Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historically, who is Mexico's best professional boxer under super bantamweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historically, who is Mexico's best professional boxer under super bantamweight?

Now that Estrada is near retirement and can be on the conversation considering his achievements, who is the most accomplished fighter from Mexico below 122?

Until Julio César Chávez came onto the scene, Olivares was considered Mexico's best boxer. At Bantamweight which he has the most unified title bouts (6) up to date, he had wins over Jose Medel, Takao Sakurai, Lionel Rose, and Chucho Castillo. Above at featherweight he had beaten Bobby Chacon X2 and at the end of his career he beat Jose Luis Ramirez at 135. He had a knockout rate of 95.8% at Bantamweight with a record of (69-2-1) prior to moving up above his weight class.

​Humberto Gonzalez was known for his trilogy with ATG Michael Carbajal at light flyweight. Was one of the first pay per view fights which was the first million-dollar fight in Jr. Flyweight boxing history (both fighters were guaranteed one million dollars in earnings) and also the first Jr. Flyweight fight in history to head a Pay Per View boxing card. He had beaten champions like Yul-woo Lee, Jung-Koo Chang, Juan Domingo Cordoba, Gold Olympian Kwang-sun Kim, Melcher Cob Castro X2 and Michael Carbajal X2.

Carlos Zarate prior moving up and facing ATG Wilfredo Gomez, fought at 118 with a record of (52-0) with 98% knockout rate (51 knockouts). He had beaten Rodolfo Martinez was coming off a win against HOF Rafael Herrera, Alberto Davila, and Alfonso Zamora who was a silver Olympian medalist coming off with a undefeated winning streak of (29-0, 29 KOs) (He never recovered after the bout).

He also had a controversial loss to Lupe Pintor having retired for 7 years until he made a temporary comeback.

Ricardo Lopez was two division champion at mini flyweight and light flyweight. He had defeated champions like Hideyuki Ohashi, Pretty Boy Lucas, Kermin Guardia, Will Grigsby, Zolani Petelo, Alex Sanchez, and Rosendo Alvarez. He has a record of 51-0-1 (38 knockouts).

Gilberto Roman competed at Super Flyweight, with honestly one of the most underrated resumes at the division. He had wins over Antonio Avelar, Jiro Watanabe (one of the first super flyweight champions as the division was relatively new), Sugar Baby Rojas x2, Juan Carazo, Kiyoshi Hatanaka, and Santos Laciar.

Miguel Canto at flyweight, had beaten Shoji Oguma X3, Martin Vargas X2, Betulio Gonzalez X2, Susumu Hanagata, and Gabriel Bernal. The trainer Jesus Rivero who implemented his defensive fundamentals, only ever trained another boxer, which was Oscar De La Hoya's defense at 135 and hasn't trained any other boxer ever since.

Juan Francisco Estrada a current fighter with a record of 44-3 (38 knockouts) is going to fight P4P fighter Jesse "Bam" Rodriguez. He is a two division champion at 112-115. He has beaten Juan Carlos Sanchez, Milan Melindo, Hernan Marquez, Brian Viloria, Giovani Segura, Carlos Cuadras X2 , Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, and Roman Gonzalez X2.

Last edited by Feroz; 05-14-2024, 02:41 AM.

The lineal strawweight crown has been vacant since Lopez vacated it in 1999. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
      The lineal strawweight crown has been vacant since Lopez vacated it in 1999. Sad.
      Oscar Collazo vs Ginjiro Shigeoka could be really entertaining at strawweight. Winner could easily unify all the belts in the division against Freshmart and Jerusalem.

Comment

Bumping this thread, because I am curious that if Estrada does beat Bam Rodriguez. He be deserving to be in a higher standing than let's say Ricardo Lopez and Ruben Olivares.

Lopez has been undefeated, but he only fought one Hall of Famer in Rosendo Alvarez at the end of his career. Having a controversial draw in the first fight due to a head cut and a close bout in the rematch which Ricardo won decisively.

