Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to put an end to the "Manny put Cotto at a disadvantage with the weight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CatchweightKing View Post
    I've said various times I don't care about the catchweight. You won't find one post of mine saying it will affect any fighter. I'm just loving the fact that all the floyd stans have to eat crow or change their stance.
    Ok then that's cool, I would take you on your word and take you out of the equation but I have seen loads of posters alone in this thread who are flip floppers on both sides... disgusting.

Comment

• I never felt Manny got an edge by fighting Cotto at 145lb..Cotto came in at 146lb in his fight right before to show he can make the weight comfortably..Alvarez will be alright,Cotto was just fine as well..Cotto just could not handle Pac's style,plan and simple..

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Cotto has come to the ring at 164 lbs in the past and around the time of the Pacquaio fight so that would be near enough 20 lbs of rehydration, same as Canelo (154 to 172)

And regardless to reyhydration, if both Canelo and Cotto can shread the extra weight, which is less than 2 lbs, comfortabley then both fights are pretty much exactly the same in regards to the weight.

Difficult to support one and not the other.

i must've missed that.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Cotto has come to the ring at 164 lbs in the past and around the time of the Pacquaio fight so that would be near enough 20 lbs of rehydration, same as Canelo (154 to 172)

And regardless to reyhydration, if both Canelo and Cotto can shread the extra weight, which is less than 2 lbs, comfortabley then both fights are pretty much exactly the same in regards to the weight.

Difficult to support one and not the other.
          Here's how one might start. Pac was moving up to welter (7th division, 10 above his starting), after being at 130 18 months earlier. Floyd is the WBA Super champ at in his 5th division at 154, 2x champ rated #1 by everybody. A champ should never have to request the CW in the division he's holding the belt in. Does this mean that you can only contest for the lineal belt at 152 as long as Floyd is holding it?

Here's another obvious angle: Floyd has repeatedly condemned other guys in the past for doing it, Pac never did afaik. So if you hold them to their word, there is a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
            Here's how one might start. Pac was moving up to welter (7th division, 10 above his starting), after being at 130 18 months earlier. Floyd is the WBA Super champ at in his 5th division at 154, 2x champ rated #1 by everybody. A champ should never have to request the CW in the division he's holding the belt in. Does this mean that you can only contest for the lineal belt at 152 as long as Floyd is holding it?

Here's another obvious angle: Floyd has repeatedly condemned other guys in the past for doing it, Pac never did afaik. So if you hold them to their word, there is a difference.
            Where is the glory in trying to limit fighters though?

There is a reason fights where fighters that look for clear advantages and attempts at disadvantaging opponents gets frowned upon.

Pac deserves criticism for the catchweight crap just like Mayweather

Comment

• Originally posted by brick wall View Post
              i must've missed that.
              Had a quick search, couldn't find an unofficial weight, closest I could find was 159 lbs in 2007 against Urkal which I think was his first fight at 147.

I know he's said in an interview he's been north of 160 on fight night before though.

Comment

• Originally posted by CatchweightKing View Post
                If you don't think cutting weight takes an effect on you mentally or physicaly than you have no clue. While Canelo is working extremely hard to make weight, Money is enjoying himself laughing while making it rain with friends and beating family. Who's gonna be at there best come fight night?
                What does this have to do with Floyd and Canelo? Your opening post doesnt mention any of them. Your talking about Cotto and Manny and 1 pound not making a difference yet i provided you with a link from the horses mouth himself saying it was indeed a factor. Nice try though.

Comment

If Mayweather and Pacquaio turned pro at the same age, it would be Mayweather's 10th division above his starting also.

I don't see what relevance the fact he's a Champion has to with Canelo being able to make 152.

If Pacquaio-De La Hoya was for a Vacant Paper title at 147 would that somehow make Pacquaio-Cotto less legit?

I understand the notion of the belts being on the line being silly. I can agree with that. I'd rather the belts not be on the line. But the belts are only there for promotion anyway.

In regards to Mayweather's comments on the catchweight, I again fail to see what relevance that has to Canelo and his ability to make the weight.

If Pacquaio said he was opposed to catchweight's would that again make the Cotto fight less legit?

In regards to the fight's legitimacy, which at the end of the day is what is important, it is very difficult to support one and not the other.

Comment

So what's the problem, Floyd doesn't sing karaoke?
                    What does this thread or my post have to do with Floyd?
                    Last edited by Lords; 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by thoughtsss View Post
                      What does this have to do with Floyd and Canelo? Your opening post doesnt mention any of them. Your talking about Cotto and Manny and 1 pound not making a difference yet i provided you with a link from the horses mouth himself saying it was indeed a factor. Nice try though.
                      Cotto himself said no issues with the weight, pre and post fight. It's not until years later that he started complaining about it. I guess he forgot about the grueling marathon he ran for 6 rounds to escape the crazed midget. If he did all that running drained, hats off, but he's missed his calling. He shoulda gone into steeplechase.

Comment

Working...
                      X