Mayweather Should Get The Most Money, Says Schaefer
Collapse
-
-
Comment
-
Zab lost to Baldomir on Jan 8th. Margarito already had a fight scheduled in a different venue (Aladdin) for Feb 22nd.
Arum had them both under contract. Floyd did not duck margarito. Everybody wanted to go forward with the Zab fight: Floyd, Arum, HBO, King, Judah.
I remember because Pepsi had a contract with Thomas & Mack.
See the article i just posted.
At the time the Judah fight was made, Zab was undisputed champion and #10 p4p. After he lost to baldo, then Zab slipped from the p4p rankings. And lost a belt. So they RE made the contract. Floyd tried to pressure Hatton to take the April PPV date, but Ricky wanted 3 tune-ups.Comment
-
why don't we just wait to see what the pac-cotto numbers are?J-RO.... REMEMBER, THE MARGARITO OFFER DID NOT COME UNTIL AFTER FLOYD BOUGHT OUT OF THE TOP RANK CONTRACT....WHICH WAS AFTER THE JUDAH FIGHT,
Updated: January 24, 2006, 2:53 AM ET
Judah, Mayweather to fight in Vegas on April 8
Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive
LAS VEGAS -- One week ago, Zab Judah's claim as welterweight champion went up in smoke when he was shockingly upset by unheralded Carlos Baldomir. Also up in smoke: Judah's planned spring super-fight with pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Or so everyone thought.
But this is boxing and the show apparently must go on.
Mayweather promoter Bob Arum and Judah promoter Don King told ESPN.com on Friday that regardless of Judah's stunning loss, he and Mayweather will still meet here in a 12-rounder on April 8 at the Thomas & Mack Center in an HBO PPV main event.
"We've reworked our deals but the fight will still go on," Arum said. "There are a lot of people who want to see the fight even though Judah lost. Is it as big as it was had Judah not lost? Probably not. Can it still be an exciting event for boxing fans? Sure."
Mayweather and Judah, both fast and flashy fighters, were once close friends. But they have grown more distant as they have viciously trash-talked each other for the past several months in anticipation of an eventual meeting, which, prior to Judah's defeat, figured to be one of the most significant fights of 2006.
A news conference announcing the fight is planned for Feb. 1 in New York, Arum said.
Longtime rivals Arum and King have reworked their deal, both confirmed. Arum also said that he and Mayweather worked out a new deal and that an agreement with HBO PPV was in place.
The one item remaining to be finalized is King and Judah agreeing to terms with each other. However, that appears to be a formality given that Judah has few options coming off a loss, and none nearly as lucrative as a fight with Mayweather (35-0, 24 KOs).
"Don't worry about that. Me and Zab are together. The fight will happen," King said.
Arum and King spent the past week reworking the terms of the fight after Baldomir won a unanimous decision against a woefully underprepared Judah (34-3, 25 KOs) on Jan. 7 in New York.
Mayweather, a junior welterweight titlist moving up to welterweight, had been scheduled to earn a minimum $6 million to face Judah while the Judah/King side was to earn $3 million plus a percentage of the profits.
However, with Judah losing, the deal points have changed significantly. Mayweather will earn a minimum $5 million while the Judah/King side will be guaranteed $1 million plus a percentage of profits above $7 million.
In addition, host casinos Caesars Palace and Wynn Las Vegas reduced the amount of their promised ticket buy by $600,000. Arum also reduced the top ticket price for the fight from $800 to $700.Comment
-
i know the 8mil offer came after Judah. I am not arguing that. Again he could of possibly made more money in fighting Mararito instead of Baldomir. that is what I said. I also I have no problem with him choosing to fight Baldomir instead of Margrito cuz it was for a lineal claim. I said the Judah fight should of not happened. He could of fought Margarito instead of Judah I know there was no offer but if Floyd had said I don't want Zab anymore cuz he lossed to a bum. The Margarito offer could of came. Or just fight Baldomir instead Judah. That is what I am saying bro. The Judah fight was highly anticipated but when Judah lossed. Nobody was excited anymore.J-RO.... REMEMBER, THE MARGARITO OFFER DID NOT COME UNTIL AFTER FLOYD BOUGHT OUT OF THE TOP RANK CONTRACT....WHICH WAS AFTER THE JUDAH FIGHT,
Updated: January 24, 2006, 2:53 AM ET
Judah, Mayweather to fight in Vegas on April 8
Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive
LAS VEGAS -- One week ago, Zab Judah's claim as welterweight champion went up in smoke when he was shockingly upset by unheralded Carlos Baldomir. Also up in smoke: Judah's planned spring super-fight with pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Or so everyone thought.
But this is boxing and the show apparently must go on.
Mayweather promoter Bob Arum and Judah promoter Don King told ESPN.com on Friday that regardless of Judah's stunning loss, he and Mayweather will still meet here in a 12-rounder on April 8 at the Thomas & Mack Center in an HBO PPV main event.
"We've reworked our deals but the fight will still go on," Arum said. "There are a lot of people who want to see the fight even though Judah lost. Is it as big as it was had Judah not lost? Probably not. Can it still be an exciting event for boxing fans? Sure."
Mayweather and Judah, both fast and flashy fighters, were once close friends. But they have grown more distant as they have viciously trash-talked each other for the past several months in anticipation of an eventual meeting, which, prior to Judah's defeat, figured to be one of the most significant fights of 2006.
A news conference announcing the fight is planned for Feb. 1 in New York, Arum said.
Longtime rivals Arum and King have reworked their deal, both confirmed. Arum also said that he and Mayweather worked out a new deal and that an agreement with HBO PPV was in place.
The one item remaining to be finalized is King and Judah agreeing to terms with each other. However, that appears to be a formality given that Judah has few options coming off a loss, and none nearly as lucrative as a fight with Mayweather (35-0, 24 KOs).
"Don't worry about that. Me and Zab are together. The fight will happen," King said.
Arum and King spent the past week reworking the terms of the fight after Baldomir won a unanimous decision against a woefully underprepared Judah (34-3, 25 KOs) on Jan. 7 in New York.
Mayweather, a junior welterweight titlist moving up to welterweight, had been scheduled to earn a minimum $6 million to face Judah while the Judah/King side was to earn $3 million plus a percentage of the profits.
However, with Judah losing, the deal points have changed significantly. Mayweather will earn a minimum $5 million while the Judah/King side will be guaranteed $1 million plus a percentage of profits above $7 million.
In addition, host casinos Caesars Palace and Wynn Las Vegas reduced the amount of their promised ticket buy by $600,000. Arum also reduced the top ticket price for the fight from $800 to $700.Comment
-
Ross is a smart guy, but they over-committed to GBP.
Smart people in business make mistakes. It's an imperfect business.
What people don't realize is that Big corporations develop strat plans. And, as such, have to commit to revenue and profit projections to The Street. So, in the process of committing early, you make some not-so-great decisions.
New Coke
Pepsi Clear
Sony BetamaxComment
-
Comment
-
OK??? Have you read what I been saying about the Baldomir fight?
I don't know Margarito was 6-1 against Ring Magazine top 10 WW at the time the #1 contender for the lineal claim. But, I guess that meant nothing though right?Comment
Comment