In the other hand Estrada had beaten five Hall of Famers in Giovani Segura, Brian Viloria, Carlos Cuadras X2, Rungvisai and Roman Gonzalez X2 who potentially is a ATG. Whether his win over Chocolatito in the second bout is controversial, it was a close competitive bout.

Olivares beat:

-Lionel Rose who was champ and in a undefeated streak, Rose had beaten Chucho Castillo, Jose Medel, Takao Sakurai and Fighting Harada. He also beat lightweight Guts Ishimatsu.

-Chucho Castillo X2 who was WBO champ having defeated Rafael Herrera and Ruben Olivares once in a trilogy.

-Bobby Chacon X2, a natural featherweight who held the WBC titles at featherweight and super featherweight. Known for his bouts against Arturo Frias, Chucho Castillo, Danny Lopez, Cornelius Boza Edwards, Rafael "Bazooka" Limon x2, and Ruben Olivares.

-Jose Luis Ramirez at 135 with a record of (43-2). Olivares was at the high end of his career though Ramirez was 19 years old. Went to become champion, beat Edwin Rosario in a rematch after a controversial loss. 10 years later he also a controversial competitive win against Pernell Whitaker.

Comment

What will your answer be if Bam wins? What if it's by stoppage?

I personally think if Estrada wins he needs to fight Ioka finally. He's only ever fought one unification, as I recall, across all his title reigns.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
            What will your answer be if Bam wins? What if it's by stoppage?

I personally think if Estrada wins he needs to fight Ioka finally. He's only ever fought one unification, as I recall, across all his title reigns.
            I agree that he should fight Ioka if he wins against Rodriguez, if not then Bam vs Ioka should be the fight to make.

If Bam wins by stoppage I don't think it takes away from what Estrada has already achieved as he is fighting a P4P fighter. But if he is unable to beat Bam, then I don't think he has achieved more than let's say Olivares who was winning convincingly by stopping everyone at 118 in their tracks while Estrada worked quite harder to get the wins. Though Ruben was stopped three times (two by KO) at the end of his run at Bantamweight. He had at least beaten one of them twice already (Castillo) and Herrera was a accomplished fighter.

My list with his current standing would be:

1. Ruben Olivares
            2. Ricardo Lopez
            3. Humberto Gonzalez
            4. Juan Francisco Estrada
            5. Carlos Zarate
            6. Miguel Canto
            7. Gilberto Roman
            8. Jorge Arce
            9. Lupe Pintor
            ​10. Rafael Marquez/Rafael Herrera/Chucho Castillo

If he beats Bam and retired then probably Rank him higher than Lopez or Gonzalez.
            Last edited by Feroz; 05-14-2024, 08:43 PM.
            crimsonfalcon07 crimsonfalcon07 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post

I agree that he should fight Ioka if he wins against Rodriguez, if not then Bam vs Ioka should be the fight to make.

If Bam wins by stoppage I don't think it takes away from what Estrada has already achieved as he is fighting a P4P fighter. But if he is unable to beat Bam, then I don't think he has achieved more than let's say Olivares who was winning convincingly by stopping everyone at 118 in their tracks while Estrada worked quite harder to get the wins. Though Ruben was stopped three times (two by KO) at the end of his run at Bantamweight. He had at least beaten one of them twice already (Castillo) and Herrera was a accomplished fighter.

My list with his current standing would be:

1. Ruben Olivares
              2. Ricardo Lopez
              3. Humberto Gonzalez
              4. Juan Francisco Estrada
              5. Carlos Zarate
              6. Miguel Canto
              7. Gilberto Roman
              8. Jorge Arce
              9. Lupe Pintor
              ​10. Rafael Marquez/Rafael Herrera/Chucho Castillo

If he beats Bam and retired then probably Rank him higher than Lopez or Gonzalez.
              Solid detail in that answer. I like your reasoning. Thanks!
              El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

Working...
              X