Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Remembering Roberto Duran: The Best Wins Authored by 'Hands of Stone'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by just the facts View Post

Impressive showing by Duran. He did much better than anyone thought he would. But get real, he didn’t win. Almost impossible to make an unbiased opinion he did.
    That's a fine opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Boricua181 View Post
      Duran was an animal in the ring, his wins against Buchanan, Dejesus, Leonard, Palomino, Cuevas, Moore, Barkley, and draw against Haglar, were sensational.
      Duran was so good that he moved up in weight, and defeated much bigger fighters than himself with will, skill, guts, and a self belief like no other.
      Draw? Pretty sure he lost that one lol

Comment

Impressive showing by Duran. He did much better than anyone thought he would. But get real, he didn’t win. Almost impossible to make an unbiased opinion he did.
        Yeah, you're right, but can you imagine if it would have been a 12 rounder like SRL demanded? He was ahead on 2 cards after 12. He would've beaten the great Hagler and the former undisputed lightweight king becomes the undisputed middleweight champion. Would've been a remarkable

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

The third Duran Leonard fight came in 1989, when Duran was 38. Same age that Tyson was when he lost head to head to Kevin McBride. Using your posted logic (not trying to play straw man here, but so far its the logic you've posted) then you could argue that McBride was better than Tyson.....has a better record head to head.

Now, if we take a more logical stance on this, we can see that Duran and Leonard split when in or near their primes. What gives Duran the edge, in my mind, is that he moved up from his best class to SRLs best class, and split with him there. A less than best class Duran was able to beat SRL at his best class.

Hagler is my favorite fighter of all time, but him beating an older Duran at MW does nothing to diminish Duran, I look at Duran in his Lt Weight prime as being better than any of the other four at their best. Him sticking around too long and piling up losses while moving through higher weight classes does nothing to change that, in the same way as old Tyson losing to McBride does nothing to change how we should rate Tyson
          imho SRL was clearly the best of the four. "Greatest"? when you add career and achievements into the mix? Duran pulls much closer. Maybe takes it. But they're just subjective measures, and I can't and won't argue with your logic. When you ignore one eyed fanboys, and look at these kinda meaningless, kinda very important comparisons for fans with evidence and logic, well that's what makes it fun! Great post!

Comment

This is the dumbest phucking thing I’ve ever read. If it’s your opinion that Duran is the best of the four, with the longevity and tremendous lightweight reign, no problem. But when you post incredibly dumb shyte like “h2h don’t mean much”, you aren’t really that dumb, are you? Likely the stupidest post in NSB history and that’s saying a lot.
            Nah, he's right.

Ranking a much smaller fighter as lesser P4P because he lost to much larger elite men is "phucking stupid".

Duran was by far the smallest AND oldest of the big 4 and competed admirably with all of them, including moving up 2 weight classes to beat the prime version of Leonard.

That's probably the greatest win in boxing history.

Comment

Oh yeah, you guys need to change that title

You know damn well what people were going to think when they read "Remembering Roberto Duran"

Comment

the title of this article makes it seem like he passed away. Trashy Click bait

Comment

Originally posted by sege64 View Post

imho SRL was clearly the best of the four. "Greatest"? when you add career and achievements into the mix? Duran pulls much closer. Maybe takes it. But they're just subjective measures, and I can't and won't argue with your logic. When you ignore one eyed fanboys, and look at these kinda meaningless, kinda very important comparisons for fans with evidence and logic, well that's what makes it fun! Great post!
                  I think the Duran problem is, he was basically at his greatest before there was a four kings. If you look at it just during the four kings era, then you're right, SRL is the best. The best Duran was mid to late 70s, SRL and Hearns were still in the amateurs or barely turning pro when Duran was at his best and Hagler was barely gaining traction.

Regardless, SRL & Duran are neck and neck for the greatest living fighter, and though I'll get fired up for this barstool kind of debate it is just splitting hairs.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

Draw? Pretty sure he lost that one lol
                    That's what the judges decision was for that particular fight. Whether Hagler won or loss he couldn't knockout, or even drop Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Boricua181 View Post

That's what the judges decision was for that particular fight. Whether Hagler won or loss he couldn't knockout, or even drop Duran.
                      lol what?

Comment

Working...
                      X