Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to put an end to the "Manny put Cotto at a disadvantage with the weight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    Hey no argument, it only became a legit belt (as legit as a trinket can be) after beating top 5 ranked Clottey and Mosley at the full weight.

Agree, Cotto shouldn't have to drop down to 147, and Pac shouldn't have to go above his 7th, like he said after Marg. But since Cotto shamed Pac into offering 150, it's a little unseemly for Cotto to be using the drain excuse to pass on the fight.
    Again, Cotto couldnt make 147 anymore which is what Pac wouldnt budge on. Why would he fight Pac at 150 or 147 when he could fight Mayweather at the full limit for more money? Makes zero sense.

Ill take Cotto's word over some poster's assumptions.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      No, Arreola wouldn't.

My point being, Mayweather and Pacquaio are around the same size, Mayweather being the slightly bigger.

Mayweather and Pacquaio at the same age were around the same size. The only difference is Pacquaio turned pro much younger. If Mayweather had turned pro at the same age as Pacquaio, he'd be fighting 10 divisions above his starting weight also.

The champion isn't expected to. There's been plenty of case were Title fights have met in the middle for fights.

I disagree on it being less legit. Whether Pacquaio had a belt or not, what difference does that make to the actual fight and how Cotto would perform? Doesn't make a single difference.

The belts are there but all that matters is the fight.

Mayweather's a small Jr MW fighting his first legit Jr MW fighter. They've met in the middle where both believe will be comfortable.

It's happened many times before and certainly won't be the last.
      i don't think there've been plenty of cases where the champ requested a CW when unifying/defending his belt. I know of DLH Hopkins, but DLH was a joke of a MW champ. I know of Cotto Marg 2 and I've been ragging on it for a while, cause it's wrong on so many levels.

And if you think about it, it's no surprise these are rare. Most every CW has a guy coming up in weight asking for one. He's testing his limits: he can lose to the bigger guy, win and then legitimize his belt in the future, or win, go down in weight and have a vanity paper belt in one division up. Sometimes even paper is a pretty good accomplishment, like RJJ Ruiz. If you're already champ at the weight, it's understood you can handle it.

Comment

• EXCLUSIVE: PHILBOXING CHATS WITH WBO PRESIDENT VALCARCEL REGARDING PACQUIAO-COTTO TITLE FIGHT

By Dr. Allan Recto
        PhilBoxing.com
        Tue, 28 Jul 2009

Francisco 'Paco' Valcarcel

Laredo, Texas (July 27, 2009) – On the way (driving) to the office this morning, this boxing writer (ringside physician) had a chat with highly respected WBO President, Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, regarding the upcoming Pacquiao – Cotto fight in November 14, 2009 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. For my contribution to the Philippine boxing community, I tried to convince Team (Manny) Pacquiao to make this fight a title fight for the WBO World Championship Welterweight Crown of Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto. If it will be of interest to the readers of philboxing.com, here is my conversation today with current WBO President Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel:

Dr. Recto – Hello, Good morning Sir!

WBO President Valcarcel– Hey Doc, it’s Paco, How have you been?

Dr. Recto – Good, how are you?

WBO President Valcarcel – I’m fine, Doctor. I received your text message, what’s the name of the lawyer of Manny Pacquiao? I couldn’t read it well.

Dr. Recto – His name is Atty. Jeng Gacal, Sir.

WBO President Valcarcel – Okay…

Dr. Recto – Well, Atty. Jeng Gacal told me that Manny is not happy if this is not a title fight and he (Manny) wants it to be a title fight.

WBO President Valcarcel – OK, perfect!

Dr. Recto – They did not know how to contact you so I gave Atty. Gacal your phone number so he could call you up. It is already very late at night in the Philippines so he might call you tomorrow.

WBO President Valcarcel – Good. Let him know that I could call him tomorrow too or tonight. How many hours ahead is the Philippines?

Dr. Recto – Since you are in Puerto Rico, the time should be like in New York…they are ahead by 12 hours but it is the opposite, it’s night time over there.

WBO President Valcarcel – We have the same time in New York, it’s Eastern Standard Time.

Dr. Recto – How much is the sanction fee for the Team Pacquiao?

WBO President Valcarcel – The total amount is going to be $ 150,000 for Manny. Bob Arum told me before that he was willing to pay the whole amount … for everybody.

Dr. Recto – So, what does Manny Pacquiao have to do to make this fight with Miguel Cotto a WBO welterweight championship title fight?

