No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Trainer Talk: Breaking Down Fury vs. Usyk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxviewer View Post

That's how i am expecting it to go as well. Usyk is going to give Fury a boxing clinic and might even stop him in the late rounds.

This is the very first time Fury's fighting an elite boxer is his prime.
    I don’t think he’ll stop fury personally, I think it’s unlikely anyone does cos fury’s bites down tbf to him, but for sure I’m expecting a clinic now

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo7 View Post
      That was interesting to read their thoughts on the fight. Got me rethinking how this fight might go.
      How you seeing it now?

Comment

i thought this was a really excellent article, with more genuine content and analysis than twenty other articles.

I like what Shane McGuigan said about Usyk needing to make Fury fight at an unrealistic pace, and Teddy Atlas' comments about how Fury could give himself a big edge just by using the jab and forcing Usyk to gamble coming in -- also smart saying how the Ngannou fight followed by the delay will have benefitted Fury by giving him a wake-up call that he really needed to train properly and the time to act on that realisation.

Comment

Originally posted by fistic flow View Post
          No one really mentioned it, but Fury will surely shift between stances to throw Usyk off.
          Usyk was doing orthodox stance in todays media work out ,who’s to say he doesn’t box orthodox when he wants knowing Fury spent an entire camp training for a southpaw ? Shifting between stances got him in trouble with Ngannou because Ngannou ignored all that circus stuff and just went straight at Fury timing him as well , Usyk will be unfazed he knows every angle .

Comment

Fury, easy work.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
              Usyk was doing orthodox stance in todays media work out ,
              And Fury was doing Southpaw

Lots of funny business going on. I don't expect either will change from their natural stance.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post

And Fury was doing Southpaw

Lots of funny business going on. I don't expect either will change from their natural stance.
                Yea but Fury can box southpaw, in fact i know his best power punch is in south paw stance it’s the left wide hook …he generates the most power with that punch at southpaw…Tommy knowledge I’ve never seen Usyk box orthodox in public ?

Comment

Some very good analysis in this one. People keep pushing these sound bites about Fury leaning on his opponents and going to the body, but that's easier said than done. Usyk and Loma trained wrestling skills like swimming the hands, how to drop weight so your opponent will either fall or have to support your weight on the biceps, and how to land cuffing shots over the top. Loma is particularly good at shifting out of the way right when they're trying to tie up and ending up behind that lead shoulder. Watch his fight with Nakatani for some great examples of how active wrestling on the inside sets up offense.

We also saw how badly things went for Fury when he was up against an opponent with wrestling skills. Fury is used to guys just letting him lean on them and waiting for the ref to break it up, but Usyk doesn't need to do that. And if he's trained that fight on the inside, it doesn't require a lot of energy. If you're doing it right, you can use the bigger guy's weight against him with technique. There's a whole martial art designed around that, and if you've ever watched (or trained with) a Muay Thai practitioner who specializes in clinch fighting (Dieselnoi or Petchboonchu come to mind), you can see how effortlessly they can toss around bigger opponents.

McGuigan made some good points about how body work may require Fury to give up some of his height and reach advantages. That might prove costly.

Personally, I'm expecting either Usyk to dominate technically (but still only get a 115-113 card from at least one judge, like Bivol v Canelo), Fury to prove too big and overwhelm Usyk, or if it's actually a close points fight, Usyk to lose a very controversial split decision despite outlanding Fury in most rounds. Those seem like the most likely outcomes to me.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post

Yea but Fury can box southpaw, in fact i know his best power punch is in south paw stance it’s the left wide hook …he generates the most power with that punch at southpaw…Tommy knowledge I’ve never seen Usyk box orthodox in public ?
                    I doubt you ever will again either. The public workout isn't for training, it's purely for show.

Comment

Always like hearing Teddy Atlas talk;seems to come from a honest place

Comment

Working...
                      X