Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC's Frank Mir: "If not for their 2 or 3 superstars, Boxing would be DEAD"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at least boxing isnt fixed. and in the UFC they all took a drug test and none of them failed......... yer right.
    Last edited by maverickuk2; 03-19-2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

some truth to it. and now that the 2 superstars might not fight at all is a scary thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SuckaPunch View Post
        oh really? i didn't know you can easily replace pacquiao or mayweather in the eyes of the casual fans.
        Actually, in several ways you can. Not skill or in terms of how many times they pull thru, but you could.

If you took those two out, the same amount of hardcore fans would still be around.

They'd hype up two or three other guys, and they'd keep paying for them, to get the big fights and what have you. And casual fans would be drawn in to see what the fuss is all about.

It happens all the time. Before De la Hoya left, Pacquiao, Trinidad, Hopkins, Mayweather came around. Some stuck around. Hopkins is leaving, Trinidad left, and the last two stuck around. As they leave, guys like Dawson, Bradley, Khan, Valero, Alvarez, Super 6 winner are getting the chances. Some will make it, most wont. It happens all the time.

Comment

The same can be said for MMA

I don't even know who sells PPV well there, but without that WWE guy, St Piere and a few names, they would struggle too

You can tell I don't know much about MMA lol

Comment

Originally posted by SuckaPunch View Post
            oh really? i didn't know you can easily replace pacquiao or mayweather in the eyes of the casual fans.
            It wouldn't happen overnight but someone would take the top spot and become a star.

Comment

Originally posted by California Love View Post
              Really?

So the sport died when the biggest cash cow of all time retired?

The next 2-3 best fighters will replace Manny and Floyd. Boxing will never die.
              Next year who will be boxing's biggest stars?? Who will replace Pac/Mayweather?? Oh yea.....other than them 2. Who is making noise to the casual fans?? mmmm

I know in the world boxing will always be big. In the U.S. however, it doesn't look too good like you people make it out to be.

Comment

He has a point but you could also say this about the ufc.

Comment

Boxing can never really die, yeah it may not have the mainstream appeal it once had but times change that's how it is, the real fans stay. No one can really say where the sport will be in ten or fifty years, maybe better maybe worse off but it will never go away, not as long as people love doing it and fans love watching it. There is much talk about boxing dying, boxing coming back, who cares, boxing is.

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
                    The same can be said for MMA

I don't even know who sells PPV well there, but without that WWE guy, St Piere and a few names, they would struggle too

You can tell I don't know much about MMA lol

Thats crazy that for someone who doesnt know mma very well, that you know St Pierre, weird.

Anyway, Mir's opinion is biased. If Mir were in boxing he would say MMA will go down. If Floyd Mayweather were in the ufc he would say the cage is the new hit thing and boxing lost its flare. No creature (human or otherwise) would dedicate their life to something, then say their sport is boring to watch and would disappear without a few key people. Its just him trying to make himself feel better, thats all, dont take it for more than it is.

Personally, I love MMA, but it is not boxing. Also, I really love boxing, but it is not MMA. There are enough followers for both sports, neither of them will go away. Sure, it might stop being televised, or worth all this money, or whatever, but you will always have people that want to watch both or either.

Comment

He's just hating because he's one of the top guys in his sport and he makes less money per year than 2nd tier boxers.

Comment

Working...
                      X