Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With 140 heating up, Bradley decides to leave the division...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the fussing?

^ true Bradley is staying active, and I don't see what the big fuss is about. T-Brad is making his HBO debut, and with Alexander, Khan, Paulie all being with HBO makes getting a fight vs another champ that much easier (even Maidana fights on HBO as well right)

Originally posted by M@nny View Post
    A fight vs Abregu is pretty damn worthless and a waste of time if you ask me. He should defend his strap at 140 vs a ranked WBO guy and push for one of the winners when the Khan, Ortiz, Maidana, Alexander dust settles. **** a fight vs Urango or Bailey would be more interesting than Abregu at 147.
    #1. Okay you can criticize the fight vs Abregu, but don't bring up Bailey or Urango and act like those wouldn't be even more worthless ... considering Alexander beat Urango for his title a couple weeks ago, what does Bradley gain by fighting Urango after Devon?

Abregu might be an undefeated unknown .. but at least he isn't coming off a KO loss.

#2. are there any worthwhile WBO contenders for Bradley to fight? I though he just beat his WBO mandatory Lamont Peterson in December

as it sits now though Bradley can just wait out the others at 140 .. and it doesn't hurt that he's fighting on HBO in the meantime

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    Neither Khan or Alexander have any interest in fighting him so he is testing the waters at 147. Should a big fight surface at 140, I am sure he'll be there.
    wasn't it Bradley who dropped his title (forced by WBC) instead of fighting Alexander. so that's a pretty bold thing to say its Alexander who doesn't want to fight Bradley.

as it sat though, I believe at the time Alexander was Bradley's WBC mandatory I recall reading somewhere that a big network (HBO, Showtime) didn't want to pick up a Bradley-Alexander WBC title fight

I think it was for the best that they didn't meet then. if they both keep winning, it'll hopefully only be a matter of time before we see Alexander-Bradley

Comment

He's probably just positioning himself for the WW PPV money. There's not really a PPV draw at 140.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ406 View Post
        ^ true Bradley is staying active, and I don't see what the big fuss is about. T-Brad is making his HBO debut, and with Alexander, Khan, Paulie all being with HBO makes getting a fight vs another champ that much easier (even Maidana fights on HBO as well right)

#1. Okay you can criticize the fight vs Abregu, but don't bring up Bailey or Urango and act like those wouldn't be even more worthless ... considering Alexander beat Urango for his title a couple weeks ago, what does Bradley gain by fighting Urango after Devon?

Abregu might be an undefeated unknown .. but at least he isn't coming off a KO loss.

#2. are there any worthwhile WBO contenders for Bradley to fight? I though he just beat his WBO mandatory Lamont Peterson in December

as it sits now though Bradley can just wait out the others at 140 .. and it doesn't hurt that he's fighting on HBO in the meantime

wasn't it Bradley who dropped his title (forced by WBC) instead of fighting Alexander. so that's a pretty bold thing to say its Alexander who doesn't want to fight Bradley.

as it sat though, I believe at the time Alexander was Bradley's WBC mandatory I recall reading somewhere that a big network (HBO, Showtime) didn't want to pick up a Bradley-Alexander WBC title fight

I think it was for the best that they didn't meet then. if they both keep winning, it'll hopefully only be a matter of time before we see Alexander-Bradley
        By Jim Dower: The World Boxing Council has stripped unbeaten WBC light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (24-0, 11 KOs) for reportedly not facing his WBC number #1 ranked challenger Devon Alexander. However, Bradley, 25, sent in an e-mail earlier today to the WBC, telling them that he’s vacating the WBC title because the WBC was telling him to choose between keeping either the WBC or WBO light welterweight titles. It seemed like an easy choice for Bradley to make.

The number #1 and #2 challengers in the WBO are Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton, whereas the number #1 and #2 challengers for the WBC are Devon Alexander and Junior Witter. With those kinds of fighters just below him, which belt would you choose to keep?

There’s no point in keeping the WBC, because the money that Bradley would make in fighting Alexander is nothing compared to the kind of cash he would get in facing either Pacquiao or Hatton. Even if Hatton and Pacquiao never do decide to fight Bradley, he’s still better off keeping the WBO title because the number #3 challenger is Victor Ortiz, a fighter that is easily more popular than either Alexander or Witter.

Bradley has already beaten Witter by a 12-round split decision last year in May 2008, and Alexander wouldn’t be an interesting opponent due to his nonexistent power and his dull manner of fighting. Bradley would likely beat both Witter and Alexander, yet receive only a fraction of the money he’ll get if he can get Hatton or Pacquiao in the ring with him.

With the WBC title now free and up for grabs, Bradley and Alexander will now fight it out for the vacant title. Both fighters are talented but badly flawed, so it’s hard to pick a winner of the two. Alexander fights poorly at a distance and seems to be at his best on the inside.

However, he has no power and has fought mediocre opposition up to this point in his early career. For his part, Witter, 35, has the better overall skill by far. However, he’s starting to show his age in the past couple of fights and doesn’t move or punch as fast as he used to.

If this fight were to have taken place three years ago, I’d have picked Witter by a lopsided 12 round decision. But, now that he’s a little bit older, slower and more of a stationary target, I think he’ll struggle to beat Alexander.

I still think he’ll have too many skills for Alexander, but it will be a close victory with Witter tiring out in the 2nd half of the fight. I can’t see either fighter holding onto the title for long, because fighters like Nate Campbell and Randall Bailey are looming in the background and I see both of them as better fighters than Alexander and Witter.

