Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    So what would your top 10 be then?
    lets see, probably something like :

Pacquiao
    Mayweather
    Hatton
    Cotto
    Haye (very high up the list but you do say 'right now')
    Wlad K
    Vitali K
    Roy Jones
    Mosley
    Marquez

Comment

Originally posted by Hyde View Post
      I know, thats why I'm making counter arguements. You go ahead and try to counter my counter arguements with something. Because theres no way in hell that Kessler, Abraham and Bute have more global stardom than RJJ, Mosley and Hatton. You can't just re-define words you know, global stardom is about how famous one is not how good of a fighter one is. No disrespect or anything but this is just how I feel.
      I did say that the list was mine and that you'd have to have some ability to make it. I also don't like cheaters on my list. You might disagree and that's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by broxi51 View Post
        look who a bigger global star david beckham or lionel messi, beckham by a mile but i'd pick messi in my team every bloody time.

a global star is not about ability it is about making the $ or £ or whatever currency. a global star manages to elevate the sport or insome cases i.e beckham become bigger than the sport or elevate that sport like usain bolt has done.
        Yep. That's all about how to define global stardom. No easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by deadbeat hero View Post
          lets see, probably something like :

Pacquiao
          Mayweather
          Hatton
          Cotto
          Haye (very high up the list but you do say 'right now')
          Wlad K
          Vitali K
          Roy Jones
          Mosley
          Marquez
          It's not that far from mine is it?

Still I wouldn't think that JMM has a big enough following. That's why I excluded him off of my list. To be fair to you, it's possible that Haye with his win has made himself a big enough draw to be considered. It's also possible that he needs another big win.

Comment

It's not that far from mine is it?

Still I wouldn't think that JMM has a big enough following. That's why I excluded him off of my list. To be fair to you, it's possible that Haye with his win has made himself a big enough draw to be considered. It's also possible that he needs another big win.

yeah, they're pretty similar. I guessed that Marquez would be better known globally than the likes of Bute, Kessler & Abraham simply because he's been in high profile fights with two of the top three on the list (I also have a sneaky feeling he will have been in the ring with Hatton by this time next year, but that's not really relevant in this thread).

I think people are right in saying this list is going to be affected by whereabouts in the world you are, its unavoidable really, but I think most people would agree on the top three, the rest, well you could flip a coin really - there are only three active global stars in boxing.

Comment

I wouldn't consider RJJ a global star any more. He's waaaaaaaayyyyy past it.

As stated earlier I wouldn't want to include SSM due to his shady past.
              RJJ isn't a huge pull but he is a star, more so then some others on the list in some ways.

I think the list focuse's too much on prime top boxers.

James Toney's still a bigger name and star than David Haye. Odd as it is to say. He's just not flavour of the moment with as recent influx of hype.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
                RJJ isn't a huge pull but he is a star, more so then some others on the list in some ways.

I think the list focuse's too much on prime top boxers.

James Toney's still a bigger name and star than David Haye. Odd as it is to say. He's just not flavour of the moment with as recent influx of hype.
                Possible. Feel free to make a list with less emphasis on that criteria!

Comment

Possible. Feel free to make a list with less emphasis on that criteria!
                  1: Manny Pacquiao
                  2: Floyd Mayweather
                  3: Miguel Cotto
                  4: Wlad Klitschko
                  5: Vitali Klitschko
                  6: Ricky Hatton
                  7: Bernard Hopkins - Bigger than Holyfield?
                  8: Arthur Abraham - Taylors still a bigger name.
                  9: Kelly Pavlik - Kelly's fallen off, Mosley bigger previous name, bigger now
                  10: Mikkel Kessler - Not a world star really, swap for Roy Jones
                  11: Lucien Bute - Nope, swap with Haye
                  Last edited by Kris Silver; 11-11-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
                    1: Manny Pacquiao
                    2: Floyd Mayweather
                    3: Miguel Cotto
                    4: Wlad Klitschko
                    5: Vitali Klitschko
                    6: Ricky Hatton
                    7: Bernard Hopkins - Bigger than Holyfield?
                    8: Arthur Abraham - Taylors still a bigger name.
                    9: Kelly Pavlik - Kelly's fallen off, Mosley bigger previous name, bigger now
                    10: Mikkel Kessler - Not a world star really, swap for Roy Jones
                    11: Lucien Bute - Nope, swap with Haye
                    Thanks.

It's possible that Taylor belongs on the list although his stock and drawing power has fallen significantly. Abraham is massive in continental Europe particularly in the german speaking part, and is building a following in the states as well. He should be on the list IMO.

PS: I think you made a typo regarding Cotto for Bute. Cotto is already at no. 3. ?

Comment

Thanks.

It's possible that Taylor belongs on the list although his stock and drawing power has fallen significantly. Abraham is massive in continental Europe particularly in the german speaking part, and is building a following in the states as well. He should be on the list IMO.

PS: I think you made a typo regarding Cotto for Bute. Cotto is already at no. 3. ?
                      Yeah Abraham and Kessler are on the brink of becoming a lot bigger and being worthy on there I think. Just not quite yet with the likes of some of them. Subjective though really, they're stocks will rise while some others fall I agree.

Yeah I spotted Cotto, stuck Haye instead. A lot of that is him being a mouthy western HW champion!

Comment

Working...
                      X