Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran vs Julio Cesar Chavez Sr at 135-140, who would have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberto Duran vs Julio Cesar Chavez Sr at 135-140, who would have won?

Roberto Durán Samaniego (born June 16, 1951) (103-16, 70 KOs) is a Panamanian former professional boxer who competed from 1968 to 2001. He held world championships in four weight classes: lightweight, welterweight, light middleweight and middleweight, as well as reigns as the undisputed and lineal lightweight champion, and the lineal welterweight champion. He is also the second boxer to have competed over a span of five decades, the first being Jack Johnson. Durán was known as a versatile, technical brawler and pressure fighter, which earned him the nickname of "Manos de Piedra" ("Hands of Stone") for his formidable punching power and excellent defense. In 2002, Durán was voted by The Ring magazine as the fifth greatest fighter of the last 80 years, while boxing historian Bert Sugar rated him as the eighth greatest fighter of all time. The Associated Press voted him as the best lightweight of the 20th century, with many considering him the greatest lightweight of all time. Durán retired for good in January 2002 at age 50, following a car crash in Argentina in October 2001, after which he had required life saving surgery. He had previously retired in November 1980, June 1984 and August 1998, only to change his mind. Durán ended his career with a professional record of 119 fights, 103 wins, and 70 knockouts. From May 1971 up until his second fight against Sugar Ray Leonard in November 1980, as well as in his fight against Wilfred Benítez in January 1982, Durán was trained by legendary boxing trainer Ray Arcel. Roberto Durán was born on June 16, 1951, in Guararé, Panama. His mother, Clara Samaniego, was a native of Guararé, and his father, Margarito Durán Sánchez, was from Arizona, United States, and of Mexican descent. He was raised in the slums of El Chorrillo in the district "La Casa de Piedra" (The House of Stone), in Panama City. He began sparring with experienced boxers at the Neco de La Guardia gymnasium when he was only eight years old.

His most defining wins at 135-140 defeated the likes of Jorge Castro, Ernesto Marcel, Ken Buchanan, Esteban de Jesus X2, Vilomar Fernandez, Guts Ishimatsu, and Edwin Viruet X2.

​​​
    Julio César Chávez González (born July 12, 1962) (107-6-2, 86 KOs) also known as Julio César Chávez Sr., is a Mexican former professional boxer who competed from 1980 to 2005. A multiple-time world champion in three weight divisions, Chávez was listed by The Ring magazine as the world's best boxer, pound for pound, from 1990 to 1993. During his career he held the WBC super featherweight title from 1984 to 1987, the WBA and WBC lightweight titles between 1987 and 1989, the WBC light welterweight title twice between 1989 and 1996, and the IBF light welterweight title from 1990 to 1991. He also held the Ring magazine and lineal lightweight titles from 1988 to 1989, and the lineal light welterweight title twice between 1990 and 1996. Chávez was named Fighter of the Year for 1987 and 1990 by the Boxing Writers Association of America and The Ring respectively. Chávez holds records for the most total successful defenses of world titles (27, shared with Omar Narváez), most title fight victories and fighters beaten for the title (both at 31), and most title fights (37); he has the second most title defenses won by knockout (21, after Joe Louis with 23). His fight record was 89 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw before his first professional loss to Frankie Randall in 1994, before which he had an 87-fight win streak until his draw with Pernell Whitaker in 1993. Chávez's 1993 win over Greg Haugen at the Estadio Azteca set the record for the largest attendance for an outdoor boxing match: 136,274. He is ranked as the 17th best boxer of all time, pound for pound, by BoxRec, #24 on ESPN's list of "50 Greatest Boxers of All Time", and 18th on The Ring's "80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years". In 2010 he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame for the Class of 2011.

His most defining wins at 135-140 are over Roger Mayweather X2, Greg Haugen, Jose Luis Ramirez, Edwin Rosario, Meldrick Taylor, and Hector Camacho.

Roberto "Hands of Stone" Duran
    84.00%
    Julio "The Caesar of Boxing" Chavez
    16.00%
    Last edited by Feroz; 03-16-2024, 04:19 AM.

I go with Duran as he was faster handed and Chavez has trouble with speed. Duran the light weight was at his best. It would be an interesting fight.
    STREET CLEANER STREET CLEANER likes this.

Comment

Duran. His frame and skill allowed him to climb higher weight classes than Chavez. Duran wasn't legitimately stopped until 154 against the best version of Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
        I go with Duran as he was faster handed and Chavez has trouble with speed. Duran the light weight was at his best. It would be an interesting fight.
        Having the superior handspeed is a definitive advantage for Duran, but based on the stylistic match ups, I think Chavez Sr can handle it thinking of his fights with Camacho and Taylor.

I agree it be an interesting fight indeed, Both are Orthodox pressure fighters with an underrated defense and apply smart aggression.

