No announcement yet.

Canelo Alvarez vs Jamie Munguia - Amazon/DAZN PPV - Fight by Fight Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joseph View Post

Not what I saw, but just my opinion. Canelo was blocking nearly everything Munguia threw at him and in return landed the cleaner shots. I'll give Munguia workrate but he was sloppy.
    That's the thing. Work rate doesn't mean as much when you're landing in the 20% range. People on here impressed by seeing punches thrown, but Canelo defended near on 75% of them. Defense is also a scoring criteria, which people forget.

Effective aggression. Munguía was getting countered regularly throughout the fight. That's not effective aggression.

Defense. Canelo blocked the majority of the offense coming his way.

Ring general. Did that look like a normal Canelo fight or a normal Munguía fight? Who imposed their style on the other?

Hard and clean punching. Who was landing the majority of the hard and clean punches? The guy who landed 50% of his power punches.

Don't be impressed by volume. The main thing that impressed me about Munguía is his toughness. Kid got grit. But that wasn't a close fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd is TBE View Post
      Anybody else getting tired of Canelo glazers acting like he's this old man that has to fight conservative? He's only 33! He should be walking em down then knocking out guys on Munguia's level, but Canelo has never had skills like that.
      Smfh.

Dude is clearly older, he had 65 pro fights at 33. That’s a ton of fights.

Listen to a professional boxer Shawn Porter just now. He just said Canelo is an old 33 and is closer to 40 in boxing years.

What is Canelo in his prime? Lol dude is old plain and simple.

Comment

• I don’t know if Canelo carried Munguia but it’s a little suspect because whenever he landed a good punch to liver you saw Munguias pain and hand drop. And Canelo did not follow it up. That to me made no sense.

Comment

• little weird that canelo hurt him especially in the 12th and didnt follow up.

Comment

• Canelo was sure he was going to KO Mungia. I think the resilience and the fight that Mungia put up is great for his brand and raises his stock but I think both guys resilience and resolve will be reduced in their next fights. Both guys have had grueling fights lately (aside from the Jermell fight), and that takes a lot out of a fighter.

Another thing...Mungia looked faster than Canelo for the first many rounds. Canelo's accuracy and speed looked notably worse than usual. Mungia was hit with so many hard shots that he looked bad at the end of the fight....I thought Mungia would be the fresher guy at the end but he took so many flush shots that he was struggling at the end. That was a war!
            BustedKnuckles BustedKnuckles likes this.

Comment

• Props to Canelo. Still the man after all this time.
              Regge Regge likes this.

Comment

• Excellent performance from Canelo!! Thought he could've got the stoppage but great performance from Canelo!!

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

You really believe Canelo carried Munguia? That’s not what I saw. I saw a very old Canelo taking time off when ever he could, and also cautious about Munguia’s power.

That’s BS that he carried him. Dude when a boxer predicts a KO, and with DLH talking the way he did, you don’t carry your opponent. Canelo tried and failed to KO Munguia. Clear as day actually. Like anyone with two eyes can see that he tired. He just couldn’t do it.
                  Nelo landed 50% of his power shots that is a absurd percentage Munguia is one tough bastard going the distance.

Comment

• Munguia had the fight under control until he ******ly decided to play with Canelo on the inside/short distance in the 4rd round. He was doing well from long and mid range.

Comment

• It is easier said than done what Bivol did.

In the first 3 rounds, Munguia did it very good. Boxing past his jab. I felt like he was winning the fight.

When he started to become careless in defense , he almost got knocked out by un uppercut.

You don`t play with the guy like Canelo like this on a short range. From here on, it was Canelo`s fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X