No announcement yet.

Stop already comparing Manny to Armstrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RimmyDelicious View Post
    "Henry Armstrong TKO end of 6 Lew Jenkins -- Polo Grounds, N.Y., July 17, 1940

Welterweight champion Henry Armstrong was obliged to weigh in seven pounds under the division limit for his scheduled 12-rounder with lightweight champion Lew Jenkins. This was no problem for Armstrong, a featherweight champion who was small for a welterweight. Armstrong came in at 139 pounds, while Jenkins was just a half-pound over the lightweight limit of 135.

The fight held intrigue because Jenkins, from Sweetwater, Texas, was known to be a terrific hitter. New York Times columnist John Kieran was one of many who felt that Jenkins's big punch gave him a chance. "If he can land that punch on a dodging target like Armstrong he may do well for himself," Kieran opined in a prefight story.

Jenkins did indeed do damage. Joseph P. Dawson reported in The New York Times that Armstrong's left eye was swollen almost shut while his right eye "dripped a blinding flow of blood" after a desperation left hook opened an old cut. Armstrong was winning the fight, though. He took command from the fourth round and Jenkins was down seven times, unable to hold the stronger, superior fighter in Armstrong. Referee Arthur Donovan stopped the fight at the end of the sixth as Jenkins "writhed and groaned on his stool" in the words of reporter Dawson."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3238297

Non Title fight. Catchweight for Jenkins benefit, not Armstrongs. Armstrong never fought for the title with the champion coming in at a catchweight. What part dont you understand?

Comment

Originally posted by pasawayako View Post
      lol@ts comparing pac with armstrong. pac was just greater and it wasn't even close.
      ''was'' ?

why do you use past tense ?

english 101

Comment

Originally posted by CungLe View Post
        Pacquiao >>>Henry Armstrong all the way

its not even close!
        Anytime I see one of your post I will avoid it like a plague, don't want to waste my time or get any stupider! Im on here cause I respect most boxing fans opinions but man you are by far the worse.

Comment

Originally posted by j.one View Post
          He refuses drug tests, he fights at catch weights and won't fight black Americans, he's a bum and a fraud.
          he has never tested positive
          he wants Floyd who happens to be a black American
          he is a 7 division champion, soon to be 8
          he beat a lot of great fighters
          he has big balls

unfortunately, it will now be the third time he asks an opponent to cut weight since he has moved up to 147

it tarnishes his most recent achievements : beating DLH, beating Cotto, and soon beating Margarito (getting 2 world titles in the process)

please no hate here

Comment

Originally posted by LeTombeur View Post

So why hurt his legacy with those catch-weights ?

De la Hoya cut 7 pounds, a whole division down.
            Cotto cut 2 pounds.
            And now they want Margarito at 150 for the vacant WBC 154 pound title.

Nonsense. And it's not even a close fight on paper. Pacquiao will toy with Margarito.

Therefore, I say respect the weight-divisions, respect the fighters, and respect the fans.

To me, Pacquiao is not only a multi-divisional champion, he's also a multi-catch-weight champion, and that is sad. Bringing down the weight of your opponents when you're the one who is supposed to be moving up, that's ****ed up to me. Weight division have become suggestions in Pacquiao's world.

Did RJJ asked Ruiz to come in at 215 when he fought him ? No. He was out-weighed by something like 30 pounds, and it didn't matter.

hy tarnish the great run from 112 to 140 at the very end of a fighter's career ?
            was Dela's choice to fight a former 106lbs fighter at 147 and he got owned.

Cottos previous fight before Pac he was 146. WHOA, 1lb. Again he had a choice.

Margo was just at ww for like the past 10 years. 150 is no problem. Again Manny started at 106.

Hatton was at his BEST weight and the lineal champion there. Funny you dont mention that.

Another thing Pac isnt taking tune ups. He takes hard fights one after the other....Maybe e should have some light weights come up and meet him to make you happy.

Comment

Pacquiao has been compared by a lot of people to the great Henry Armstrong because of his similar successful rise through the weight divisions.

But Manny Pacquiao hasn't done it the same way as Armstrong did, because Henry was never afraid of being outweighed by several pounds by his rivals as he was going up in wieght. He was the much smaller fighter a lot of the times, and he still won.

I believe Pacquiao is a true warrior. So I really don't get why he is asking for catch-weights since he has moved up to the WW zone. Just look how he dominated all his recent opponents, does Pacquiao really need catch-weights ? **** no. He could be fighting his opponents at their full healthy natural fighting weight, and he would still beat them.

Cotto cut 2 pounds.

Nonsense. And it's not even a close fight on paper. Pacquiao will toy with Margarito.

Therefore, I say respect the weight-divisions, respect the fighters, and respect the fans.

To me, Pacquiao is not only a multi-divisional champion, he's also a multi-catch-weight champion, and that is sad. Bringing down the weight of your opponents when you're the one who is supposed to be moving up, that's ****ed up to me. Weight division have become suggestions in Pacquiao's world.

Did RJJ asked Ruiz to come in at 215 when he fought him ? No. He was out-weighed by something like 30 pounds, and it didn't matter.

