Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jose Ramirez Buckled, But Ultimately Beats Rances Barthelemy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early in his career, I had some hopes for Barthelemy; he showed skills, heart and pop. Then his style and attitude in the ring changed, and Rances became hard to watch. I didn’t catch the fight last night; but, based on the result, Ramirez either underestimated a 38 year-old fighter who hasn’t fought in nearly a year, or just isn’t that good. Which is it?
    FinitoxDinamita FinitoxDinamita likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Early in his career, I had some hopes for Barthelemy; he showed skills, heart and pop. Then his style and attitude in the ring changed, and Rances became hard to watch. I didn’t catch the fight last night; but, based on the result, Ramirez either underestimated a 38 year-old fighter who hasn’t fought in nearly a year, or just isn’t that good. Which is it?
      Ramirez himself was also inactive....two months more inactive than Rances actually. Ramirez seems to have a southpaw problem, because Rances was landing similar punches to Taylor.
      CubanGuyNYC CubanGuyNYC likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

Ramirez himself was also inactive....two months more inactive than Rances actually. Ramirez seems to have a southpaw problem, because Rances was landing similar punches to Taylor.
        Ah, I was unaware of Ramirez’s inactivity. And the southpaw issue isn’t uncommon. How did Bart look? Did he come to fight?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post

Ah, I was unaware of Ramirez’s inactivity. And the southpaw issue isn’t uncommon. How did Bart look? Did he come to fight?
          Ramirez essentially forced Rances to fight. Ramirez led the dance while Rances played the counter-puncher. Even when Ramirez got stunned, he would eventually get back on the front foot. Ramirez's consistent body attack eventually zapped Rances power/stamina and all Rances could do for the last 3-4 rounds was survive. It was pretty entertaining, but Team Ramirez should be a bit concerned. IDK how much of his performance can be blamed on ring rust. Ramirez demonstrated a high work-rate and grit, but his overall defense and punch resistance....he could be in serious trouble against a fresher/sharper opponent. Maybe he needs to move up to the full 147lb limit, maybe not. Surely GBP is going to try and make Garcia/Ramirez next.
          Last edited by kiaba360; 04-28-2024, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Ramirez has done well for himself but I always felt he was a bit overrated. He was promoted and hyped hard by ESPN/Top Rank and has a very devoted fanbase; He's been in some tough, close fights where that backing may have allowed him to eke out victories against opponents (Zepeda, Postol). He also swerved Prograis.

He's getting older and his style is hard to maintain at a high level towards the back half of a career.

BlackRobb BlackRobb likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

Ramirez essentially forced Rances to fight. Ramirez led the dance while Rances played the counter-puncher. Even when Ramirez got stunned, he would eventually get back on the front foot. Ramirez's consistent body attack eventually zapped Rances power/stamina and all Rances could do for the last 3-4 rounds was survive. It was pretty entertaining, but Team Ramirez should be a bit concerned. IDK how much of his performance can be blamed on ring rust. Ramirez demonstrated a high work-rate and grit, but his overall defense and punch resistance....he could be in serious trouble against a fresher/sharper opponent. Maybe he needs to move up to the full 147lb limit, maybe not. Surely GBP is going to try and make Garcia/Ramirez next.
              Thanks for the synopsis.

Comment

That way he was getting hit by a left shows you why the fruit picker won't fight Prograis. It is still a good fight because both guys are at the way down. They will sacrifice Ramirez to Garcia. Ramirez's strength is his conditioning but that is it. He doesn't punch that hard and even less now.
                Hustle Hustle likes this.

Comment

Well there it is. Ramirez vs ryan at whatever catchweight Ryan wants in LA.

Pitbull fights in August so he wouldn't be able to fight ryan until November/December So he's out unless gbp wants to wait.

I wouldn't wait. With Ryan's momentum and lack of focus out of the ring. I would be trying to keep ryan as active as possible

So ramirez is the cherry for August/September

Comment

Sergio Mora commentary was atrocious last night. Robert Garcia was telling Ramirez exactly what he needed to do to avoid the left hands, which was keep the fight on the inside. Any time he was at a distance he was getting smoked. Mora was saying ramirez needed to back up and pot shot because he was getting caught coming in LOL
                    charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Rances Through a total of 112 Punches and is getting credited for finally having an interesting fight lol. What a wasted career of a guy who really had legitimate talent
                      charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X