a very complicated style, but what did Cotto attempt to do to damage Floyd?

JMM: What Cotto attempted to do was get inside the guard of Floyd Mayweather. When he was able to do it (crouches)s, he’d throw 1,2,3,4,5,6, even 7 (throws inside combination), where the last two would land on Mayweather; very good combinations starting downstairs and ending up top, throwing a right hook (to the body), a left hook (to the body), a right hand (up top), a left hook, and an uppercut, being able to land the last two punches. What was important was his throwing of consecutive combinations. Mayweather’s a fighter whose not used to have his opponents throwing combinations of 3, 4 shots, and what Cotto did here was throw up to 7, where the last two would land very well.

Announcer Dude: Why did Miguel Cotto have more success with his offensive than what Juan Manuel Marquez had with his offensive?

JMM: What Cotto did on the offensive was jab well. He kept the jab on Mayweather (jabs and corners announcer dude onto the ropes), and also landed it well, he made him bleed. He jabbed at distance and with speed, and one even snapped Mayweather’s head back, turning his head to say hi to the crowd. And several times he connected the jab, and I think that was very important-

Announcer Dude: Yours couldn’t get there.

JMM: I couldn’t get there, because of the distance. If he stretches his hand out here (jabs with announcer dude, whose reach is superior), what I wanted to do was move (mimics bending waist to get inside), and he’d move back and take my punching angle away. I think that was a very important point. And another is that Floyd Mayweather risked more than what we thought. He risked more than when he fought with me.

Announcer Dude: (inaudible question)

JMM: He wanted to knock me out. He says he tried to knock me out in the sixth or seventh round, but there were times he’d try, and I’d counterpunch him and connect my shots on him. Not with the same potency, because the difference in weight was extreme.

Announcer Dude: Right. Now, Floyd Mayweather’s offense, how did he do damage to Cotto?

JMM: He did a lot of damage to Cotto. Well, Cotto was already in his guard, in short (shells up in crouch against announcer dude); it’s harder to get there in the first place. But once he was there, he stood right in front of Mayweather, and ate all of the right uppercuts Mayweather threw, and didn’t move his waist. That was the very big mistake Miguel Cotto committed. What they always tell you in the gym is to bend your waist and always be moving (moves side to side).

Announcer Dude: He was too open as a target.

JMM: Exactly, to avoid receiving the uppercuts. There was also a round where he threw 6 straight times, the same jab, and right hand. He threw that same combination some 6, 7 times.

Announcer Dude: Even though he had his guard up, it would land (mimics high guard).

JMM: Yes, he’d throw it through the side of the guard. Because Cotto had his hands up like this (raises hands); he’d cover up and from there couldn’t see the right hook. It would come through from behind (throws overhand right through guard). He couldn’t even try to do this (blocks left hand side of face with forearm), because he could change it to a right uppercut. There are a lot of risks there.

Announcer Dude: The length of the arms, the potency, the speed, how difficult Mayweather is.

JMM: Yes, yes.

Announcer Dude: Now, let’s go over the fight of Saul Canelo Alvarez. El Canelo, we said, offered interested things. His combinations were good, Juan; 1-2-uppercut, or sometimes he’d change it to finish downstairs (throws combination); and from nowhere, the left hook would surface (throws left hook).

JMM: Yes, that hook that he has down well. He’ll throw the jab, throw the jab, and suddenly change it to a hook (throws combination), with that feint he throws really well.

Announcer Dude: And if you open yourself up too much, it comes down the middle.

JMM: Exactly, an open target like Mosley was. He’d come in like this (hands wide apart), and what would come out well from Canelo was the 1-2-uppercut, and he’d always connect them. And another thing he did, as we’ve been noticing very repetitive combinations, was the jab, right uppercut, and left to the liver. That, that he does very well, but he repeats it too much. He needs to make a change…

Announcer Dude: They start to learn it…

JMM: They start to learn it. When they know the right uppercut and left hook (downstairs) is coming, they’re going to cover up, and then throw the counter afterwards (announcer dude throws left hook after JMM finishes). He needs to go forming different combinations.

Announce Dude: What can come out after that left hook to the body, what would you recommend Canelo throw?

JMM: That combination can be: (right) uppercut, hook to the liver, and come up with an uppercut with that same hand, or also, right uppercut, left to the body, and a right hand from there. Or it can also be, right uppercut, left to the body, right hand, left hook, and close with a right. They’re very good combinations that can do damage to any fighter.

Announcer Dude: With the potency Canelo has, landing one of those…!

JMM: He can also throw a combination that goes better with a feint. Right uppercut, crouch down like you’re going to throw downstairs, and come up with a right…I mean a left hook, sorry (throws combination.)

Announcer Dude: That’s alright Juan, you tried (laughs).

JMM: Thanks, I appreciate it.

Announcer Dude: The Golpe A Golpe Ring.

Welcome back, Champ!

Comment

• CompuHoax will always favour Floyd. Cotto won 5 rounds. 115-113 Mayweather. 2007-2008 Cotto beats any version of Mayeather. NEXT!

Comment

• Originally posted by ProTrainer View Post
                Guess all the fast food and inactivity caught up wit Mayweather.

Also rd 9 and 11 -
                I dissagree...Floyd DID Get a little tired, but I think its from fighting at this weight...he got a little gassed when he fought Oscar as well...as far as his speed, he was fast as HELLL...It was like the gatti fight, and a few more notches faster than when he fought Marquez...his combinations, angles, AWESOME...His offense, was almost SHOCKING...The fourth round, was great....I think Floyd was so offensive minded, he got almost reckless...I want him to go back to throwing less punches, and picking shots, and I also want him to stay away from this weight class...no Martinez, and no Canelo...waaay too risky for him to fight at this class

Comment

• Originally posted by egodfather View Post
                  CompuHoax will always favour Floyd. Cotto won 5 rounds. 115-113 Mayweather. 2007-2008 Cotto beats any version of Mayeather. NEXT
                  I think Floyd would've beaten that version much more decisively. For instance, Cotto would've been more open for Floyd to land the straight right hand and Cotto didn't had the kind of footwork that he has now. Pedro Diaz really understood Floyd's style inside and out as most Cuban fighters have that similar style, but back in 2007-2008, Cotto wouldn't have had a clue on how to avoid the straight right hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                    Is that smart... or dumb?
                    smart but when you add in all the out of the ring gimmicks he uses to sell the fight, that make him by himself not really a heavy draw as manny pacquaio. Manny pacquaio has no out of the ring gimmicks doesnt stack his cards and yet he still does as good as mayweather.
                    Last edited by #CaneloKhan; 05-13-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• We know that Floyd automatically brings a 1.1 mil to the plate just off of his name, period.

Comment

Working...
                      X