Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Errol Spence Sues Derrick James, Too: Argues Pay Was Consistent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless there's something more to this it just seems really shady by Spence imo. You made $25m (on top of all the millions you've already made), how much money do you need? Do the right thing and pay the man his $2.5m. He was right there with you putting in the work day-in, day-out, grinding in the gym for a measly $250 when you turned pro, now you finally reach the culmination of it all and get the big payoff and you want to take his big payoff away from him? I doubt the Spence family would even notice that $2.5m, but I'm pretty sure the James family would.

Al Haymon saying $350k is "generous" actually pisses me off. Is that how much Al made from the whole event? Because that would be generous, but something tells me his slice of the pie was a little bit larger. All these managers, promoters and "advisers" make sure they get their cut, but the guy who's been putting in the work with Errol for fifteen years since he was a nobody gets stiffed on his big payoff? Even if Spence feels like James didn't do enough in the Crawford fight, you pay him that money unquestioningly out of sheer loyalty if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
      imagine a team of well paid lawyers laying into spence on the witness stand, it would be carnage

errol are u telling the truth? yes thats me what do u want to know
      Ha!
      ERROL
      You want answers?

ATTORNEY
      I think I'm entitled to them.

ERROL
      You want answers?

ATTORNEY
      I want the truth!

ERROL
      You can't handle the truth!

There are gasps as the court room doors swing open and Bud enters with a fishing rod.

BUD
      I beg to differ.

ERROL
      Oh sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by rickJen View Post
        I don't think James is expecting to win this court battle as there's no written contract signed between the two.
        He's expecting it would get settled out of court and probably get satisfied with whatever he can get.
        Nothing to gain in prolonging these lawsuits other than losing more money on lawyers' fees.
        Depends on Derrick's current financial needs. Who knows, he might have bought a new house on credit.

Comment

If Errol had paid him 10% of all revenue from his ppv fights (gtd + buy %) & didn't clearly establish the buy % part 10% was a win bonus or a random bonus for Derrick he might have trouble here lol.

That said anytime you got money involved in a situation especially big money like this you need more than words for both sides benefit. You need to write something down on wtf you are doing & not doing to avoid bs like this.
          NC Uppercut NC Uppercut likes this.

Comment

Errol also owes Bud a million for losing their bet.

Comment

As per this article, it seems that Spence says he paid the 10% from the Crawford fight, and James says he didn't receive it.

Also, he, Derrick, wants more in additional funds from the pay-per view takings from the Crawford fight, as it was a big 'superfight'.

It would be interesting to know what the financial agreement is between James and Ryan Garcia. But I guess that's private.

Comment

Originally posted by mjh1969 View Post
                I am sure that Derrick James gave Spence good advice and advised him to live the lifestyle of a dedicated boxer. Spence's car accident being intoxicated is a good example of this. I agree with above comments stating that everything fell apart for Spence once he lost to Bud. Spence seems to be cleaning house and blaming his former trainer for his loss. Too bad their business has to be made public. Oral agreements will not hold up in court. I see Derrick James getting screwed in the end. Spence will be on the long list of boxers blaming their trainers for losses in their fights.
                In many cases, oral agreements can be valid in court if there is sufficient evidence to prove their existence and terms. However, it can be more challenging to enforce compared to written agreements, as proving the terms can rely heavily on witness testimony and other forms of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Theshotyoudontsee View Post
                  James screwed himself. He isn't that good a trainer and had no idea what to tell Spence while he was getting beat to hell by Crawford.

If anyone cares to look at what is actually going on....James is trying to get an extra 5 million from Spence based on the fact that Spence gave him a few bonuses here and there, while hebwas consistently paying James a solid percentage of his purses, NOT including the ppv revenues. James never got a regular percentage of that revenue, he got bonuses directly from Soence when Spence wanted to give him one.

There is no written agreement. James is screwing himself. If there had been an agreement, he would have gotten paid for the previous ppv revenue that he is now suing for. He is making up **** since Spence fired him. Obvious.

People defending James aren't seeing what is actually happening. James made a living off Spence and made his name off Spence's natural ability and talents. He didn't make Spence, Spence made him. Spence barely improved over their time together and James was totally lost in the Bud fight.

Spence treated the guy better than he deserved in all honesty.
                  Get what you are saying. IT's like Virgil Hunter inheriting Andre Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    If Errol had paid him 10% of all revenue from his ppv fights (gtd + buy %) & didn't clearly establish the buy % part 10% was a win bonus or a random bonus for Derrick he might have trouble here lol.

That said anytime you got money involved in a situation especially big money like this you need more than words for both sides benefit. You need to write something down on wtf you are doing & not doing to avoid bs like this.
                    Panda,
                    sounds to me like James has a hard text copy with EJ admitting he did owe James more

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
                      Oral contracts? You don't live in a gentleman's world anymore where a mere handshake can seal a deal. Written contract or nothing, baby.
                      Oral contracts can and do stand up in courts of Business Law

Comment

Working...
                      X