No announcement yet.

UFC's Frank Mir: "If not for their 2 or 3 superstars, Boxing would be DEAD"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC's Frank Mir: "If not for their 2 or 3 superstars, Boxing would be DEAD"

Mir said boxing's decline has forced the sport to put together substandard match-ups because there are few bankable stars in its divisions.

"They're trying to move guys into different weight classes to make superfights," he said. "There's really no weight division that has anything going on in it. If you look at boxing as far as (the) mainstream, I think you're hard pressed now to even ask people who's in the heavyweight division in boxing, which has always been one of the premier weight classes for the sport of boxing.

"Right now, if it wasn't for the two or three superstars that they have in their sport willing to fight each other even through they're not in the same weight class I don't think you'd have any boxing matches going on whatsoever."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...alk_fan_apathy
    Yes
    12.59%
    No
    80.74%
    Maybe
    6.67%

He may have a point.

Comment

That may be all he knows...

I watch boxing for the love of the sport, so I don't need to see a superstar boxer to see a good match...

Comment

If you took 2 or 3 super fighters away they would be replaced by 2 or 3 other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          If you took 2 or 3 super fighters away they would be replaced by 2 or 3 other guys.
          oh really? i didn't know you can easily replace pacquiao or mayweather in the eyes of the casual fans.

Comment

Yeah, and if it wasn't for the ref stopping your fight with Lesnar, you'd be dead.

Comment

He needs to mention and say boxing Coz his career is in the downward spiral.
              Nobody is interested in him in the UFC.

Comment

Go talk about UFC's struggles as of late...

UFC 100 1,600,000 + 245%
                UFC 101 850,000 + 29%
                UFC 102 435,000 -30%
                UFC 103 375,000 -40%
                UFC 104 500,000 -20%
                UFC 106 375,000 -40%
                UFC 107 620,000 +/- 0
                UFC 108 300,000 -51%
                UFC 109 275,000 -55%
                UFC 110 240,000 -62%

Comment

Originally posted by Killa Killa View Post
                  That may be all he knows...

I watch boxing for the love of the sport, so I don't need to see a superstar boxer to see a good match...
                  exactly.

boxing already fell of as far as mainstream fans go, its not like it can get alot worse. in fact if manny and floyd both retired right now and all these fake fans left it might attract some legit former fans back to the sport.

boxing would make a decline as far as mainstream appeal goes but it wouldnt die, there are still true boxing fans who will watch a good fight regardless of weather the guy is a star or not.

the ppl who only tune in to the super fights.. **** em. boxing still has alot of real fans, something mma lacks since its barely a real sport.

Comment

Originally posted by chicano79us View Post
                    He may have a point.
                    Really?

So the sport died when the biggest cash cow of all time retired?

The next 2-3 best fighters will replace Manny and Floyd. Boxing will never die.

Comment

Working...
                    X