Duran has only been stopped once at 135 at age 21 showing tremendous chin afterwards going largely undefeated at 135 and 140. Chavez after declining heavily at age 34 has been stopped twice at 140. It likely go the distance. The winner would be based on attrition and skill.

Still Duran being the more athletic of the two might beat him to the punch and could wear him down quicker.

Originally posted by PryorHawk View Post
        Duran. His frame and skill allowed him to climb higher weight classes than Chavez. Duran wasn't legitimately stopped until 154 against the best version of Hearns.

This is Duran at 135-140 though, I know that unlike Chavez Sr, he can acclimate to higher weight classes becoming too physically durable and strong for Chavez Sr to handle, but this is the more athletic version of Roberto that can be going in a quite difficult bout with Buchanan and De Jesus.

Duran has different advantages/disadvantages based on what division he fights at, he is however still susceptible of getting damaged at any weight class he contends at like Manny Pacquiao.
        Last edited by Feroz; 03-16-2024, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I think Duran probably stops him. Duran was a MONSTER at 135.
          shwaap shwaap likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post

Having the superior handspeed is a definitive advantage for Duran, but based on the stylistic match ups, I think Chavez Sr can handle it thinking of his fights with Camacho and Taylor.

I agree it be an interesting fight indeed, Both are Orthodox pressure fighters with an underrated defense and apply smart aggression.

Duran has only been stopped once at 135 at age 21 showing tremendous chin afterwards going largely undefeated at 135 and 140. Chavez after declining heavily at age 34 has been stopped twice at 140. It likely go the distance. The winner would be based on attrition and skill.

Still Duran being the more athletic of the two might beat him to the punch and could wear him down quicker.

This is Duran at 135-140 though, I know that unlike Chavez Sr, he can acclimate to higher weight classes becoming too physically durable and strong for Chavez Sr to handle, but this is the more athletic version of Roberto that can be going in a quite difficult bout with Buchanan and De Jesus.

Duran has different advantages/disadvantages based on what division he fights at, he is however still susceptible of getting damaged at any weight class he contends at like Manny Pacquiao.
            He was never stopped at 135, never, he was down twice against DeJesus and won two out of three fights against the Boricua.

Comment

- - JCC as good as he was, no match for the ferocity and skill level of Duran at any weight.

Naturally the best JCC could beat the worst Duran as DeJesus showed, but when the match was first posed with both past their primes, Duran couldn't get down to a suitable fight weight for JCC. BTW, Roberto born in Panama to a Panamanian woman, Duran's father was reputedly Mexican...yeah!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post

He was never stopped at 135, never, he was down twice against DeJesus and won two out of three fights against the Boricua.
                yeah I made it a mistake on that part, technically Roberto has lost and avenged his loss twice.

He was also never stopped at 135

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - - JCC as good as he was, no match for the ferocity and skill level of Duran at any weight.

Naturally the best JCC could beat the worst Duran as DeJesus showed, but when the match was first posed with both past their primes, Duran couldn't get down to a suitable fight weight for JCC. BTW, Roberto born in Panama to a Panamanian woman, Duran's father was reputedly Mexican...yeah!!!
                Agree to disagree, I think Prime Chavez Sr can hang with any top fighter from 135-140 whether he wins or loses, I gotta watch more tape on Duran to make a good judgment. By the way they even tried to do an exhibition fight in 2021 but nothing came out of it.

Also yeah, two reasons why I got interested on making this thread is that when it came Canelo in a recent interview he stated:

"I can't speak against Canelo because I belong to the Mexicans. My father was mexican so I can't speak against another Mexican. For me Canelo is the greatest."

https://izquierdazo.com/amp/noticias...1113-0006.html

He be just as good in he was fully Panamanian and it is the country he represented proudly. Seems bizarre he used that quote as the reason because it doesn't matter, you can critize Canelo whether you belong to the country or not. The second is because I read his book aswell where he stated he would have beaten Chavez.

Last edited by Feroz; 03-17-2024, 02:58 AM.

Comment

I have watched Duran's fight with Esteban De Jesus 2, feels odd to see him much skinnier compared to his fight with Sugar Ray Leonard.

Was a treat to watch:

In my opinion he seems more erratic with his offense being more hittable unlike Chavez Sr whose defense improved dramatically after moving up from 130, but Duran looks more athletically gifted (with way faster handspeed then what I thought) and apparently fought in era with 15 rounds so he be consistent throught all rounds. Have to watch his fight with Vilomar Fernandez and Ken Buchanan. But so far, I actually think Julio might have an edge in terms of skill at 135 while watching Roberto's fight with Vilomar.

By the way, would have ODH stood a chance at 135-147 against a prime Duran?
                  Last edited by Feroz; 03-17-2024, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Chavez is too elusive, and Duran is there to be hit, Chavez wins.

Comment

Working...
                    X