I think Witter might be better off if he focuses his energy on the local British boxing scene where he can probably extend his career for another five years beating the mostly soft opposition there.

http://www.************.com/2009/04/...tes-wbc-title/

Comment

^that's one of the issues I have with 140

we have some good fights on the horizon in the already mentioned
          Khan-Paulie
          and
          Campbell-Ortiz

but outside of the three Alphabet champions (Bradley, Devon and Khan)

and maybe a couple other names. Junior Welter doesn't really have a lot of big time names or PPV draws which is exactly what KittenFlaps is saying.

**a lot of people on ******** were refering to the 140 weight class as stacked .. I dunno about you guys but outside of maybe 3-4 fights, I just don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ406 View Post
            ^that's one of the issues I have with 140

we have some good fights on the horizon in the already mentioned
            Khan-Paulie
            and
            Campbell-Ortiz

but outside of the three Alphabet champions (Bradley, Devon and Khan)

and maybe a couple other names. Junior Welter doesn't really have a lot of big time names or PPV draws which is exactly what KittenFlaps is saying.

**a lot of people on ******** were refering to the 140 weight class as stacked .. I dunno about you guys but outside of maybe 3-4 fights, I just don't see it.
            Well before the Urango KO he was in the mix as was Juan Diaz before losing to Malignaggi. You also had rumors of (and still do) of a Hatton comeback and talk about Marquez fighting at 140 so you have/had:

Marquez
            Hatton
            Bradley
            Alexander
            Urango
            Khan
            Maidana
            Malignaggi
            Ortiz
            Diaz
            Rumors of Valero

Granted, like you said there's not alot of superstar recognition like there is at welterweight but there are some really good fights to be made here.

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
              By Jim Dower: The World Boxing Council has stripped unbeaten WBC light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (24-0, 11 KOs) for reportedly not facing his WBC number #1 ranked challenger Devon Alexander. However, Bradley, 25, sent in an e-mail earlier today to the WBC, telling them that he’s vacating the WBC title because the WBC was telling him to choose between keeping either the WBC or WBO light welterweight titles. It seemed like an easy choice for Bradley to make.

There’s no point in keeping the WBC, because the money that Bradley would make in fighting Alexander is nothing compared to the kind of cash he would get in facing either Pacquiao or Hatton. Even if Hatton and Pacquiao never do decide to fight Bradley, he’s still better off keeping the WBO title because the number #3 challenger is Victor Ortiz, a fighter that is easily more popular than either Alexander or Witter.

Bradley has already beaten Witter by a 12-round split decision last year in May 2008, and Alexander wouldn’t be an interesting opponent due to his nonexistent power and his dull manner of fighting. Bradley would likely beat both Witter and Alexander, yet receive only a fraction of the money he’ll get if he can get Hatton or Pacquiao in the ring with him.

With the WBC title now free and up for grabs, Bradley and Alexander will now fight it out for the vacant title. Both fighters are talented but badly flawed, so it’s hard to pick a winner of the two. Alexander fights poorly at a distance and seems to be at his best on the inside.

think he’ll have too many skills for Alexander, but it will be a close victory with Witter tiring out in the 2nd half of the fight. I can’t see either fighter holding onto the title for long, because fighters like Nate Campbell and Randall Bailey are looming in the background and I see both of them as better fighters than Alexander and Witter.

http://www.************.com/2009/04/...tes-wbc-title/
              okay you pretty much regurgitated what I already said, just with a source and in a much longer version.

**this writer seems to have a bias against Alexander, or at least he's underrating him severely

what im trying to get at is why would anything say it's Devon who doesn't want to fight Bradley .. when T-Brad was the one who vacated his WBC belt to not fight him (Alexander)

of course the WBC made him choose which title to keep (way old news), and Bradley stuck with the WBO and a defense on Showtime vs Campbell

**but if the situation was reversed and Alexander had Bradley as a mandatory, yet vacated his title to fight someone else for money would people look at it in the same regard?

its more a business decision then anything

Comment

Bradley's decision to vacate the WBC was vindicated by the fact he got a match (which should have been given as a win) against Nate Campbell, who was ten-fold a bigger name than Alexander was. Alexander has only become a name in the division since beating Witter and Urango. We should be glad Bradley vacated and didn't fight Devon last year because that fight is now 10x bigger than it would have been and when it does happen, with Devon being IBF and WBC champ and Bradley being WBO there will be a lot more at stake.

Comment

A fight vs Abregu is pretty damn worthless and a waste of time if you ask me. 140 is HOT right now and Tim is one of the top guys in that division. He should defend his strap at 140 vs a ranked WBO guy and push for one of the winners when the Khan, Ortiz, Maidana, Alexander dust settles. **** a fight vs Urango or Bailey would be more interesting than Abregu at 147.
                  I totally agree with this Puas. Bradley fighting Abregu is a disaster wating to happend too. Abregu can hit too, he have power on his side and strength.

I mean WTF? Just fight Kotelnik, or a decent 140 pounder while the big dogs finish their bussines!

Comment

I think he's trying to get into the 147 money mix as quickly as possible to try and make himself a viable opponent for Pacquiao or Mayweather after they fight each other and Mosley (if the 3 have fights amongst each other) before one of them retires.

There is a lot of money to be made there and he probably feels that its a better option to see how he can do at 147 as opposed to fighting a tune up at 140 where he knows what he's capable of.

Comment

To fight unknown, but undefeated Luis Abregu (29-0-23 KOs) at 147. WTF, lots of great possible fights for Bradley at 140 now and he moves up to fight some nobody?

Oh well, at least we'll see Khan vs Malignaggi, Ortiz vs Campbell and hopefully Maidana vs Alexander. A Bradley vs Fat Ass Guzman would round things out nicely at 140 (pun intended).

Can someone explain to me why Timmy is moving out of the star studded Jr Welterweight division? We all know little Timmy is not a Welterweight.
                      notice no one was jumping up to fight timmy,

everyone had dates with each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X