Homicide Hank 134 Ceferino Garcia 146½ for the World WW title
              Homicide Hank 142 Ceferino Garcia 152 1/2 for the World MW title

Why tarnish the great run from 112 to 140 at the very end of a fighter's career ?
              Manny Pac went down to 140 from 147 to fight Ricky Hatton for the lineal championshipat 140. Man, did Ricky weight drain Manny??

Comment

Henry fought at numerous catchweights throughout his career. He defended his Welterweight title at contracted limits of 140 many times, to name just one of the many catchweight title fights Henry contested.

Oscar De La Hoya moved down to 147 to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. In fact, he fought Steve Forbes at 150 to prepare for the Floyd rematch, and to prepare his body for the shift down in weight. Floyd "retired" for a year and a half, and Manny stepped in, moved up 13 pounds and battered the Golden Boy. Revisionists make it out that Manny drained Oscar, when it was Floyd who had Oscar moving down in weight.
                Mayweather vs De La Hoya was at 154 for jr middleweight title
                Lew Jenkins, contested at 140 for the welterweight crown for starters.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1155009AAgUN14

It's on the front page of his Boxrec stats as well.

If you need more "proof" then that, the fact that both men weighed just a shade under 140 for the welterweight, I will dig for more proof. However, I think I've already proven conclusively that Hank fought title fights at catchweights.
                According to boxrec
                After appearing to win the first 3 rounds, Jenkins goes down 7 times
                Fight stopped before the start of the 7th round, but under New York rules is listed as a TKO in 6
                Welterweight title not at stake per agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
                  unless you started watching boxing lastyear, dlh was at 151 before his training camp even started for the pac fight.

and he called out pac for a WW fight. there was no catchweight.
                  Catchweight fights can also occur when fighters decide to meet at a weight class limit that is in between the two fighters normal weight classes. For example when Manny Pacquiao fought Oscar De La Hoya the fight took place at the 147lb weight class which is a welterweight fight. But the fighters used the weightclass as a catchweight since De La Hoya was fighting above 147 at the time and Pacquiao was fighting below 147. Like when Wanderlei Silva fought Rich Franklin at a catch weight bout of 195 pounds. Under Silva's weight class of 205 pounds and above Franklin's weight class of 185 pounds. Rich Franklin gained 10 pounds and Wanderlei Silva lost 10 pounds. They agreed on a catch weight bout.

So was Hopkins vs Pavlik a catch weight fight??

Comment

Lew Jenkins, contested at 140 for the welterweight crown for starters.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1155009AAgUN14

It's on the front page of his Boxrec stats as well.

If you need more "proof" then that, the fact that both men weighed just a shade under 140 for the welterweight, I will dig for more proof. However, I think I've already proven conclusively that Hank fought title fights at catchweights.

"Henry Armstrong TKO end of 6 Lew Jenkins -- Polo Grounds, N.Y., July 17, 1940

Welterweight champion Henry Armstrong was obliged to weigh in seven pounds under the division limit for his scheduled 12-rounder with lightweight champion Lew Jenkins. This was no problem for Armstrong, a featherweight champion who was small for a welterweight. Armstrong came in at 139 pounds, while Jenkins was just a half-pound over the lightweight limit of 135.

The fight held intrigue because Jenkins, from Sweetwater, Texas, was known to be a terrific hitter. New York Times columnist John Kieran was one of many who felt that Jenkins's big punch gave him a chance. "If he can land that punch on a dodging target like Armstrong he may do well for himself," Kieran opined in a prefight story.

Jenkins did indeed do damage. Joseph P. Dawson reported in The New York Times that Armstrong's left eye was swollen almost shut while his right eye "dripped a blinding flow of blood" after a desperation left hook opened an old cut. Armstrong was winning the fight, though. He took command from the fourth round and Jenkins was down seven times, unable to hold the stronger, superior fighter in Armstrong. Referee Arthur Donovan stopped the fight at the end of the sixth as Jenkins "writhed and groaned on his stool" in the words of reporter Dawson."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3238297
                    you owned yourself with this

Comment

Pacquiao has been compared by a lot of people to the great Henry Armstrong because of his similar successful rise through the weight divisions.

But Manny Pacquiao hasn't done it the same way as Armstrong did, because Henry was never afraid of being outweighed by several pounds by his rivals as he was going up in wieght. He was the much smaller fighter a lot of the times, and he still won.

I believe Pacquiao is a true warrior. So I really don't get why he is asking for catch-weights since he has moved up to the WW zone. Just look how he dominated all his recent opponents, does Pacquiao really need catch-weights ? **** no. He could be fighting his opponents at their full healthy natural fighting weight, and he would still beat them.

Cotto cut 2 pounds.

Homicide Hank 134 Ceferino Garcia 146½ for the World WW title
                      Homicide Hank 142 Ceferino Garcia 152 1/2 for the World MW title

Why tarnish the great run from 112 to 140 at the very end of a fighter's career ?
                      they are both in different era. different boxing situations.

form old to new evolution.

you cant take away greatness to Herny Armstrong.

the problem is pacquiao should never fight at 154/150.. he is too small for 147

why fight at 154? he fights for money too and we cant take it away from him.

coz floyd is not available this happens.. fight should happen in 150 but

no titles needed in 154.. it will tarnish his 145-147 title ahehehe.

Comment

Working...
                      X