No announcement yet.

Top 10 global stars right now.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broxi51 View Post
    where is hatton on your list, you really have not thought this through, i am not a fan but he should be 3 at least on the list. everyone knows who hatton is. is you don't even know the top 3 well.
    That's true. I should have Hatton on my list. I also mentioned that in an earlier post.

I'll edit the TS.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      Well Bernard is still very well known and he would probably command the biggest purse and draw the biggest crowd of any fighter from middleweight to cruiserweight.

Mw and Cruiser is not stacked with big names though, as people have said no Hatton/Haye on your list etc, borenard is a terrible draw and would never get 1mill ppv viewers for a fight as the main draw in his homeland unlike Haye just did.

But anyway he fails in 2 out of the 4 criteria imo

I just saw Cotto at number 3?? he has never done big PPV numbers/purses etc this saturday will be the first.

Comment

It's gonna be a different list according to each country you examine. I will say that I think Mayweather generates the largest amount of revenue right now.

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
          What about Amir Khan?
          He might be a draw, but would you consider him a global star? Thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
            It's gonna be a different list according to each country you examine. I will say that I think Mayweather generates the largest amount of revenue right now.
            I agree that Floyd probably is biggest at the boxoffice, but in terms of global popularity I'm pretty sure that Pacman comes in first. You do have a point though. It's all about how much emphasis you put into your criteria.

Comment

He might be a draw, but would you consider him a global star? Thought so.

Only real global stars in boxing are Floyd, Hatton and Pac just breaking in.. to be fair. Oscar was in the list too but he retired.

Comment

mayweather
                pacquiao
                hatton
                roy jones jr
                mosley
                haye
                wlad klitschko
                vitali klitschko
                miguel cotto
                bernard hopkins

Id say these fighters are the most famous in the world right now and imo thats how you judge if a fighter is a global star or not. But I don't really think any of these are a real global star in the sense that they are famous around the world. The most recent real global star is probably Mike Tyson.

Comment

I think you have a pretty solid list Bat, seeing as something like this is hard to do and for the criteria you presented.

For example, there's a fight in Japan at the end of the month that is expected to have 40-50 million people watching, yet I wouldn't call them stars outside of Japan or Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by snootz86 View Post
                    Only real global stars in boxing are Floyd, Hatton and Pac just breaking in.. to be fair. Oscar was in the list too but he retired.
                    Yeah. There's no Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson ATM, so we'll have to live with what we have.

I would add Hopkins and arguably the klits to your list of global stars.

Comment

Good points. I didn't put in those 2 because of their shady pasts. It bears down heavily on their star-power IMO.
                      Yes, but I think that their past also makes them more talked about and therefore more famous.

You could make an argument for P.Wills place on that list too I think. (and Toney???)

Comment

Working...
                      X