whose competition was greater???...Cotto or floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lopetego View Post
    Cotto's ofc

you can criticize a lot of things about Kneeguel but at least he didn't make a career out of fighting shot hasbeens and tailor made no hopers, like Floydette did
    Cotto's level of competition was barbaric. Pac at the Apex of his prime, Margarito at the apex of his prime, Canelo at the apex of his prime, prime Floyd then Mosley just coming out of his prime, then up to middleweight to fight a legless Sergio.

Insane level of competition. All of Floyd's best wins except prime, and then guys that Floyd ducked too for good measure. It's not even a debate in my book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
      Cotto's level of competition was barbaric. Pac at the Apex of his prime, Margarito at the apex of his prime, Canelo at the apex of his prime, prime Floyd then Mosley just coming out of his prime, then up to middleweight to fight a legless Sergio.

Insane level of competition. All of Floyd's best wins except prime, and then guys that Floyd ducked too for good measure. It's not even a debate in my book.
      What years are you saying are Floyd's prime?

Comment

Mayweather wasn't in his prime. He was 35 years old. Martinez was 39 with a bad knee. You've got to give Cotto credit for the other guys though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
          What years are you saying are Floyd's prime?
          Same as B-Hop, Toney and other great defensive fighters(albeit chemically enhanced)- pretty much the entirety of their careers.

This is about Floyd vs Cotto in terms of the quality of their opposition, only a little bit about the length of Floyd's prime.

Comment

Same as B-Hop, Toney and other great defensive fighters(albeit chemically enhanced)- pretty much the entirety of their careers.

This is about Floyd vs Cotto in terms of the quality of their opposition, only a little bit about the length of Floyd's prime.
            So any defensive fighter is prime throughout their career?

Comment

• Floyd,,, Cotto close but not as deep

Cotto-

Zab
              Shane
              Margarito
              Manny
              Floyd
              Serg
              Canelo

Floyd-

Corrales
              Castillo
              Castillo
              Genaro
              Zab
              Oscar
              Hatton
              Shane
              Marquez
              Cotto
              Canelo
              Maidana
              Maidana
              Manny

You can throw in lesser fights for each guy

Cotto-

Maussa
              Pinto
              Bailey
              Corley
              Torres
              Paulie
              Mayorga
              Margarito 2
              Trout

Floyd-

Manfredy
              Famoso
              Chavez
              Corley
              N'dou
              Gatti
              Baldomir
              Ortiz
              Ghost

And floyd won all his fights, beat cotto, and has wins over guys that beat Cotto soundly

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
                So any defensive fighter is prime throughout their career?

The point was defensive fighter keep their prime's extended longer due to the style. Those 3 are prime examples.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Floyd,,, Cotto close but not as deep

Cotto-

Zab
                  Shane
                  Margarito
                  Manny
                  Floyd
                  Serg
                  Canelo

Floyd-

Corrales
                  Castillo
                  Castillo
                  Genaro
                  Zab
                  Oscar
                  Hatton
                  Shane
                  Marquez
                  Cotto
                  Canelo
                  Maidana
                  Maidana
                  Manny

You can throw in lesser fights for each guy

Cotto-

Maussa
                  Pinto
                  Bailey
                  Corley
                  Torres
                  Paulie
                  Mayorga
                  Margarito 2
                  Trout

Floyd-

Manfredy
                  Famoso
                  Chavez
                  Corley
                  N'dou
                  Gatti
                  Baldomir
                  Ortiz
                  Ghost

And floyd won all his fights, beat cotto, and has wins over guys that beat Cotto soundly
                  Cotto fought a prime Manny at the top of his game and fought a Canelo at the top of his game and a much better version of Shane. The level of Zab I think was about equal. I think it matters the timeframe you fight the guys, not just listing them just to list them.

Fighting Manny when he fought him trumps any level of opponent Floyd fought at the time they fought. I don't think its debateable - I don't know.

I just wish we could have watched a prime for prime Cotto vs Mayweather. I think we could have gotten a great trilogy between them. :/

Comment

• Floyd is the better fighter, I don't think that's a question but I know 1 thing, Cotto was never afraid to fight someone in their prime at the top of their game... Not sure same can be said about Mr Mayweather......

But who am I besides a distant observer, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                      Floyd is the better fighter, I don't think that's a question but I know 1 thing, Cotto was never afraid to fight someone in their prime at the top of their game... Not sure same can be said about Mr Mayweather......

But who am I besides a distant observer, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors....
                      He didn't want to fight Paul Williams who did want to fight Cotto.

Comment

Working...
                      X