Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jermain Taylor fit, ready for return to ring and Pat Burns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were rumour not long ago of him fighting Roy Jones. Was that just unfounded speculation or was there something to do it?

IMO, a good return matchup for him would be against someone like Peter Manfredo, who isn't much of a threat but has an OK name. That would be better than fighting a bum or fighting a dangerous opponent. After that I think Taylor would have a good chance against Steiglitz or Sartisson, both of whom have belts (whatever that's worth).

Comment

Stay retired

Comment

Unless he fights someone with no power he will get KTFO again.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          There were rumour not long ago of him fighting Roy Jones. Was that just unfounded speculation or was there something to do it?

IMO, a good return matchup for him would be against someone like Peter Manfredo, who isn't much of a threat but has an OK name. That would be better than fighting a bum or fighting a dangerous opponent. After that I think Taylor would have a good chance against Steiglitz or Sartisson, both of whom have belts (whatever that's worth).
          The Roy Jones rumors were completely unfounded. BPP said he spoke to someone in Jones' camp and there was no truth to them.

Manfredo quickly dropped down to MW after being obliterated by Sakio Bika, saying he was too small for 168 lbs. But for a decent payday I'm sure they could tempt him back up to SMW.

Jesse Brinkley is out there as well, but is first in line for a shot at Bute's title. If that fight can't get made for some reason, I think he would definitely jump at the chance to fight Taylor on Showtime. Brinkley is a ****er who makes Carl Froch look like Floyd Mayweather and is probably Taylor's best bet to land a winnable fight against a top 10 opponent (Brinkley is ranked by the WBO, WBC, and IBF).

Comment

Must be difficult for Taylor to mentaly recover from his past few fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros? View Post
              Taylor vs. Ward or Dirrell would be cool.

At least he wouldn't get KTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros? View Post
                Honestly I would say it's going to be impossible for a full mental recovery. Him beating a top level fighter at SMW is a real longshot at this point.

Comment

Zuniga, Brinkley, Miranda, or Steiglitz would be good comeback fights.

Comment

Back with Burns? I'm not sure it will be all that helpful now, but it's worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by IIG View Post
                      Back with Burns? I'm not sure it will be all that helpful now, but it's worth a try.
                      It definitely can't hurt. What he's been doing obviously isn't working.

I thought he should've gone back with Burns the second he dropped Manny Steward. Nelson wasn't having it though.

Comment

Working...
                      X