WBO President Valcarcel – Manny has to write the WBO a letter of request. Then he talks to Bob Arum and Bob will inform me. Arum is willing to do it, you know. Now after that, we can push Miguel Cotto to do it. I talked to Arum before in New York and he wants to do it. I will talk to Arum again and we will tell Cotto to do it.

Dr. Recto – What about the statement of Bob Arum recently – “No one cares in the U.S. about the belt!” – did you read it?

WBO President Valcarcel – Who said that?

Dr. Recto – Bob Arum was quoted by boxing writer Michael Marley and the article was posted in philboxing.com last Friday. It came as a surprise to me.

WBO President Valcarcel – Bob Arum sometimes say some things that he doesn’t really mean…he is now in his 70’s…if Manny forces him to do it, he will do it…if Manny tells him, “I want to fight for the title!” – he will force Miguel Cotto to do it. We can both pressure Miguel Cotto to do it.

Dr. Recto – What happens if Miguel Cotto doesn’t want to put the belt on the line? Can you do something about it?

WBO President Valcarcel – Let Manny fight for the title and if he wins, he will get the title as WBO Welterweight Champion of the World.

Dr. Recto – Can you tell us the significance of the WBO title?

WBO President Valcarcel – It is quite important…but first, Bob Arum and me should talk, okay… Before, he said he was waiting for Miguel Cotto and Manny Pacquiao to sign the contracts then we will proceed.

Dr. Recto – There is a clamor in the boxing world that this should be a title fight…not only in the Philippines but also all over the world.

WBO President Valcarcel – And it will be a title fight!…De La Hoya now got six titles in different divisions…and Manny will have seven if he wins against Cotto…

Dr. Recto – Sir, do you remember that fight of Oscar De La Hoya and Bernard Hopkins? Hopkins fought De La Hoya for the undisputed middleweight championship on September 18, 2004, in Las Vegas. The fight was done at a catch weight of 158 lbs, two pounds below the limit of 160 lbs for middleweight division.

WBO President Valcarcel – Yes, I remember that fight. It was also for a WBO Middleweight Division title even though it was a catch weight bout. They fought for a title, yeah, I was there!

Dr. Recto – So, it means that there is a precedent…. even though the fight of Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto is at a catch weight of 145 lbs., it still belongs to the welterweight division, right? He (Manny) can still challenge for Miguel Cotto’s WBO Welterweight championship belt?

WBO President Valcarcel – That’s right!

Dr. Recto – Sir, is it okay if I write up our phone conversation and send it to PHILBOXING.COM?

WBO President Valcarcel – Yeah…yeah…that’s no problem…you’ve been a big help and I thank you for that!

Dr. Recto - Thank you also Sir and have a nice day! Oh by the way, is Rodel Mayol fighting Ivan Calderon in a re-match?

WBO President Valcarcel – Yes, it is being arranged…maybe, in September…When you are in Puerto Rico in September 12, let me know of Manny’s (Team Pacquiao) itinerary ‘cause I’d like to invite you all … for a meal or something.

Dr. Recto - Okay, I will let Manny and Team Pacquiao know…Bye!

Like the millions of Filipinos and other boxing fans/ aficionados worldwide, I will watch this fight LIVE. It will be shown on HBO PPV and promoted by Top Rank. Tickets will be on Sale in August and press conferences are scheduled for September 2009 in Los Angeles, New York and Puerto Rico. It will be a major event in boxing history especially if this were a title fight…. after all, how many times in boxing events has it happened that one of the protagonist (a Filipino fighter) will be vying for a Seventh title in Seven different divisions and a great World Champion (from Puerto Rico) will have the honor to defend his title?

I am very positive, whatever the outcome will be, both fighters will be remembered for these honors (you bet, no matter who the winner will be)…of course, in this kind of super fight, the boxing fans and media will be the winners too!

Follow up punches: After my conversation this morning, I made a follow up call to WBO President Valcarcel after lunch and he informed me that he had spoken with Atty. Jeng Gacal (Team Pacquiao lawyer).... and they were going to call Top Rank Promoter Bob Arum. A Team Pacquiao insider stated - All that Manny has to do is call Bob Arum and say, "Hey Bob, I want this to be a title fight...tapos ang boxing! (Translation – it will be a done deal!)"
        Source: http://philboxing.com/news/story-26053.html

This along with comments of Team Pac's trainner Roach being quoted saying that:

"Cotto would be fined 1 Million for each lb over 145 and if he is one gram over 147 we will not fight him".

