Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran vs Julio Cesar Chavez Sr at 135-140, who would have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to go with Duran on this one. I think it's a tough battle early on and into the middle rounds as well. But Duran's body work and inside fighting are a hair above Julio's and he breaks the Mexican down for a late-rounds rally and possible knockdown. I think Chavez goes the distance and loses a close, but unanimous decision.

Comment

Duran kills him lol

Come on guys. Chavez probably quits on his stool like he did against Oscar.
      charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Oh, you mean like Duran quit Leonard? lol.

Comment

*against leonard

Comment

Originally posted by real raw View Post
            *against leonard
            Chavez Sr isn't Leonard though, he would lose at 147 against either Duran and Leonard as they prove to be too physically stronger and their skills translate better at 147. By the way, I am thinking while Duran's physical prime was at 135-140, his skills seem to have developed dramatically at higher weight classes (147-154) like Pacquiao, having accomplished more by beating Cuevas, Palomino, Moore, Leonard and Barkley.

(He also made it tough for Hagler to get the win).

There are traces of what his defense which has been polished, but he doesn't seem to be the same illusive and tactical fighter I seen before. Bachunan gave him hell with his illusiveness. Esteban De Jesus and Vilomar Fernandez made it a 50/50 exchange war until they got overwhelmed by his prowess.

Duran might be the greatest lightweight achievement wise because he managed to have a huge streak with solid competition at lightweight while he managed to accomplish more by climbing up to middleweight, but I don't think he is the best lightweight. After checking his fights at the lower weight classes, he might hell to Julio, but I am not convinced he is skilled enough to beat Chavez Sr at 135-140 who knows how to handle athletic punchers like Rosario, Camacho and Taylor. He in my opinion has the edge in skill coupled with punching power, durability and gas tank to not get overwhelmed.
            Last edited by Feroz; 03-17-2024, 05:34 PM.
            PryorHawk PryorHawk likes this.

Comment

Duran certainly had an amazing career, and i dont think Chavez would be as effective as Duran at higher weights. But 135-140, Chavez was a beast! Left hook to the body, relentless, granite chin, I'm hard pressed to find anyone I'd favor against him. Taylor was able to hang, but i think it sucked the life out of him.
              El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by real raw View Post
                Duran certainly had an amazing career, and i dont think Chavez would be as effective as Duran at higher weights. But 135-140, Chavez was a beast! Left hook to the body, relentless, granite chin, I'm hard pressed to find anyone I'd favor against him. Taylor was able to hang, but i think it sucked the life out of him.
                I agree although any top 5 ATG at the 135-140 divisions fighting each other is very competitive unless they are at stylistic disadvantage, obviously I could be wrong aswell on who would win, it's an opinion after all. Still think it be a pretty competitive fight.

But watching both fight, Chavez Sr just seems the more skilled fighter at 135-140 specifically to me, he doesn't really lag behind anywhere in physical attributes either outside of perhaps handspeed. Which is manageable in his case based on styles.

Duran ended up as the better/greater fighter, just think some are underestimating Julio's capabilities.
                Last edited by Feroz; 03-17-2024, 08:20 PM.

Comment

This is a war, but I just don't pick against Roberto Duran, sorry.
                  STREET CLEANER STREET CLEANER likes this.

Comment

Duran would prove to be a little too crafty for Chavez but damn Julio gives it a go

Comment

A war for the ages prime Chavez was granit and nearly impossible to hurt but Duran was just a tad bit greater.

Duran in an instant classic.

Comment

Working...
                      X