Source 2: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/11...-weight-issues

According to the fight contract, the Puerto Rican will be fined $1 million for every pound in excess of 145 lbs., The Philippine Star reported. Moreover, if Cotto goes a fraction beyond 147 lbs., Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, reportedly said he would call off the bout.
        It was a conspiracy on Cotto! From the *** WBO President, the Devil Bob and the mental games that Roach played and all others.

What a joke! Rehydration clause! Fugg the haters!

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Boxer View Post
          Source: http://philboxing.com/news/story-26053.html

This along with comments of Team Pac's trainner Roach being quoted saying that:

Source 2: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/11...-weight-issues

It was a conspiracy on Cotto! From the *** WBO President, the Devil Bob and the mental games that Roach played and all others.

What a joke! Rehydration clause! Fugg the haters!
          Dude he'd be fined that much for every lb over 145 at the official weighin, you can't be this dumb?? You cannot sanction a 0lb rehydration fight in the US, in the UK, probably not even in PR.

Comment

• Miguel Cotto didn't have a problem with 145, it was the fact that his title was on the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by bravestone View Post
              Again, Cotto couldnt make 147 anymore which is what Pac wouldnt budge on. Why would he fight Pac at 150 or 147 when he could fight Mayweather at the full limit for more money? Makes zero sense.

Ill take Cotto's word over some poster's assumptions.
              http://www.fighthype.com/pages/conte...73bfaa33ae9581
              MIGUEL COTTO: "I TAKE NOTHING AWAY FROM MANNY...HE IS FAST AND STRONGER THAN WE THOUGHT"
              By Percy Crawford | December 24, 2009
              "I take nothing away from Manny. We both made a great fight...He is fast and stronger than we thought he would be...He is fast and stronger than we thought he would be," stated former welterweight champion Miguel Cotto as he talked about his loss to Manny Pacquiao, his future plans and more.

PC: How are you doing Miguel?

MC: I'm doing pretty good, enjoying the holiday season.

PC: Now that you have had time to reflect on the Pacquiao fight, where do you feel you went wrong?

MC: Well, some details did not came out the way we wanted, but I take nothing away from Manny. We both made a great fight.

PC: Was coming down to 145 tougher than you thought it would be since you hadn't weighed 145 or less since 2006?

MC: I felt really good at that weight. It wasn't a problem for me.

PC: We all know Manny has a ton of speed, but was he a bigger puncher than you thought he would be?

MC: He is fast and stronger than we thought he would be.

PC: A lot of people felt that your corner should have stopped the fight. Was that not an option for you?

MC: No, I didn't want the fight stopped. I was feeling good.

Comment

• Originally posted by thoughtsss View Post
                What does this have to do with Floyd and Canelo? Your opening post doesnt mention any of them. Your talking about Cotto and Manny and 1 pound not making a difference yet i provided you with a link from the horses mouth himself saying it was indeed a factor. Nice try though.
                PC: Was coming down to 145 tougher than you thought it would be since you hadn't weighed 145 or less since 2006?

MC: I felt really good at that weight. It wasn't a problem for me.

Comment

• pacroid needs steroids and to drain a already old fighter who struggle to make the actual limit for that weigh lmao,,plankiao knows he cant beat cotto without a catchweigh why u think for the rematch he wanted yet another one?????FOH,all u nerds cry about floyd calling pacroid on being a hypocrit need to stfu cause they are nothing alike.Manny drained an old fighter who alredy was ready to move up to JMW,while floyd was OFFERED a catchweigh by canelo and he took it. cotto aint never offered a catchweigh for pacroid.152 is only 2 pounds and when plankiao fought cotto he fight him at 145 when cotto was already trying to moveup in weight,,Cotto was 9 pounds drained

Comment

• Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
                    pacroid needs steroids and to drain a already old fighter who struggle to make the actual limit for that weigh lmao,,plankiao knows he cant beat cotto without a catchweigh why u think for the rematch he wanted yet another one?????FOH,all u nerds cry about floyd calling pacroid on being a hypocrit need to stfu cause they are nothing alike.Manny drained an old fighter who alredy was ready to move up to JMW,while floyd was OFFERED a catchweigh by canelo and he took it. cotto aint never offered a catchweigh for pacroid.152 is only 2 pounds and when plankiao fought cotto he fight him at 145 when cotto was already trying to moveup in weight,,Cotto was 9 pounds drained
                    You really shouldnt be sporting that avatar and calling anyone anyroid. That's the only novelty, the rest is recycled. If it's meant as a joke, my mistake, it's kinda funny

Comment

• Wow just wow

Comment

Working...
                      X